Sign in to follow this  
Russell Cissell

Stain Colors

Question

I am very interested in knowing what the most popular choice of stain color is in your area. We are working on color charts for the Wood-Tux WET and I want to be sure that we have all of the bases covered.

Feel free to list two or three if you feel it's appropriate. If you can include a digital picture of you favorite colors that would also be very helpful. Our goal is to help you maximize your closing ratio by giving you the tools you need to separate yourself from your competition.

To show our appreciation for your assistance we will give anyone who posts (requested information) in this thread a $25.00 credit toward your next purchase with Extreme Solutions, Inc.

Please remember, the more you participate the better our research data becomes. Excellence in development is born of diligence in research!

Thank You,

Russell Cissell

Extreme Solutions, Inc.

13 answers to this question

Russ,

Great Q and I can't wait to try the WET. If you've heard of Sashco (make log products) they just came out with a new oil base than i thought had a cool color system. (sashco.com Transformation Stain)

Red tone light/red tone medium/red tone dark

Gold tone light/gold tone medium/gold tone dark

Brown tone light/brown tone medium/brown tone dark

Natural/grey

I thought these colors were great, and all you would need. I am partial to brown/gold colors. For instance, I love the pics i've seen of your warm honey gold, and if i wanted something darker i would want it to darken up BROWNER, not oranger or redder. The hints of gold with a brown color are great for me.

jon

If you can, please test your products for chink/caulk compatability, you can do it yourself or you can send to one of the producing companies for free i believe and they'll test it for you. sashco.com permachink.com Thanks for asking for input,

Jon,

We have used Wood Tux and Permachink, and no problems have resulted. Hope this helps. Had a home with the square logs this past summer, with one inch wide chink.

Beth

Russ,

Warm Honey Gold,

Western Cedar

You need a Mahogany color - look at the Cabots Australian Timer oil product line for a color sample.

Russ,

Cedar is very popular here in Michigan. The most popular color request I get is for the orange-cedar color. For this reason I have to use TWP cedartone 101.

If you know the color of the TWP, then you know the color I'm looking for.

post-77-137772141064_thumb.jpg

Our most popular color by far is Warm Honey Gold. Once in a while older women will want the Western Red Cedar instead.

I love the look of old mohagany trim in the historical homes. I would like to see how that color would look on a large deck.

It is nice to by the Wood Tux Crystal in a 50 gallon drum then add the colored pigment as needed for each project.

Jesse R. Kirchhoff

Jefferson City, MO 573-634-8882

Lake of the Ozarks, MO 573-964-2311

Toll Free 877-635-2708

People in my region shy away from any type of reddish tint. It seems to be the first thing people ask me.. It's not going to be red is it? Around here its definitely more the honey tone to warmer, deeper browns that get requested.

Howard-

What Jesse is referring to is our new pigment system. Working from a tinted base, or clear you can create any color you like using the ESI tint system.

Over the past few years of collecting feed back from contractors who like to use a superior contractor grade finish we have repeatedly recorded the same basic concern.

It's been stated many different ways but basically it boils down to this:

Contractors like to offer customers several choices in color and tone for their finish. Most contractors don't like to stock several colors because they run the risk of keeping working capital tied up in less popular colors that aren't used often.

Our solution at ESI was to develop a Contractor Friendly tinting system that allows for simple, in field blending of custom colors. This will allow a contractor to provide more choices with a minimal investment in inventory. Now you can stock only the most popular color and still offer the flexibility of choice. You can even develop your own "signature color" that will help you separate yourself from the competition!

We are in the process of developing a color guide that will allow you to quickly reproduce or match colors in the field. The purpose of this thread is to gather as many of the most popular colors as possible so they can be included in this guide.

As always we take the opinion of working contractors VERY SERIOUSLY. Any input you provide will help us deliver products that will allow you to maximize your profitability. The bottom line is, we are in this for our customers and therefor, your success is our mission!

Best of Luck!

Russell Cissell

Extreme Solutions, Inc.

1-866-536-7393

Russ

Thanks for explaining that, I misunderstood and thought Jesse was mixing colors now. That would be great if we could do that. In my area (Southern Maryland) folks want the Western Red Cedar, Warm Honey Gold, clear, in that order. If I could just buy the crystal and mix the color I needed that would really help me out. Not saying I would just buy crystal, I wouldn't but I would keep it on hand and when I found myself running short I'd mix enough to finish the job then restock.

Thanks

Howard

Russ,

Warm Honey Gold and Brown Sugar are far more popular with my clients than Western Cedar and Cal Redwood. Also, I find that some prospects have an easier time selecting a color from a choice of four than from a dozen or more.

Colored Pigment?

Jesse please elaberate more

Hello Howard,

You were correct in the way I mixed my own colors. It was a special circumstance and I probably should not have mentioned it yet until Russ had it all worked out.

I really think you will like this new system for all of the reasons stated above.

Thanks,

Jesse R. Kirchhoff

Jefferson City, MO 573-634-8882

Lake of the Ozarks, MO 573-964-2311

Toll Free 877-635-2708

www.advancedpw.com

www.midmohandyman.com

Charlie Wrote

Any solid color you can have it tinted at a paint store. This product should only be used on the vertical surfaces.

----

I'm not sure what you are referring to but I want to make it clear that the tint system used for the Wood-Tux line is not compatible with the systems used for tinting paint. You cannot take any product in this line to a paint store for tinting.

Wood-Tux has been formulated to provide excellent protection for both vertical and horizontal surfaces. It is a great product for all types of exterior wood preservation including cedar homes, log cabins, decks, fences etc.

Best of Luck

Russell Cissell