Sign in to follow this  
John Orr

New PW Org Poll

Would you support a new PW Org, assuming the basic Org outline below?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a new PW Org, assuming the basic Org outline below?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'd rather wait to see what happens with PWNA

I posted the following in another thread, but thought it deserved its own, as well as a poll to guage reaction. The following list is certainly not complete, but I feel strongly that the timing is right.

Do you agree?

Beth and Rod,

May I suggest that now is the time for the the creation of a new pw org? With your creation of the e-zine and the apparent self-destruction of the other org, it would appear that the stars have aligned.

A few suggestions for the new org:

1) $99/year dues for contractors with up to 2 or 3 employees

2) Require verification of insurance/licensing to maintain membership (I am a ServiceMagic contractor and they do this - it keeps out the "riff-raff")

3) Include subscription to e-zine in membership

4) New Org to sponsor regional events

5) Create a logo that will look really good on our business cards/signs/stationary/websites

6) Have TGS host an org forum - rather than create a new bbs. Open to all, but require all who participate to identify names/locations

I do not know if you guys are up to the challenge, but I truly believe that the above suggestions would attract many of us that would not join the other org. They address several of the specific objections to the other org and offer several additional benefits.

PWNA is not going anywhere and expect to see there membership numbers to go up in the near future. I will of course follow these threads and to see what is new down the horizon.

I wanted to let you all know that I am following this thread. I am flattered that you feel this way, and I appreciate very much the support you have given me and the confidence in me that you have shown. I am curious as to why you look to me for this.

Beth

Well Beth Your willingness to help so many people is one thing. Your knowledge is another. And you allready where talking about doing an e- magazine. Maybe this is a door that just got opened for you? Some things happen for a reason.

PWNA is not going anywhere and expect to see there membership numbers to go up in the near future. I will of course follow these threads and to see what is new down the horizon.

Wholesale memberships will always get the numbers up, but we need more than that.

I'm not big on orgs. That being said my eyes have been opened a great deal with the amount of knowledge i'm obtained here.... And i love getting envolved at the development stage of most projects ...Best of luck ....And thx again

I voted yes I would support I would support a new org. Not because I think we need someone to speak for us, I don't. I voted yes because I feel there is room for more than one org, just as there is room for more than one BBS. Also, I can't think of a better couple to set it up and get it off the ground. Go Beth and Rod.

Thank you Howard.....I've not posted yet because I don't want to get into a political battle again, but you've echoed my feelings. There is room for another organization - there's room for several. Different organizations will serve different people/companies differently. IF another organization were to spring up, I personally would not like to see a "competitive" organization, only one that is different...that would reach the group that doesn't see a benefit to the PWNA. My position is simply - I'd be members of both if it would serve my company. I would not be choosing one or the other. I would hope that they would both have their place.

Celeste

I voted no because of the outline. I would not want to see an org. spring up that is affiliated or even a hint that its affiliated with anyones business. We at the PWNA get enough flack because some people feel that were connected to Delco. The last bunch of years the PWNA has not been affiliated with Delco but still its tough to shake that image and image is so important among other things.

If an Org. does spring up maybe its a good thing because it will keep everyone on there toes from all sides. My thinking is since I am affiliated with the PWNA I would try as hard as I can to keep the PWNA a step above the rest. Its my competitive nature and it benefits me and our members if we can step it up a notch. I know Celeste will disagree with me but competition is a good thing because no competition can make things stagnant and that can be a problem. Don't misconstrue that I'm saying the PWNA is stagnant because where not but we can be if there's never any competition.

I think bulletin boards have a similiar mindset about other bb's even though no one will most likely admit that. Every bb I go on all there main members swear by them and say that there's are the best. So with that mindset The owners of the bb's(The good ones that is) step it up to keep there's above the rest. Competition is a good thing...........

These are my thoughts only and not of the other PWNA members.......

I would not want to see an org. spring up that is affiliated or even a hint that its affiliated with anyones business.

All of us are in business. Perhaps whay you are driving at is the differentiation between manufacturers/distributors/contractors.

Beth

Yes I agree but if a non profit org was to spring up it should not be affiliated with anyone that is selling products unless of course its a Vendors/Distributers ORG.

Just look at the history with the PWNA and Robert Hindeliter. I believe he started this org. for the Contractors but some people thought he was doing it for the sole benefit of his company which is Delco. I don't think that was Roberts intent at all as some others do. Needless to say those differents of opinions on why PWNA was started still haunt the PWNA today.

So that is why I would have a real problem supporting an ORG. that is behind closed doors affiliated with any Vendor or distributer because I am a contractor first and I need things to be as fair as possible for myself and other contractors.

Sometimes I think an Org. for Contractors should not even allow Vendors except if they want to help sponsor the ORG. but that would not work because where all connected in this field. It just needs to be done right the first time and that is why I feel the way I do. I wouldn't want to be at the starting gate with a new org. that is already having problems because others think that the new org. is really in place to benefit the Vendors pocket first.

I think that deciding whether vendors/distributors, etc.. should be allowed to do or not to do would be putting the cart before the horse here.......what needs to be decided first, IMO, is WHAT the goals of the organization would be. This is where the input of the members would be vital to the success or downfall of the org.

John, I don't actually totally disagree with the competitive thing....I do acknowledge that it could benefit each org to try to continually raise the bar and frankly, maybe that is what the industry needs as a whole. Pressure washing is just not viewed as a "real profession"...not be most of the folks that hire us, not the by the insurance companies or (ACK!) any regulatory agencies.

But again, let me reiterate my bottom line position on organizations......it/they is/are tool for a business to use to their best ability. To the established veterans who have become and remained successful, they are less of an appeal, but to new companies, I think they can be very important. It's only going to be what you make of it. I firmly believe that there should be minimum standards to join one though. The organization is putting their reputation on the line when they allow the logo to be used and if just any Joe Power washer can join, well, you can imagine what could be the outcome there.

Celeste

Just look at the history with the PWNA and Robert Hindeliter. I believe he started this org. for the Contractors but some people thought he was doing it for the sole benefit of his company which is Delco. I don't think that was Roberts intent at all as some others do. Needless to say those differents of opinions on why PWNA was started still haunt the PWNA today.

So that is why I would have a real problem supporting an ORG. that is behind closed doors affiliated with any Vendor or distributer because I am a contractor first and I need things to be as fair as possible for myself and other contractors.

So.....In this particular post you say you're against such things and mention the PWNA and it's ghosts, yet in other threads you constantly ramble about your support for the PWNA.

Is this just more PWNA rhetoric and double-speak? Care to clarify?

Another Org? that could be interesting but as many times as I've heard Beth and Rod say how great the PWNA is and how much it's done for them and the industry there would have to be a special niche and lots of support for it to work, not to mention lots of money and hard work.

It would also take quite a while for it to gain support and be able to offer anything close to what the PWNA has for it's members.

I don't think it would matter much if someone's a distributor, manufacturer or a contractor. After all if you didn't work in anything related to the industry why would you care enough to create another org?

I'm open minded though and if another org came by that had something to offer it's members and the industry, I'd join it. There's nothing wrong with being in as many orgs as you want it's the way of running a business.

So.....In this particular post you say you're against such things and mention the PWNA and it's ghosts, yet in other threads you constantly ramble about your support for the PWNA.

Is this just more PWNA rhetoric and double-speak? Care to clarify?

Boy Don, your sure quick to jump on a guy for sharing his opinion... As a forum leader aren't you supposed to ask people not to do that?

Beth has been one of the biggest promoters of THE PWNA FOR YEARS and always stood up for it up until what, a week ago? Then she made a negative comment. I haven't seen anyone bash her for her comments or opinions and if she's entitled to her opinion so is John and anyone else that wants to post.

Which clearly includes you, Henry. All Don asked was for him to clarify his reasons for supporting an organization that has purportedly done what he is against. Not unreasonable.

With regard to a new org having a hard time finding support for themselves as well as offering as much as PWNA does.......As a PWNA supporter, and soon to be BoD, can you honestly say that the PWNA offers that much to the members? Keep in mind that I am an active member of the PWNA as well, not ashamed to admit it...but I'm not terribly impressed with the "benefits" that you are referring to. Granted, they keep saying that "great and exciting things are coming", but hadn't seen them yet :)

Celeste

Henry,

We have been solid promoters for years and yes we have done things not just for the org but for the industry according to the standards of others who appreciate what we have done.

When I was on the BOD I promoted heavily where volunteerism was concerned, since I believe that volunteers can make a difference.

I have had a vision for years of what I thought would help. I still have that vision. I still believe in that vision. Many others also have vision, and their vision should be respected. Their vision is vital. No member or volunteer should be ignored, or made to feel unimportant or stupid. No person should be talked down to, or threatened by the org leaders. I have heard many people echo the sentiments of being scorned.

Don is a forum leader as are others here, but on this BBS we do allow for people to share their opinions. This can be done in step with moderation, when it is correctly done. This is a pro-industry BBS.

Beth