wolfkinara

Pressure Washing Guys

Question

As a long time lurker of the sub and thanks to sweatystartup I have seen a number of you that have started or have been running a pressure washing company and it got me thinking I could do this as a fun hustle to make extra income and see where it goes. So I had some questions if you don’t mind jumping in. I would probably just focus on driveways to make it easy.

Do you do it full or part time? (How much time do you put in) How long have you been doing it? Do you have any employees? What pressure wash services do you offer? How many jobs do you get a month? How much is your average job in revenue? How much do you advertise or market? What are your thoughts on the business and how have you liked it so far? Do you run any other side hustles along with the pressure washing?

Thanks in advance!

10 answers to this question

wolfkinara, it's not so hard as it seems. I do high pressure washing of my backyard pavers, maybe once per month, maybe less often, cause it depends on certain season of the year, you know. I like to use Color Enhancer sealer ( from this website: https://bestyardproducts.com/best-paver-sealer/ ) and the simplest high-pressure washing machine. I like that after it natural color of pavers and some natural stone elements becomes more enhanced and much brighter.

For us, it was a full time business decision and has been very successful. Started out just washing decks and houses but it evolved into many other items such as driveways, walkways, pool aprons and more. Began with just myself and hired temp labor as needed for the first year and by the second year began hiring more full time employees albeit it seasonal in our region.
Beth bought 3 power washers units and we kept one for the business and sold the other 2 to pay for the first. (That didn't work) We ended up taking those back and they became back ups.
What we did that was the most important was to become members of PWNA (Pressure Washers of North America) and took some courses in various aspects of pressure washing to get up to speed from people who have been doing this for years.

Bought a surface cleaner (still in our arsenal today) and other various implements of destruction and plowed into building a client base that now is paying for itself by just email reminders and post cards on a regular annual or every 2 year basis as their project would require.

Now, we have 1 truck with a 1 gun hot water unit and 2 Sprinter vans (1 equipped with a dual gun hot water pressure washer, the other is a multi purpose vehicle) and various equipment to handle most anything our customers need to have service for.

Pricing is crucial and keeping track of your costs will help you to price accordingly and keep it profitable. One person can start out on a part time basis using the contacts you already have at your disposal and build from there either word of mouth or some advertising. There is a great deal of competition in this business but there are enough homes in this to go around.
Learn not only how to operate the unit but about cleaners specifically and what each is capable of or not suitable for. That is important.

Rod & Beth

For our team, it is a full-time business of pressure washing that has to improve to not only offer that service but also A full-service solutions provider for everything from pressure washing to handyman repairs, snow removal to apartment turnovers.  Don't get rush, growing is part of the process. 

It is important that you are investigating power washes and the equipment that you will need because with that you will handle most of the needs of your customers, think about it is an inversion for your business.

And I have to say that I agree with Beth and Rod, you need to be careful with the pricing in the process because that will better to keep track of your costs will help you to price accordingly and keep it profitable

See R&R Chicago Property Company

Edited by chicago-pressurewashing

I think pressure washing services are the best when it comes to making a house clean properly and efficiently.As far as my case is concerned I usually prefer Stadadehem to provide me home cleaning services.

Städbolag Stockholm

We get the HOA off your back by professionally steam cleaning your driveway to remove all stain, dirt, and debris. We clean hundreds of driveways a year in area. Call today for a free driveway cleaning quote!  We remove rust stains from car batteries and remove all tire marks from vehicle parking.

On 27.12.2019 at 6:31 PM, Beth n Rod said:

For us, it was a full time business decision and has been very successful. Started out just washing decks and houses but it evolved into many other items such as driveways, walkways, pool aprons and more. Began with just myself and hired temp labor as needed for the first year and by the second year began hiring more full time employees albeit it seasonal in our region.
Beth bought 3 power washers units and we kept one for the business and sold the other 2 to pay for the first. (That didn't work) We ended up taking those back and they became back ups.
What we did that was the most important was to become members of PWNA (Pressure Washers of North America) and took some courses in various aspects of pressure washing to get up to speed from people who have been doing this for years.

Bought a surface cleaner (still in our arsenal today) and other various implements of destruction and plowed into building a client base that now is paying for itself by just email reminders and post cards on a regular annual or every 2 year basis as their project would require.

Now, we have 1 truck with a 1 gun hot water unit and 2 Sprinter vans (1 equipped with a dual gun hot water pressure washer, the other is a multi purpose vehicle) and various equipment to handle most anything our customers need to have service for.

Pricing is crucial and keeping track of your costs will help you to price accordingly and keep it profitable. One person can start out on a part time basis using the contacts you already have at your disposal and build from there either word of mouth or some advertising. There is a great deal of competition in this business but there are enough homes in this to go around.
Learn not only how to operate the unit but about cleaners specifically and what each is capable of or not suitable for. That is important.

Rod & Beth

I will try to reach you. It's a service I've been looking for. Thanks.

I can't be one hundred percent sure, but it seems to me that for a high-pressure washer you don't need a large number of workers at all. Don't you think so? When I hired guys from https://sparklewash.com/foxvalley/, then only 2 people arrived and did their job quickly and efficiently enough. That is why it seems to me that the human resource is not so much needed. It's another matter if we talk about technical resources. More investments are needed here, since these sinks cost a lot of money.

Edited by wiliamjacket

2 hours ago, wiliamjacket said:

I can't be one hundred percent sure, but it seems to me that for a high-pressure washer you don't need a large number of workers at all. Don't you think so? When I hired guys from https://sparklewash.com/foxvalley/, then only 2 people arrived and did their job quickly and efficiently enough. That is why it seems to me that the human resource is not so much needed. It's another matter if we talk about technical resources. More investments are needed here, since these sinks cost a lot of money.

Perception is key here. You may only see the one crew responding for service to a location. Meanwhile, there are numerous other crews at other locations depending upon the company and the demand they have. Some are one man shows. Others 1-2 crews. Others can be up to a couple of dozen. It all depends on how much demand there is and the ability of the owner to build a service team to meet that demand.

Rod

If you need your house cleaned in a short time, fast cleaning is a very useful service. Recently the house needed windows cleaned, and we live on the eighth floor. The cleaning service did a very good job. Now I regularly ask for the services of this company.