• High School Diploma
    • AA
    • AS
    • BA
    • BS
    • Masters
    • Even Higher

Question

I thought it would be interesting to see what levels of education owners, or non owners, in this industry have. If you so desire, please elaborate in the thread.

28 answers to this question

Good topic ~ h.s. diploma and some college. I guess the best education that I received was OJT and in the military. Some things you just can't learn from sitting in the classroom.

I have an associates in Electronics and I am 8 classes away from a Bachelor's in marketing.

When I was growing up my dad had a construction company and he told me that I could work for him AS LONG AS I was going to school. I think that was a pretty wise thing on his part. As it turns out I have knoweldge in Electronics which has gotten me a job that is paying for my BS degree. Pressure washing is sort of like the construction stuff- I can always fall back on it with the knoweledge I have. If I ever lost my day job, it wouldn't take me long to scale up the pressure washing bus. to the point that I would be making at least if not more than I am at work.

Plus- the marketing degree helps alot on getting jobs. You learn a lot about the differentiating factors and it's help me to determine what exactly I do that sets me apart from the competition- and knowing how to present that to the customer so it makes a difference!

Seth

That is interesting that some people would be testy to hear that some of our collegues in the industry have college degrees. The knowledge to know how to market your company is very important with this industry. People go to college and earn a degree to obtain the knowledge for this. Others learn and apply it by experience.

Associates in Biology and Forestry. What I learned in college hmmmm how to Drink lots and lots of keystone premium. The most most valuble school I went to and am still attending is the school of hard knocks (altough the knocks arent as hard as they used to be)

Richard

High school, some college and trade school for A/C as well as just having to do alot of different things for the last couple of employers.

Can't knock anyone that works at bettering themselves, whether through higher education or working hard to become an expert in thier field of endevor.

BS Biz,

I'd like to say that I don't think a degree is as valuable for us as it was for, say, our parents. As far as getting a job goes, I don't even think it helps that much unless you have a specialized degree (engineering, accounting), and if you consider success to be working hard in middle management and topping out around 75K, then get a four year deg. in Business.

The value to me was that college teaches you HOW to learn, and more importantly, it gives you a great network. Personally, if i had kids, I'd send them to the military first for two yrs. before letting them go to college. They'd get the partying out of the way, be more serious students, learn discipline and respect, and get some great life lessons. I went to a pretty good private school, and the people i went to school with would not give you an accurate picture of the real world. Most were rich, spoiled, went to work for dad and thought all of that was what the real world was like.

I'm a couple of semesters away from my BS in Mechanical Engineering. I hate school and learning but have found with the degree you will make more $$$ working for a company. I really believe that its not all paper work its how you can get the job done, and if they had hands on in college they would have alot more students.

Working towards undergrad in Business Management along with Business development/entrepreneurship which is a new offering at my school (University North Carolina Wilmington) Cameron School of Business

School of hard knocks and still learning....sometimes the hard way......still

I will try my hardest to have my children go through college. I missed a lot being out of school, screwing up a lot, I look at me now and can just imagine how much better my biz could be going with more knowledge in certain areas.I think higher education is a must in this day and time. What is a shame is I see many college students that cant spell, add or even speak properly..I know one that cant say the A B C 's..its scary

My boy at 3 1/2 Knows his ABC's and knows most of the letters well, can spell & print his 1st and last name, can count very well and we are teaching him addition and throwing in a little subtraction...he's get mad at subtraction.. he keeps saying he doesnt want to "take away"(subtract)

I hope to make him the smartest "LeCours" ever

Started college at 17 quit at 18. Got a job moved out of the house and didn't regret not getting my degree until my mid 30's. Learned alot through Hard Knock U and I agree with others that a classroom isn't the only place to get an education. Still I have tried to encourage my kids to go to college because having the sheepskin can only help you later in life.

Graduated with a BS in Geology, with a minor in skiing, from the Univer. of Denver, alma mater of Condi Rice! Did some post graduate work in finance and mathematics but never got an MS. Tried to get into Harvard Business School but they had no interest!

Worked for the U.S. Geological Service for about 4 months and quit. Could not stomach the bureaucratic nonsense and waste. Worked a family business for awhile, sold it and am now on my 3rd and last startup.

A good college education, not necessarily degree, is invaluable. It teaches you how to think.