Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

What's you vehicle of choice...and why?

What is your vehicle choice and in your reply, please tell us why?  

295 members have voted

1. 1. What is your vehicle choice and in your reply, please tell us why?

• Ford Series Pickup or Van
    • GMC Series Pickup or Van
    • Chevy Series Pickup or Van
    • Toyota Series Pickups
    • Izusu Box Vans
    • Reading Body Trucks
    • Stahl Body Utility
    • Diesel?
    • Gas?
    • Other: not listed here, I will describe in thread below.
    • Freightliner Sprinter Van
    • Dodge

Everyone has a truck, van, box truck, of some kind and they bought it for various reasons...but I think it would be interesting to know after the fact, what do you think would best fill your business needs?

For example, we started out with a Ford Ranger XLT because I needed a way to rig up the unit to avoid lifting the machine in and out of the vehicle which was killing my back. After a few years, we were finding that if we could keep the machine from being exposed to the cold, we could work more during the winter. So for this reason, we bought a Sprinter Van by Freightliner. It keeps everything out of the elements. Trailers are out of the question due to HOA rules.

The Ford is gas, The Sprinter is diesel. Funny thing is, the cargo capacity of the Sprinter is far greater than the Ford yet it beats the pants off it in gas mileage.

next!

Rod~

Ford and Chevy all the way.

Since our company does other things i.e. concrete and landscaping design...we have a several vehicles that belong to our fleet. 3 pickups and a van. Just bought a GMC Sierra 2500 .. so that makes 4 actually.

Ford and chevy trucks. I have owned 3 fords and 2 chevies. Cant seem to make up my mind. 5 monthsago I sold my Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 extendened cab and bought another ford. So I guess I ride in the middle. All mine have have been gas but next truck is going to diesel for sure.

Richard

Chevy Silverado 1-ton 7.4L Dually Reg Cab PU. Bed covered w/Contractors cap.

Easy to maneuver in tight places. Compact yet capable.

Quick and easy access to equipment.

Carries everything I need including 225 gal of water.

I like the idea of an enclosed trailer but want has little to fuss with as possible.

This should save me time due to easy maneuverability and ease of access to equipment. eg. operation of PW and unreeling/reeling of hoses via right side door.

I haven't started my first job yet but my goal is to have a set-up whose efficiency allows me to accomplish more jobs in a given day.

time is money

- 04 Chevy 2wd. I carry two cold water washers along with two cox hose reels mounted on ladder rack for quick set-up and departure,this truck is my house washing rig. It carries all products I may need for cleaning at someones house, very easy to get in and out of driveways.

- 05 Dodge turbo cummins diesel 4x4 to pull my 7x14 trailer with hot water unit for my fleet washing and store front entrances.

2003 E-350 Extended Passenger Van.

I like the room inside, easy to store materials, wands, vacuum hose, chems, lock everything down and it's safely stored inside a lockable van. Also the van is a mobile billboard. I also have a full seat right behind me which is basically a portable office, or I can carry up to 3 more people if needed for a total of 5. I don't prefer the gas 5.4L but the since the diesels run almost 6 grand more it was out of my budget at the time. The gas engine still has no problem pulling my trailer!

Ford and chevy trucks. I have owned 3 fords and 2 chevies. Cant seem to make up my mind. 5 monthsago I sold my Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 extendened cab and bought another ford. So I guess I ride in the middle. All mine have have been gas but next truck is going to diesel for sure.

Richard

Come on Richard, dont you need to ad one more to that, or do I need to post a little story on the board.

Roger

I am a Ford guy. I have two Ford f-250's and a Toyota Pickup. I also have an Excursion to haul people around in. Everything has a specific job. The truck that I drive and that does the majorityof the trailer pulling is a diesel 4x4. The other ford is a 5.4 gasser. The Toyota also is gas. They had a diesel available that year, but I did not buy this truck new, so I bought it when I found a good deal.

I prefer the diesel. The next pickup that I get is going to be a diesel, if at all possible. The only situation that I can imagine buying gas is if I need multiple small pickups for some reason. I will probably not by any more new trucks, unless it is for me. I can get good used and well maintained work trucks too cheap to justify it.

Scott

I'll take the Ford,Chevy or Dodge. I would even take the Frieght liner if I could justify it. For Now My wife drives a Chevy Tahoo, I drive a GMC Yukon and for business I have the Ford Van Gasser and the Diesel Ford F-350 bucket truck(I love this truck). WHo knows what type Vehicle I'll purchase in the future but there are so many great trucks out there the choices are unbelievable.

I do know that my Buick eats Fords for lunch. :)

Roger,LOL

OK OK There was one time when I was in a, lets say slippery situation in my ford and There just happened to be two dodges at the scene one of which was Rogers.So yes Dodge now has my mandatory respect LOL. We'll leave it that.:)

Hi Alan,

I traded it in for the E-350. I would have kept it if we actually used it for "Family" traveling but since I used it for business it's just not the right vehicle. We still have the Volvo S70 which gets awesome gas mileage (24 to 35mpg) and the MBZ. I'm selling the Benz too so I can get another rig. I guess you could say I'm downsizing my personal life and upsizing my business!

97 Dodge 3500 dually with a 12' box. 360 gas engine which gets around 13 mpg. I like to take very good care of my trucks so it still looks like new. Over the years I've had chevys and fords too.....they are all good trucks as long as you maintain them...although the fords seemed a little more thirsty when it came to gas...I wish they still made that 300 straight 6.

Amdy

I have :

1994 one ton Chevy step van, 6 - 8 mpg, noisy, windy, handles like a herd of turtles, lots of room

1999 E250, fast, 12-13 mpg, cannot get in and out w/o crawing on my knees, won't haul enough parts for a fire system install

1997 Ranger w/canopy 15 MPG, barely hauls enough to service extinguishers, emergency lights and fire systems.

2003 Sprinter,SHVC 140 2500 20MPG hauls enough to install 3 fire sytems, extinguihsers, sprinkler work, tools, and I can stand up and work at the bench. I close the door, turn on the diesel fired heater and can stay warm.

2005 SHC 153 WB 2500 should be here in August. 150 Amp alt, assyst, cruise, AM-FM CD( poor quality)seat upgrade,Aux battery, bulkhead,Rear step bumpert windows side door and rear doors, Auxilliery heat front and rear, I will insulate, wire for lights, 12V power in back, shelving Purchase $127.00 over invoice. From Hillsboro Dodge

Douglas Hicks

General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc

I have an '04 Ford E 150 van. I added a bench seat and installed the bulkhead behind the bench. Line-X in the back allows me to rinse it out as needed. I added a 14' tube on top to carry my 40' Coress. Shelves in the back give me a place to put all my "stuff".

I pull a self-contained trailer (200 gal, hot) that I can unhitch and store in my garage. A small, ceramic heater keeps the chems in the van from freezing.

Prior to the van, I had a '96 Dakota SLT, which carried everything, but it never looked neat. The van always looks neat. (And its secure.)

Dodge 1500 4X4...........why? friendly with the General Manager of the dealership.....

thats why its been, Intrepid, Dakota, Jeep GC, 1500 4X4 in the past to present.

still not cheap, but having someone to take in a lemon on trade, not screw you outta cash and provide service at the drop of a dime is great indeed...... our next truck (money permitting) will be a full sized Toyota.....