Sign in to follow this  
tidyjet

Voice Communications

Paul, there are several VOIP providers now. In checking VOIP providers, you've checked with Vonage? I'm a Vonage user launching a new business. I'm using both a voice and fax number. The service is maybe a tad quirky compared to BellSouth, but the quality, price and flexibility seem to offset its quirkiness.

I may pay the price when it comes to getting listed in the BellSouth Yellow Pages next year.

-Scott

Scott,

I think VOIP is the "future". Unfortunately my broadband carrier does not offer it and Vonage can't offer me a local area code (yet). I'll patiently wait.

In the meantime I'll consoladate our cell phones on a family plan with over 1600 mins. That'll work for us for now as far as the business is concerned.

paul

Paul,

check into the wireless cards or PDAs Verizon offers. The PDA has a dedicated number, can be had for about $40/month, and can be connected to a computer. you can use your computer to send/receive faxes. Hell, many PDAs can even receive a fax now, save it as an image, and upload it to your computer with ease. Just don't tell them you'll be using it for anything business. Landlines are going the way of the dinosaurs. They're just too limited. And I don't think the yellowpages will turn down advertisement income because you don't have a landline.

Great idea, I'll look into that.

Our position was to keep monthly expenses as low as possible for as long as possible and put our hard earned dollars where they could be working for us the most while we're also working.

Just my .05,

Celeste

Indeed. The point of my original post.

paul

I

Right now I am contemplating the idea of a Hi-Speed wireless card for my laptop. That way I would be able to access the computer at home for billing on job sites, and such. If I get much more busy I will almost have to do it. I have to do all of my own billing and such so that with the card, I can while I have a minute or two down between jobs.

Scott Stone

This too is intriquing, the ability to do work you'd normally do in the office whilst out between jobs. From a time savings standpoint, this might be cost effective.

paul

Good thread. I have a land line (separate from home phone), with distinctive ring - main office number and fax number. My phone does not ring that often, so don't need the dedicated fax line. About half of my invoices get faxed directly from my computer through fax machine to customers. Use dialup; when I move to cable /DSL I will have the decision to make about getting rid of land line. Several good ideas for me to consider in earlier posts. I don't the option of using an answering service was mentioned above, which might be useful for the small, but growing biz.

The whole idea here is to be able to communicate with your customer at the earliest convient possible time. Whether it is in the field, the office, the bus station, police station wherever....:). If you can accomplish that then you are on the right track.

I wish to know if a walkie-talkie can be used instead of a refuge call point, I have an issue with someone planning to use these housed in a box in a stairwell refuge point, i believe a proper call point should be installed but I need some guidance as to what is legally acceptable. 
My friends suggest a communication system is required for a refuge, its to which standard you install it. As far as I read in nrcradio site there is no substandard for the use of walkie talkie but there is for the design, installation, commissioning, and maintenance of emergency voice communication systems, BS 5839-9:2003.