Sign in to follow this  
Jon

Concerning PWNA

With all the things going on and all the rumors and facts happening right now mostly with the PWNA I wonder how all of you both members and non members feel about those changes?

I shall assume you all know the board is now locked down as one example of change.

So speak up and say it like you see it, good bad or ugly.

I applaud the efforts of the all volunteer BOD to try to do what has been asked most recently.

They face a tough job, usually one that has no thanks and only complaints from various individuals. One cannot please all of the people all of the time and it is a job for those of strong charachter.

Undefinable damage has been done in recent past, there may be no way of ever repairing it totally. At the least, cosmetic repairs seem to have been made while the real structural work seems to be going on behind the scenes.

This moment in time appears to be most pivotal for the org., as the membership makes demands, the non members similarly demand, and the leaders are caught somewhere in between. A wrong move now is certain to leave an indelible scar.

I am not in agreement with some of the recent decisions, but as a member I am not ready to pull my plug. I still support the worthy goals of the PWNA. I will still volunteer my time and efforts to promote the org, although it is difficult indeed to keep swimming against the current, especially in light of the most recent activities.

I can only hope that wisdom & logic can prevail and that emotions are kept securely locked out.

Cujo

I agree with Cujo - I will continue to support the organization as long as I feel like they are moving forward (somewhere). At this point, the BoD is damned if they do, damned if they don't. I guess the main source of my disappointment is that they could have seen a good bit of this coming and didn't take the time (that they historically do) to completely evaluate the cause and effect. Delegation is something that seems to be improving and hopefully, new blood and volunteers will bring a different life to the organization as a whole.

Celeste

PS Is it really shut down - it looks the same to me but since I'm a member, I can still see everything that was there last night. I was under the impression that this was up for discussion on the board call tonight ?

I think I understand what the PWNA is trying to do but I believe that this decision did not even make it to an ad hoc committee, which is unfortunate and probably in violation of their by-laws. I am just guessing.

This is a perfect case why the "lame duck" policy should apply. The outgoing board members hands are cleaned of this mess and the incoming members are stepping into a hornets nests.

When Pete announced this I think it would have been more informative if he gave us specifics as to when this was going to happen, what access we would have and etc. Leaving the thread open for us to figure out or assume what may or may not happen next is why the thread took the direction it did.

Someone mentioned that "now finally the bod's are communicating a decision they made and they are still getting attacked ~ they can never win." Yea they communicated this but it does not make their decision right and just because they communicated this does not make everyone inclined to agree with it.

Jon..to answer your question...I think it was a very bad business decision to do this.

The BOD call is the second Tuesday of each month at 9am.

I doubt they will make a decision today, but I am sure things will be discussed and worked on going forward.

Only three people are elected per year. The majority of the BOD remains the same. However, the President can fill a vacancy as needed at any time during the year.

Also in the past I have seen that things decided by a committee still need to pass a BOD vote. This is one reason people think it takes so long. A committee may meet infrequently (compared to the BOD) and then the chair has to take it to the next BOD call.

It's easy to learn if anything has changed on the BBS, ask a non-member if they see fewer forums or excluded from posting where they used to be able to. ;)

Beth

As of 11:45 Central time....PWNA seems to have done whatever it was gonna do....As a Non-member access to the board is very limited....

I feel they have moved into the final stages of self destruction.....

I also have no access. No loss, I get all the information I need from The Grime Scene & other BBS's. Does the PWNA really think this is going to help membership? Just more of a reason why I wont join.

Let's just leave this alone at present.....changes take some time to come around fully. There's a new BoD coming in, and they're may be a better solution on the horizon. We can all continue to enjoy the suggestions, advise and conversation on this and other bbs's without worrying about what's going to happen over there.

Celeste

If anyone has ideas about how to help the PWNA resolve this, please propose them constructively.

All I'm going to say, is even leaders of a non-profit org are human. BBS's are a huge challenge to manage. They have learned that. Let's all help them resolve this. They are trying to better the org, but they are a small group of people who need volunteer assistance. Send them your constructive ideas.

Beth

I have an idea but it is not just for PWNA but all BBS and it the registration requirements can be configured right if this information is not included they would not be allowed to register or post.

Require the Business name, address, phone number and owner (s) names (s).

So many hide behind only stating a city or state that I feel it is time to come out of the closet.

Beth can you configure it so if they do not include that info they cannot read or post?

Extreme yes but perhaps I have come to a point we are helping our next door competitor to much.

Now don't go saying Jon your not in the business anymore so why should you care because I do care.

I care about the PWNA too; I wish it truly was larger, had more exposure and that it was recognized nationwide, universally for that matter.

If anyone has ideas about how to help the PWNA resolve this, please propose them constructively.

All I'm going to say, is even leaders of a non-profit org are human. BBS's are a huge challenge to manage. They have learned that. Let's all help them resolve this. They are trying to better the org, but they are a small group of people who need volunteer assistance. Send them your constructive ideas.

Beth

Ok, dont take this the wrong way, but honestly why should a "non member" care to give them any advice? They locked us out and shut the door. I respect them for who they are, but dont expect me to want to help anyone that shuts a door in my face. (with less then a days notice?) Anyways, like I said, I get what I need from this BBS and others, so its really no loss.

Good luck to the PWNA and the BOD. I am not a PWNA basher, and I do not wish any hard times on the BOD or the Organization, it's just not working out right now, and they made the choice to shut the door.

Some people here are members, and some are non-members who are thinking of joining or want to help in some way. It's an individual choice. I put the suggestion out there to those who would choose to be a part of the solution. It's up to each of us to decide if we want to do so or not, and really no one should be thought of less for not helping or joining or for helping or joining.

Just my .02...and no offense taken Mike ;)

Jon, I have no admin access over there, have not since I resigned as a BOD member, but to answer your question, there are settings in the ACP that will allow you to have to verify a member prior to thier being able to post. This could become a very exhaustive effort for volunteers when the season gets busy and people are suddenly working 60 hour weeks. It has some positive merit to it too, but all I'll say is sometimes it is better not to reinvent the wheel or add a process. No other BBS is doing it. There may be a good reason for it. Admin nightmare...maybe. Have never done it, but given what I do know of bbs administration, it could be a pitfall. Not saying it wiil be, just it could be.

I have many ideas on how to imporve the BBS over there, and I offered in the thread - twice - before it was pulled, to help with the BBS efforts. We'll see if they bring me onto the committee to help the BBS. It sickens me to see that BBS in the condition it is in, I explained it in the thread that got yanked, all I'll say here is I donated an insane amount of time. I would help them in a heartbeat if they asked. I'll be there for them.

Beth :groovy2:

The largest problem I see with the BOD locking down the BBS is losing the potential to recruite new members.The BBS is where I first heard of the PWNA as I'm sure is the case with a lot of people.It's a bad choice and may be the one that causes the down fall of the BBS if not the entire Org.

If the Org. does survive it shouldn't be promoted as the "Voice" of the industry since there are more non PWNA member companies than there are PWNA members companies.At best they should only be promoting it as a small group of like minded contractors that have a limited membership.Honestly there are country clubs with higher membership numbers.

I won't apologise for questioning the Org. or it's motives.I have that right since they have and continue to claim they represent the entire industry.An industry that my company is a part of.

I think if everyone would take a deep breath and let them finish what they've started, it might not be as bad as it appears. Change takes time and they need to regroup.

Patience, Grasshopper :)

Celeste

Okay, we can agree to disagree on this wait and see thing but let me point out - this BoD historically takes time to discuss and plan and implement things....we've complained about that. They had a quasi-planned knee jerk reaction to a bbs that was getting out of control. They acted quickly (since we all griped about slowness), they possibly (did in my opinion) made an error in the extremity of things but nothing that has been done can't be undone, changed, or improved upon.

Celeste

Between this site and Ron's,I know that any problem that arises I will receive good profesional advice.A private section of a forum is great.It gives members a little extra privelege,say job leads-organization talk etc.But to close all regular forums takes away a great gateway that most orgs. would love to have to pick up new members.A well run org.no matter what will receive some type of negativity.That is the nature of people.But an org. leader usually puts out the fire with the right responses and conversation moves on.From what I saw outside looking in was alot of questions being asked with no real answers in return.Shutting out nonmembers was not a good buisness move,at least without putting out all the open fires first..

Celeste....

Your optimism and loyalty is admirable. However; the harm done to the BBS and the Org itself cannot be undone, changed, or improved upon. The vase is broken! It cannot ever be the same nor as good as before. They have put a gun to their heads, cocked the hammer, and pulled the trigger! I do agree that we all should take a deep breath and let them finish what they have started....let them die in peace.

Bob,

Please don't confuse wanting to get my money's worth out of something with loyalty. As a female, I have that whole fixit gene and I can see ways upon ways to make this whole thing a positive action....however, resistance is prevailing at the moment. Here's my honest position in a nutshell......I came, I saw, I joined - I want to help, I will try to help and at the end of our year, we will make our decision. It's business that's all. I'm taking the position of trying to be part of a solution. If it works, lots of good can come....if not, it'll be one heck of a wake.

Celeste