Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

What should an Org do for you?

What benefits would you seek to derive from joining a contractor's organization?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What benefits would you seek to derive from joining a contractor's organization?

• Knowledgeable contacts with whom you can share info
    • Group insurance rates
    • Answers to tax questions
    • Legal Advice
    • Networking opportunity via conventions
    • Participating vendors that offer discounts

I'd have to agree with what everyone else said.. I would also want an org to promote my company or the industry.

I'm not sure about the tax advice thing though, the IRS can't even give you the same answer twice!! LOL I would be hesitant to take an orgs advice on my tax returns..

How does belonginig to any Org. give one legitimacy?

Legitimacy by documentation. THe more you have the better it is for your company.

My answer is the same as James Foley and for the $195/yr it cost me to be a PWNA member I'll be making more than that an hour when I clean my next bldg. As Jackie Gleason use to say.."Just a mere bag of shells"..

I don't think being a member of an org actually makes someone legit, because they could be breaking a number of laws even with the license and insurance. I think it's more of the perception of the client that he was referring to, at least that's what I thought.

]I don't think being a member of an org actually makes someone legit, because they could be breaking a number of laws even with the license and insurance.[/color] I think it's more of the perception of the client that he was referring to, at least that's what I thought.

I am confused.... Then why does the PWNA go through the motions of requiring License and Insurance for membership requirements.... this seems to be a huge mixed message

I don't think being a member of an org actually makes someone legit, because they could be breaking a number of laws even with the license and insurance. I think it's more of the perception of the client that he was referring to, at least that's what I thought.

My point exactly Henry!!Orgs. are a marketing tool,we have all agreed on that more than once.They are places to network with other businesses and business people and possibly make some friends.They don't have anything to do with making your company being legit.

P.S.Before I get attacked on my professionalism;please note I have in no way shape or form made reference to any Org. imparticular.

Mathew said "I am confused.... Then why does the PWNA go through the motions of requiring License and Insurance for membership requirements.... this seems to be a huge mixed message"

Personally I believe the PWNA does this to have some type of requirement for membership. It shows that members have taken the right steps in business. (being legal) I also believe it's done to promote the professionalism of it's members and the industry. The biggest reason I think is, The PWNA is the leader of the industry, it's members should have these requirements at least if the org is to set an example on power washing standards and training.

For the PWNA or any other org to say a company is legitament or more legitamit than another would open it to liability. It would also be implying that non members aren't legitament which is not the case, they have just chosen not to take advantage of the org's benefits and marketing.

This is just my personal opinion of course.

I don't agree with what Henry is saying here. I do believe that an Org. that requires proof of your Lic/ins. is another form of legitimacy. Legit means what makes one true, lawful. A license and definitely insurance is a way of showing people that you are legit.

As Scott says he is not referring to the PWNA org. but Org's in general. I can only answer what the PWNA org. does to explain myself because that is the org. that I belong to. The PWNA org's requirement of its members is to show that they are legit so with this being the rules then its easy to see how being a PWNA member is an avenue to see if someone is legit.

Henry and I are both PWNA BOD's and we all have opinions and also difference of opinions as we are having here. No problem with that because we all learn from eachother.

So in a nutshell I believe being a member of this valuable org. is one of the ways of showing legitimacy for my company and this is what I market it as.

My point exactly Henry!!Orgs. are a marketing tool,we have all agreed on that more than once.They are places to network with other businesses and business people and possibly make some friends.They don't have anything to do with making your company being legit.

P.S.Before I get attacked on my professionalism;please note I have in no way shape or form made reference to any Org. imparticular.

LOL Scott. So noted

For everyones consideration.

organization 1. an organizing or being organized 2. the manner of being organized; organic structure 3. [rare] same as organism 4. any unified, consolidated group of elements; systematized whole; esp., a) a body of persons organized for some specific purpose, as a club, union, or society

b) the administrative personnel or executive structure of a business c) all the functionaries, committees, etc. of a political party

By definition we can all derive an understanding without the arbitrary issues and perhaps level the playing field for all to see, it is just an opportunity.

Kennedy once said it in an inaugural speech "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country!" I think the whole mentality of an org has been skewed to the angle of individual benefit which is in contrast to what it is supposed to be.

Many sit back and ask whats in it for me instead of saying what can I do to help! Continuing with this type of thinking, it is expectable that an org would not survive on its own.

BTW...The requirement of licensure and insurance is a benefit to the org and bolsters the attitude of higher standards for membership in my opinion.

I believe wholeheartedly that if we want any significant benefits to come from an org, it would be through the efforts of its membership who hold fundraising campaigns and drives to create the money necessary to acheive this. The power of the membership acting together to accomplish this in many regions of the states is very capable, especially during the slower winter months.

Most orgs are comprised of individuals who have a cause and they spend a great deal of time and effort doing just what I have mentioned, holding fundraisers, talking to influential people in their areas, handing out informative literature to gain support and awareness and donating themselves to the cause.

What is our cause? What can we do to make things happen for the org?

Rod~

It still sends a mixed message.... When are the BOD members posting personal opinions? Or when are they posting the views and on behalf of the org?

I agree. And having spent a couple years on the BOD, I can see a very real reason why the BOD members need to be consistent in their message in public. I don't care if we are discussing how to clean something that PWNA offers certification for, or if we are talking about bird eye views of the industry, when making public statements (these are public) it is better to have the BOD's message be consistent, since it is very hard to tell personal opinion from PWNA opinion, and really any differences should be in the board room - just my opinion.

Beth

p.s. inconsistency causes headaches for others....

So if you had a plan, say a 5 year plan.. You got involved with any organization then you would know what to expect for the next five years.

I'm only talking a main objective. not day to day business.

I realize that things need to change and evolve.

Henry and John.... thanks for the clarification... It still sends a mixed message.... When are the BOD members posting personal opinions? Or when are they posting the views and on behalf of the org?

Well, when I say this is my personal opinion, it's exactly that.

I don't believe that one person/BOD speaks for the org. I'm a BOD member but I'm just one person involved in a team.

I did not want to make the sweeping statement that being a PWNA member with a license (where required) and insurance makes you legit because there are other factors involved, those are just two small points in being legal.

Another reason why I avoided that sweeping statement is because I didn't want anyone to misinterpret that I or anyone else was saying if your not a PWNA member your not legit.

Remember this has been an ongoing argument in the past and that's why I chose to phrase my comments in that way. It's because of the reading between the lines and critisism of everything that's said on the boards that I stated my opinion in that manner. I wanted to be fair to those that have not joined the PWNA and to keep the TGS from getting dragged into one of those he said she said things again.

This is what these topics usually turn into so I decided to err on the side of caution.. Unfortuanetly I got so caught up in not stirring up a problem that one happens anyway.

I thought this Thread was about orgs in general anyway? If someone has a question about the PWNA, give me a call or email me your number and I'll call you.

Henry.

Don't take this for more than what it is... The reality is this and it has been mentioned before that when you and other BOD members post it is seen as a reflection of the PWNA... You have PWNA BOD in your signature line and John T. is the PWNA adviser. I look at yours and his viewpoints as a voice of those who are the leadership of the organization.

As Ron mentioned, I vote for all of the above for what I would like to see in an organization.

Henry,

It doesnt matter if you are BOD or not,your opinion is just that.I'm glad you had the testicular fortitude to step outside the box and voice what you believe to be true.

The whole I'm a member of XYZ Org. and that makes my business more legit than others is a load of manure.Org. memberships are just another way to meet other business people,you take away from those encounters what you put into them and that particular Org.Nothing more,nothing less.

Orgs. [...] are places to network with other businesses and business people and possibly make some friends.

Well, this org (TGS) works just fine for me and it's cheap too. My customers have never heard of it, but they have never heard of the other orgs either.

Well, this org (TGS) works just fine for me and it's cheap too. My customers have never heard of it, but they have never heard of the other orgs either.

Here Here :corn::corn::corn: - I agree - I list my membership here on "my why hire us" comparison sheet... The customer does not know what "The grime scene is, so when asked, I use it as a teaching opportunity to educate them. I tell them it is a huge Powerwashing Network of Contractors that is a resourse to providing excellent customer results... They eat that stuff up...

So in essence, TGS does many of the things listed above...

PS: my apologies on the "near thread Hijacking" I will try to refrain from posting content off of thread subject.

I am confused.... Then why does the PWNA go through the motions of requiring License and Insurance for membership requirements.... this seems to be a huge mixed message

We face this exact issue with the national rocketry orgs. And the answer is simple. If we could enforce or mandate members behavior (regarding legality and ethics) we would. However, we cannot. So, we have done the best we could and mandated what we could control. The registration of your business and the purchase of insurance.

Kennedy once said it in an inaugural speech "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country!" I think the whole mentality of an org has been skewed to the angle of individual benefit which is in contrast to what it is supposed to be.What is our cause? What can we do to make things happen for the org?

While that makes for excellent theater, the reality is not quite so simple. The relationship between and org and it's members is symbiotic and synergistic. When that relationship becomes imbalanced, the first thing that dies is the created synergies. In later stages, the org dies of starvation and neglect. And while it may suffer from opportunity lost, the member almost never dies as a result of the orgs collapse.

I think a great deal of the discussion regarding membership (or not) in the existing org is that the non-members can clearly define the benefits provided to the org, but cannot clearly define the benefits derived fro the org. More specifically, what the org sees as a member benefit and what the potential member sees as a member benefit are not aligned.

Henry and John.... thanks for the clarification... It still sends a mixed message.... When are the BOD members posting personal opinions? Or when are they posting the views and on behalf of the org?

On some issues I can speak for the Org. and on other issues I'll speak on what my opinion is such as this. I never for a second think that non PWNA members are not legit because we all know that is just not true..but what I do think is that me having my lic/ins. and being a PWNA member is avenue's that help legitimize my company. This works for me and I stand behind it and this is what the Org. does for me which is what the title of this thread is.