Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

"At Will" or "Right To Work" States

I have been spending the past several days updating our employee hand book and thought to ask others what their thoughts were regarding "At Will" employment or 'Right to Work" and which is applicable in your state?

In Maryland, "At Will" is the status quo in employment.:bullistic

Rod~

Georgia is an "At Will" State. I like it that way. Better for employers, perhaps better for employees. Either way, less red tape.

While the terms are directly related to Union work and job definitions, the media, schools, and general public ignorance have elevated at least part of the term to much more than that.

To answer that part would require a lengthy and drawn out political response. Suffice to say that in my view of the world nobody has a right to a job.

Cujo

In Arizona we are both an at will and right to work state. That is probably part of the reason for the huge growth of Phoenix in the past 30 years.

According to the interpretation of the rules here, At will means that you can be excused by an employer anytime, anywhere without notice. It also means that you are not required by law to give an employer notice before walking off the job.

Right to work means that you do not have to join a union at any time, even in a union shop.

Scott Stone

In Arizona we are both an at will and right to work state. That is probably part of the reason for the huge growth of Phoenix in the past 30 years.

According to the interpretation of the rules here, At will means that you can be excused by an employer anytime, anywhere without notice. It also means that you are not required by law to give an employer notice before walking off the job.

Right to work means that you do not have to join a union at any time, even in a union shop.

Scott Stone

Same in Texas. Many people construe the term "Right to Work" to mean that you have a guaranteed job. Not so!

I think that ultimately when anything is structured so as to give one party a significant advantage over the other, eventually it becomes a zero sum game.

Things need to benefit both parties to succeed. Kind of like the Nash Equilibrium.

Of course, companies can have wild success in the short term....and it's hard to define what a long or short time is..

One thing I do feel is that, things get awry when systems run by policymakers who don't understand how things really work, like in Education, blame teachers for non-performance under their crazy paradigm that's doomed to fail.

Then the teachers organize to fight them off b/c they need job protection b/c they work for fools but then the fools blame the teachers and stand and point and say "Look there...so teachers are failures how dare they organize".!!

I think it's that way in a lot of industries and companies.

Ultimately, if workers feel to need to organize something is probably wrong with the company or system itself.

Oregon is an "at will" State. terminate anyone for any reason or no reason. the employer has 24 hours to pay the employee. Quit for any reason or no reason. Former employee has to wait until the next regular payday for a check.