Sign in to follow this  
jnoden

Limonene

I have been trying to research this product a little and can not find out much about it any where. I know many people use a home brew but does anyone use Limonene? Envirospec states that it is hands down their best house wash chemical and it is enviro safe, smells good and rinses well. Some people have said that there has been problems with windows streaking occassionaly but Im wondering if this is the biggest problem because I can probably get around that some how.

If I remember right limonene is one of the major ingrediants of Eaco chems soap Glory which I believe is the best brushless soap you can buy. It also works great on houses and on gutters. www.cleanertimes.com has an article 10 pages long on limonone. It works great for me but then again there is more than one way to barbecue an elaphant.

Richard

The key to not causing problems with windows, is to prewet them before applying any detergent, and to NEVER allow soap to dry on them. Rinse, Rinse, Rinse.

thanks Tony I will keep that in mind. RLS I was checking out the web site and see that they list Cleansol as their house wash and Glory as their truck wash. Have you used these products? I was thinking about trying envirospecs limonene since they have a special on it right now.

Agreed rinsing is key, but as a side note.. I use the Emulsifier Plus from E-spec and its fairly caustic. The first time I mixed it (the directions given are for a concentrate which is then further diluted to a soultion) It hit the widows and left wicked haze. The day was windy, it was extremely sunny and there was no way to keep up. Needless to say I spent longer making sure my mix was right the next time. I know this isn't limonene specifically, but just my exp. with another e-spec chem.

I have used espec's limonene in house washing, but the problem I have is the instructions only pertain to how to mix it up to make 55 gallons. Thats it. There are no instructions on ratios to use or what it is designed specifically to work on. Plus, no msds. All that fancy lingo in the ad and blamo disappointo.

If you are looking for Limonene to work on mildew or algae, it doesnt. If you are looking for it to clean something, there is nothing stating what it is supposed to clean. Its advertised for house washing, but when I wash a house, it is to remove mildew/algae or oxidation. There are 2 different methods involved in the removal of each. Alone, limonene has not been effective on either. As we all know, dirt falls off the siding just from hot water alone. Mildew/algae need a strong oxidizer to kill it in order to remove it easily, otherwise, you have to beat it off with high pressure (2500psi+) Oxidation is removed well under a 2 step acid/alkaline process and rinsed with hot water under moderate pressure (600-900 psi)

After trying Limonene at a number of concentrations, it now sits on a shelf waiting for a qualified use as a degreaser.

Rod~

Beth,

Have you tried Limolene as a gutter cleaner? I used it for the past 6 months and I do agree with you, it is not the best housewash mix and it will haze windows if left on to long. Now what I may disagree with you is on the gutter cleaning. You have a considerable amount of experience than I but I have used it to clean gutter and it does that part well. I do not consider myself a chemist by no means, and can not add to why it cleans gutter but it does.

DeGraffreed

I have been trying to research this product a little and can not find out much about it any where. I know many people use a home brew but does anyone use Limonene? Envirospec states that it is hands down their best house wash chemical and it is enviro safe, smells good and rinses well. Some people have said that there has been problems with windows streaking occassionaly but Im wondering if this is the biggest problem because I can probably get around that some how.

I've got about 40 gallons of out in back you can have...I used it for a short time until I started using Citracleen (a NON-d-Limonene based citrus soap).

The limonene streaked aluminum, hazed windows, didn't work well as a soap, and was generally crap. Why "get around" a problem with there are much better products out there?

Agreed rinsing is key, but as a side note.. I use the Emulsifier Plus from E-spec and its fairly caustic. The first time I mixed it (the directions given are for a concentrate which is then further diluted to a soultion) It hit the widows and left wicked haze. The day was windy, it was extremely sunny and there was no way to keep up. Needless to say I spent longer making sure my mix was right the next time. I know this isn't limonene specifically, but just my exp. with another e-spec chem.

I also use Emulsifier Plus. I don't have room to mix up and store 55 gallon drums. I phoned Espec a couple years ago about mixing individual batches of the product. It's not a problem they said.

Two plastic one cup scoops to 5 gallons water is a good starting point. Most any alkaline detergent can etch or streak glass if allowed to dry, not just E-Plus.

One of these days I'll have to try the citricleen, having heard nothing but good about it.

I also use Emulsifier Plus. I don't have room to mix up and store 55 gallon drums. I phoned Espec a couple years ago about mixing individual batches of the product. It's not a problem they said.

Two plastic one cup scoops to 5 gallons water is a good starting point. Most any alkaline detergent can etch or streak glass if allowed to dry, not just E-Plus.

One of these days I'll have to try the citricleen, having heard nothing but good about it.

its the only stuff we use....Citriclean rocks, mix with some 10% and away you go.....havent used the foamer yet with it, but I want to give it a try

Have you tried Limolene as a gutter cleaner? I used it for the past 6 months and I do agree with you, it is not the best housewash mix and it will haze windows if left on to long. Now what I may disagree with you is on the gutter cleaning. You have a considerable amount of experience than I but I have used it to clean gutter and it does that part well. I do not consider myself a chemist by no means, and can not add to why it cleans gutter but it does.

DeGraffreed

Probably because its in the same class as other cleaners that work well on electrostatic bonding of the asphalt material from the roof. Its a petroleum based result and therefore D Limonene will work on it due to the nature of the products capabilities as a degreaser.

Rod~

Did you prewet the windows? A dry window in direct sunlight can get very hot. It is possible that applying soap directly to a hot window could cause the soap to flash dry. It can happen in seconds. Always prewet windows. If there is a chance that overspray can land on anything that it should not be on, then prewet those surfaces too.

Wondering if I can get some updated comments on Limonene. I use Emulsifier Plus with good results. But It would be nice to get away from the bleach if orange peels

will do the same thing.

I have used this product and it cleans fine, just doesn't work the same on mold/algae.

You still have to brush it.

With bleach, you see the mold and algae turn brown as it is cooked.

Limonene doesn't do that in my experience.

If you have little in the way of mold to clean and are just looking for a good cleaner, Emulsifier plus can do the job.

Rod

Wondering if I can get some updated comments on Limonene. I use Emulsifier Plus with good results. But It would be nice to get away from the bleach if orange peels

will do the same thing.

Never used it because of reasons posted above, plus it's basically a solvent and does nothing for mold & mildew.

When I got back into house washing a couple years ago the guys I was working with were using the Limonene and E-Plus. It was ridiculous how long and how much effort it was taking to remove all the organic growth on the houses. After the 3rd house I was done with it. I switched to Simple Cherry, then when it was released mid last year switched to Elemonator both in a 12.5% SH mix. The houses instantly started being cleaned easier and looked better.

I have found the Limonene does a decent job on the fleets I wash.

There are only 2 reasons I have found for people trying to avoid the use of SH. 1, they do not understand it (which can be solved with research), or 2, they are trying to sell you a chemical and the only way they can do it is by bashing the only thing that truly works.

Cool - sounds like Elemonator is getting good reviews on other forums also. Currently I am totally happy with E-Plus but I am always up for something better.

Thanks Rod and Guy!!!

Everything I clean has  mold on it.... it seems there is always something trying to replace bleach,,, to no avail. :confusion:

Same here Brother!

I'm really not sure "why" there is so much mis-information about bleach and why there seems to be a push to replace it's use. Properly used it's the best bang for the buck mildew-cide...algae-cide (when mixed with the proper surfactant (soap)) out there.

Knowing proper ratios, application methods, and surfactants when using bleach will be the key to outstanding & safe results.

There are only 2 reasons I have found for people trying to avoid the use of SH. 1, they do not understand it (which can be solved with research), or 2, they are trying to sell you a chemical and the only way they can do it is by bashing the only thing that truly works.

Here, Here........Well Said!