Question

I am new to the area (Moved down from NY), and this red clay is something new for me. Ive recently got in with a custom home builder, who calls me frequently to take care of the newly built homes. The driveways are always absolutely covered in this red clay, and its nothing short of a b**** to get cleaned. The first house I "cleaned" for him, was an absolute disaster and the driveway was still stained. I quickly learned about the beloved muriatic acid. Ive done many new homes for the company since using the acid. They have all came out okay looking.

I am able to get the driveways cleaned, however it is a very slow process, and I believe it still comes out looking like.. poop. I use a "weed sprayer" I picked up at Home Depot. You can kinda see the lap marks where I spray the acid.. 18:1

I pre-wet the concrete, keep it well saturated, spray small sections at a time, use the fan tip and go back and forth at a respectable distance.

I recently picked up the Original X-Jet, and I want to try it on the next upcoming job. Using it to obviously apply the acid in small sections, but hopefully it has a more even spread and you will not be able to see the application marks.

Any recommendations from someone who has experience with red clay on new concrete? Do you use the muriatic acid? How do you apply it? Should I be mixing stronger? What should I be doing differently?

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!! 

3 answers to this question

New Concrete should be test spot pressure washed first off. You could damage the cream if the cure is not complete. Usually about 6 months to a year from time poured.
Otherwise, the damage to the cream from washing is irreversible.

Muratic is very strong and may be part of the reason for the uneven result.
Try phosphoric acid based detergents instead. Deitrich Technologies is a great place to start.
http://www.diedrichtechnologies.com/

Rod & Beth

Hi Sprayman,

Your process is good enough, don't hit the concrete with any pressure think " glorified rinse"

The material though, muriatic is no good.

Muriatic should only ever be used for the purpose of etching for coating prep.

Muriatic is hydrochloric acid.

Use something a bit more detergent, Prosoco Vanatrol or as rod says diedrich  new masonry cleaner or NMD-80.

Thinking on this a bit.

There is another option. This builder is custom homes, correct? Higher end, Yes?

Order a different mix. Generally, the mix is various grades of ugly plain crush.

He can spend a bit more, order a blend mix with mixed aggregates.

Then when you wash at the end you can peel off the crème and wow.

For this the HCL is perfect.

Exposed aggregate. Charge extra.