Sign in to follow this  
Snow Lover

Back to plowing

Hi guys,I am getting back into plowing next year doing residential only.

Buying a new chevy 4x4 short box with western 7.5'plow next month but going to work on getting the p/w business started first so no plowing this year.

It's kind of hard to answer your question,it depends on what your setup to do.

I am going to do just driveways,around here the average home driveway goes for $20-$25.

A lot of guys will have 30+ drives and they plow when the snow gets 2"that's a trigger point.

Some the trigger is lower and some higher.

Where I live you figure there is 15 snow events but there again it could be more or less.

Some guys bid it by the year and you get the money before the season starts.

Commercial plowing is a whole different ball game,you can make BIG BUCKS but it cost you big bucks to get started.

Tim

Tims right with the $20-$25 per drive but we do mostly commercial. In a normal we have around 18-22 events which are at least 2". ( 3" this last sunday night ) but so far we have only been out 4 times. We try to work it out so each truck pulls around $20,000 per season and the skid around $18k to $20k but not this year. The pay can be good but the stress level on those days are crazy. Salting and sanding is really where the moneys at.

Tim, you going with the duramax? 1500, 2500 or 3500 glad to hear your getting back to play'n in the snow. Good luck

Hey Don,I am going with a chevy 2500HD gas with a 8.5'western V.Think I mite have picked up some commercial accounts too.I could sub out for the co.that plows the apartment where we live.

Starts out at $35hr if you got a V it's 50hr.

Paul those are some awesome pictures if you have any more please post them.I like the first one best with the sunrise or set.

Tim

I like the pic showing the snow blowing over the telephone poles. They contract with the province to maintain somewhere around 50km of primary and secondary roads. They also contract with logging companies to clear forest roads.

I operated one of their loaders with a V-plow attached through 3 ft of snow, that was fun. The blowers are huge remotely powered units (big Cat diesels). It's preferred to blow with a loader because it gives more versatility through various depths such as drifts. All the various blowers and blades are quick-connect, even on the trucks. They're close to the St Lawerence river, consequently lots of wind, lots of drifts and blowing snow back onto the roadways.

paul

post-831-137772140654_thumb.jpg

post-831-137772140664_thumb.jpg

post-831-137772140681_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a nice truck Tim. Just a little food for thought, the going rate around here for subs is $55 per hour. I'm not sure what it is around you but I would think $35 is a bit low. Take a look at www.plowsite.com and ask a few ?s. Good luck

Thanks for the plowsite info,I checked around and thats the going rate $35-40.

Since we will have a it jumps to $50 but that was this year aybe it will go up next year.

Nice pics again Paul,thanks. Tim