Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

What's you vehicle of choice...and why?

What is your vehicle choice and in your reply, please tell us why?  

295 members have voted

1. 1. What is your vehicle choice and in your reply, please tell us why?

• Ford Series Pickup or Van
    • GMC Series Pickup or Van
    • Chevy Series Pickup or Van
    • Toyota Series Pickups
    • Izusu Box Vans
    • Reading Body Trucks
    • Stahl Body Utility
    • Diesel?
    • Gas?
    • Other: not listed here, I will describe in thread below.
    • Freightliner Sprinter Van
    • Dodge

Man I like that... it comes with a dump bed!

We added a 2004 GMC Savana 3500 box truck beginning of last year. We'll see how the GM performs. It already soaked me for $600 due to a faulty O2 sensor that nobody could figure out was bad. Has a shimmy in the front end now too... should have stayed in the Fords it appears.

I'm guessing you like the titans horrible gas mileage too?

I have a '05 silverado 1500 small v8 work truck (long bed) to pull my trailer/tank

If you were talking to me (cause I have the Titan) I don't think the Titan gets bad gas mileage at all for what it is. 12-14 pulling a trailer and 16-18 without the trailer. 6" lift with 35" tires. If it was stock, I'm sure it would be better gas mileage. It's as good as any other v8 that I've seen with tons more power.

Careful with the "any other V8 Ive seen" thing. I had one with more HP, more torque, it weighed twice as much, could carry 3 times as many people and pull a lot more weight and got simillar mpgs to yours.

If you were talking to me (cause I have the Titan) I don't think the Titan gets bad gas mileage at all for what it is. 12-14 pulling a trailer and 16-18 without the trailer. 6" lift with 35" tires. If it was stock, I'm sure it would be better gas mileage. It's as good as any other v8 that I've seen with tons more power.

If it gets 12/17 city/highway I certainly would not want to be in any stop and go with a trailer/water.. The titan's a great looking truck and I really wanted one until I found out how bad the mpg was and how much more it was then the chevy/gmc pick-ups..

If it gets 12/17 city/highway I certainly would not want to be in any stop and go with a trailer/water.. The titan's a great looking truck and I really wanted one until I found out how bad the mpg was and how much more it was then the chevy/gmc pick-ups..

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear in my post about the gas mileage... it gets between 12-14 pulling a trailer period, or 16-18 without pulling a trailer period. I don't really differentiate between city and highway, because I measure the whole tank at a time. There is always both city and highway driving in the 300+ miles of driving.

Why wouldn't you want to be in any stop and go? I don't understand :confused: How could your smaller v8 be any better in stop and go traffic? It has been my experience that the smaller engines are too underpowered to get the mileage that they claim to get when pulling a load. My dad's Tacoma gets about 20 or so without any weight behind it, but if he hooks up anything it goes down around 10-12.

As far as price goes, I have heard different stories from guys around the country on this. Some like you say that the Nissan is higher than the Ford and Chebby, but I found the opposite to be true. I got the Titan for $8K less than the Ford stealership would give me the F-150 for. They were similar models with basically the same options (even though the Titan had tons more ;)) I couldn't figure it out, I was even trading in another F-150 that I had just bought from them a couple years prior.

Oh well, to each his own, if you like your Chebby that's all that matters. I sure love my Titan and now that it has 41K trouble free miles, I'm loving it even more.

2006 f350 dually diesel with a 30 ft gooseneck, 2 diesel alkota washer, 800gal water, 400gal reclaim,sirroco13cvj vaccum gas, water tech mig 48 filter unit,nite lighting w/ 10,000watt generator 3 electric hose reels

My 2 cents. Ford Trucks are my choice if I could pick only one. I recently let go of my 2001 Ford 7.3L Turbo Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and am sorry to have let it go but I got rid of a payment, sold it on ebay and made enough back to by all the rigs listed below and the best part is, I OWN THESE, not the bank! But, now, since I have a 1995 E-350 Diesel 7.3L Van, a 2001 Ford F-150 with a 5.4 Triton and a 1994 Chevy C30 I have job specific vehicles, not a just a do-all vehicle with compromises. And because I also have 3 trailers, 2 open, one 16ft. and 1 20ft. and 1 - 18 foot V-Nose Enclosed, I have a vehicle that it set up for flatwork, roofs, houses, storefronts, large commercial jobs,etc. My final thought, get vehicles for the type of work you do, not to keep up with the Jones's. If you buy right and look for the deal, sometimes several is better than one do-it all, especially if you have one nice vehicle and it BREAKS down. Then you are 100% stranded and immobile. At least with multiple vehicles, even if they are used but still in good shape, you can always get to your jobs...before your competitor gets wind of your breakdown and beats you to it.

Thats all I have. I hope it helps.

I have a Ford E-350 diesel box truck for the majority of our work (KEC).

I have a F250 4x2 ( gas) that has a Reading cap on the back that can do 99% of the work the box truck can do and can be parked ina city space with no CMV restrictions so it is very usefull in tight urban areas. We also have a enclosed 8x4 haulmark trailer with a electric machine in the back that works well and can be hooked up to the p/u to allow 2 jobs to be done at the same time if they are close together.

Have a '92 Chev P/U bought a 2000 F150 to replace it eventually but when the ford needed an entire front end and gas tank brackets I traded for a new Chev P/U. Entire under carriage was rusted on the Ford in 8 years.

I drive a Ford van now, would prefer a Ford pick-up. I am a buy American kind of guy, whenever possible. Would'nt be oppose to a Chevy or a Dodge.

I prefer to by "Made in America" also, that's why I drive a Nissan Titan. Dodge is made in Canada, Chebby and Ferd in Mexico...

Just double checked my Vin number and my Ford Van was manufactured in the USA. I will double check on all future purchases to make sure it's made IN the USA. THE JOB I SAVE MAY BE MY OWN.

I just bought a GMC w3500 (isuzu NPR) flatbed. I haven't had it long enough to get a read on mileage, but the landscapers all love them. I usually buy Ford diesels, but for the cost, these things are a value. Mine is a 2001 in great shape. I could have bough three of them for what I would have had to pay to go with an f350 flatbed diesel.

2000,F-250 diesel,6spd. I just got 20.5 mpg on a trip to Fla ( empty no trailer). worst tow mileage was 12mpg pulling my show truck/trailer rig ( 8500lbs ), best was 12.8mpg Pulling my 3horse enclosed G/N trailer (10k lbs). The med duty Fords are built in Mexico ( f550 and larger) the rest are still built here. Though my 7.3L has been flawless, I've always been a Cummins fan ( had one in my F-800 ) I just didn't care ( at the time ) for the Dodge interiors. My truck currently has 160k miles on it, repairs have been a clutch,water pump,alt and slave cyl. I'm still on the original brake pads

I like my 02 chevy silverado 8.2 liter 496 big block 45 gal. gas tank with allison transmisson 6x12 enclosed trailer.Lots of mtns and hills here.works the best for my area.Diesel would be okay but no diff. in power.

marko

how does that big block do on fuel? Ive always thought of putting one in my truck if the 5.7 drops (big IF)
It doesn't do bad considering the load i pull probably around 12-15 mpg.And with my camper about 8-12 mpg,which isnt bad as well.The power is there and it doesn't strain to get to where you got to go.Had a T100 before this truck v-6 and pulling wise the big block has better fuel milage and pulling power, of course.Now empty against empty loads the T100 did better. From what i heard chevy stopped making the 496,bad decision on there part.The motor is very strong and durable and the combination of the Allison trans. makes it a heck of a work horse. Top of the line for gas jobs.

Marko

Edited by cleanhoods
spelling

I like the pre 1998 F series trucks, gas.

They turn on a dime, parts are cheaper than dirt and most parts can be picked up at autozone even on Sunday.

Gas mileage is only 2mpg less than the diesels loaded up and pulling the trailers.

And you can find them all over the place owned by old guys who babied them for less than $5k in most cases. All you need to do is slap on a flatbed and you're in business. Reliability and NO payments and insurance is cheap.

I think they brought the turning circle radius back down in 2007 or so for the newer ones. Can anybody confirm that?