Sign in to follow this  
jobalthough

sealer over acid stained concrete

Question

Thought I had this all figured out, did a test patch (under stairs, wont be visible) and I'm not thrilled. Back to the drawing board?

I'm trying to achieve a nice leathery-brown marbled floor (see first picture attached). Love the high gloss wet look, however I'm leery about that high gloss finish wearing away fairly quickly (quicker than a permeable sealer would?), especially with acrylic top coats. Hobby work and project garage with vehicle storage, in the northeast so salt is used (sparingly on our roads it seems...). Right now the garage is completely empty, now is the time - I'd like to do it once and do it right.

I decided on direct colors acid stain - I really like the unique and interesting results an acid stain (should, typically) produce. After doing tons of research I thought I had decided on ghostsheild as a protectant, most likely 8510 but also wanted to try a little bit of their 5505 for fun.
acid staining san antonio
I did my sample, need to perfect my acid stain process a bit but I think I've got that under control now - put 8510 over half and 5505 over the other half of the sample patch. I thought 8510 was going to be the answer. But it doesnt deepen the stain colors at all, it just looks BLAH (which I knew... but just didnt comprehend how it would effect the final product). I really like the way the floor looks with the 5505, that wet deep color glossy look - but its my understanding that 5505 is an acrylic coating and it sounds like it wont hold up well to our uses (??).
I set an empty grill propane 20 pound grill tank on the test surface, dragged it a bit, and there was noticeable scratching/discoloring.

So, what do i do?
8510 with a wax over it to help deepen the color?
5505 and baby the floor hope it'll hold up well? If its not going to hold up I dont want to bother.
Or investigate other options: How about some of these Polyuria or polyspartic? Not sure why I didnt focus on these to begin with?

VOC's and cure time are not important, want to do it right. And while cost is always important, I'd rather pay more now and do it right.

Help!!

Edited by jobalthough
spell missing

2 answers to this question

On 12/8/2022 at 2:17 AM, jobalthough said:

Thought I had this all figured out, did a test patch (under stairs, wont be visible) and I'm not thrilled. Back to the drawing board?

I'm trying to achieve a nice leathery-brown marbled floor (see first picture attached). Love the high gloss wet look, however I'm leery about that high gloss finish wearing away fairly quickly (quicker than a permeable sealer would?), especially with acrylic top coats. Hobby work and project garage with vehicle storage, in the northeast so salt is used (sparingly on our roads it seems...). Right now the garage is completely empty, now is the time - I'd like to do it once and do it right.

I decided on direct colors acid stain - I really like the unique and interesting results an acid stain (should, typically) produce. After doing tons of research I thought I had decided on ghostsheild as a protectant, most likely 8510 but also wanted to try a little bit of their 5505 for fun.

I did my sample, need to perfect my acid stain process a bit but I think I've got that under control now - put 8510 over half and 5505 over the other half of the sample patch. I thought 8510 was going to be the answer. But it doesnt deepen the stain colors at all, it just looks BLAH (which I knew... but just didnt comprehend how it would effect the final product). I really like the way the floor looks with the 5505, that wet deep color glossy look - but its my understanding that 5505 is an acrylic coating and it sounds like it wont hold up well to our uses (??).
I set an empty grill propane 20 pound grill tank on the test surface, dragged it a bit, and there was noticeable scratching/discoloring.

So, what do i do?
8510 with a wax over it to help deepen the color?
5505 and baby the floor hope it'll hold up well? If its not going to hold up I dont want to bother.
Or investigate other options: How about some of these Polyuria or polyspartic? Not sure why I didnt focus on these to begin with?
concrete stain Raleigh
VOC's and cure time are not important, want to do it right. And while cost is always important, I'd rather pay more now and do it right.

Help!!

no resposne to this

8 hours ago, jobalthough said:

no resposne to this

Unfortunately, this is a forum for pressure washing trades which has little exposure into concrete staining. We clean this surface all too well.
I am guessing that no one who visits the forum has anything to help. It is out of the normal.

I would suggest a concrete installation company or masons for patios that specialize in concrete patios and aesthetic effects to the installation.

Rod & Beth