Sign in to follow this  
mike movila

Cedar pool deck stain recommendations

Question

I am restoring a cedar pool deck for a customer previously they used TWP and were not happy due to clorine water damaging the finish in less than three months any recommendations for a stain that would be more durable would be welcomed. I am thinking most likely a salad stain thank you Mike 

4 answers to this question

Unfortunately, there is no stain on the market I am aware of that will sustain the effects of chlorine on it combined with full sun UV
any longer. A quick cleaning/neutralization and reapplication is all I can suggest at this point.

Hopefully, others may lend their experiences.
Consider though, my experiences with products is skewed by comparison due to the VOC regulations in our region over what you
have access to purchase in yours.

Rod

I've used various aromatic as well as alliphatic urethanes for deck coatings, but all are pigmented and require an extensive amount of preparation.  If they value the look of their cedar, I'd advise them to stay away from such film-forming finishes though, and stick with a good penetrating oil.  Future maintenance coats would be easy for you and affordable to your customer.