Sign in to follow this  
gt2003

Running power washer off a water tank...asking for a friend...seriously

Question

My neighbor has a hunting lease with electricity available but no water.  He is wanting to buy a power washer to use for washing off their atv's when they get muddy but wasn't sure if it would work.  I did a little looking yesterday and from what I can tell (right or wrong) is that IF the power washer is a belt drive power washer then he is OK but if it's just an inexpensive one, it relies on being fed pressurized water.  Is this accurate? 

If he opts for the cheaper option would he need some kind of inline pump to provide the needed pressure?

What would you all recommend to him?

Thanks

2 answers to this question

Since there is no need for a lot of water so a small consumption machine should work for the purpose.
Most small units are 2gpm or less and are either electric or motor.
As long as the tank is high enough to provide for a decent gravity feed with a regular garden hose, there should
be no problem. Doing a test with the tank on the flow will determine the gpm requirement of the machine that is
compatible. Just fill a bucket and time it for specific amounts...1 gal, 2 gal etc.
When the gpm (gallons per minute) capability is determined, then he can buy a unit to work in that range.

Rod

On 10/25/2018 at 5:00 PM, gt2003 said:

My neighbor has a hunting lease with electricity available but no water.  He is wanting to buy a power washer to use for washing off their atv's when they get muddy but wasn't sure if it would work.  I did a little looking yesterday and from what I can tell (right or wrong) is that IF the power washer is a belt drive power washer then he is OK but if it's just an inexpensive one, it relies on being fed pressurized water.  Is this accurate? 

If he opts for the cheaper option would he need some kind of inline pump to provide the needed pressure?

What would you all recommend to him?

Thanks

I think you are right!! Also, I want to suggest him a blog page to read before buying one. Check out here: http://www.lawncarepal.com/best-pressure-washers-reviews/