Sign in to follow this  
mike movila

Lessons Learned in 2018

Question

I am curious to learn what lessons you learned in 2018 and what things you would do differently to increase your business output. And how would you rate 2018 a success or not so much. Mike Movila 

5 answers to this question

I learned if a customer starts off asking a bunch of questions and seems like there nit picking that to bid it high because of all the extra BS you'll have to put up with. Had that to happen two different times this past year! Found out that both customers had already had others clean but wasn't satisfied with any one's results on two other pressure washing business? Go figure that ?Always follow your gut feeling on any bids? Got into a little more wood & concrete cleaning to help our 2018 be a success! May try and boost a few post on FB for increase sales ?

I find that customers like you described are often ones that have been either taken by another contractor or were given
unreasonable expectations.
I have won these types over by setting the expectations and when possible over delivering.
Then there are ones that just can't be pleased no matter what and they expect miracles. These often have conditions that can't
be reversed and likely induced by either the homeowner/diyer or a hack.
Some people are so difficult that I will intentionally bid it high to deter their acceptance but in the case they become desparate
set a very low expectation.

In the case of excessive questions, I find it that they are insecure and often a bit squirrelley to begin with. I try to be patient but
sometimes find I have to control the narrative and leave them with either yes or no responses because they don't understand
aspects about the project/scope/technology/chemistry etc. This helps them to find a path to a decision but I often have to leave
a comfort line at the end, something to the effect of....if you have any further questions you can call me at...

Guarantees. What is to guarantee in our line of work? That the dirt will come off? That the results will last 'X' years?
I offer none where this is concerned even if I am the first one on the job because there are things I have no control over.
I don't make the sealers, chemicals, stains etc. that are being applied. I didn't get the substrate dirty and have no idea of
what it has been subject to and no way to tell until AFTER the work begins to reveal what was hidden or obstructed/disguised.
What are your thoughts on Guarantees?

Rod

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:46 PM, gman201 said:

Guarantees are ok if there within reason? We only do a two year on our roof cleaning and most will last 5 years or longer. But like you said there's just some people that aren't satisfied no matter what and there expectations are to high?  We always please the customer but try to explain the ,method ,process, before we start. 

Wow those are some wonderful lessons could not agree with  you guys more. As far far guarantees I do not offer because As Rod implied there are those customers who will never be satisfied no matter how hard you try to please them.  I always vouch to do the best job possible and yield the best results. I  wish every one a prosperous 2019. Happy Spraying Mike