Sign in to follow this  
RyanH

Anybody seen these for decks?

Question

I've been toying with the notion of making my deck (to be built late this year hopefully) into a pavilion with roof on the underside, keeping the patio below dry. I've come across several vendors who sell the systems and was wondering if anyone has ever encountered these while either cleaning a house or finishing a deck. Most companies will sell the stuff to install yourself (there's not too much to it). What do ya'll think? Good idea or no?

a few sites:

http://www.undercoverdecks.com/

http://www.belowdecksystems.com/

http://www.decksandthings.com/vendors/underdeck/ud_overview.htm

Looking forward to some input....

RyanH.

9 answers to this question

I have seen a few people hang the plastic unvented soffit under there decks, sloped away from the house to chanel water away. It actually looks good and is real reasonable to do yourself.

Ryan, be sure to go with vinyl. I have seen a few systems here that will channel the water away from the house and collect at the end of the deck and pour down a downspout. Quite unique and worth looking into.

Reed

Reed,

Do you mean the vinyl "siding" underneath the deck or the individual components (as opposed to aluminum, for example)?

This is a really cool concept and I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. I'll have a baby deck (10'x10') that comes with the house...I"m going to practice my staining techniques on it. That'll come down and I'll be building a 16' x 40' or 50' deck reinforced for a hottub. Can't wait! Thanks for the tip.

Reed,

Do you mean the vinyl "siding" underneath the deck or the individual components (as opposed to aluminum, for example)?

This is a really cool concept and I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. I'll have a baby deck (10'x10') that comes with the house...I"m going to practice my staining techniques on it. That'll come down and I'll be building a 16' x 40' or 50' deck reinforced for a hottub. Can't wait! Thanks for the tip.

Individual components. Here the product is called Underdeck or something like that. It is a very cool concept when you think about it. Imagine stripping a deck and all the waste from the deck floor can be routed to one area with the underdeck channeling. Plus when it rains, you can get under the deck and no dripping on you.

If My deck was above ground, I would certainly do it.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Reed

Hey,

I have had some bad experience with the under roof type system. I think the guys who installed it did not know what they were doing. All I can say is besure to have it sloped out or the water will build up on top of it and there is only one way to go. I used to get flooded out of my basement room due to the poor install.

Eric Rovegno

A.D.E Residential Pressure Washing

Pueblo, Colorado

719-948-9685 home

719-251-0588 cell

Eric,

The general rule of thumb is 1/4" fall for every three feet of deck to ensure proper drainage. I am REALLY looking forward to getting outside and starting this project. Hopefully it will be before the end of this year. With the underdeck system and the lights Reed mentioned in another thread, I'll have my own version of "pimp my deck."

I will definitely be posting updates and asking more questions, mostly related to staining. Now to just find a good redwood or cedar dealer in the area for the decking........

Classic,

I'm VERY interested in knowing how it turns out for you. I'm thinking about our house and the only thing I'm really excited about is getting to build and finish this deck. I don't want to become a contractor for this (unless the deck actually turns out to be really nice and I enjoy it enough!!)....will they sell to individuals?