Barry M

extension ladder

What kind of extension ladder  

128 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of extension ladder

• Aluminum
    • Fiberglass
    • Wood

What kind of extension ladder do you use and why? I'm trying to find out if one has an advantage over another, or if it is just a matter of opinion. I will go with a fiberglass step latter but I'm not sure on the extension. It's a tose up between aluminum and fiberglass.

Barry,

We use (when we have to use an extension ladder) a fiberglass. It weighs about 3000 lbs more than the aluminum BUT, just last week while working out at a development we have, I watched guys with aluminum extensions - It was really scary the way those things flopped around, even with someone holding it at the bottom. I'm a height chicken so for me there's something to be said for what I think is a more solid ladder. The guys you see around here with aluminums are the hispanic painters (clearly no fear as they will put two on a ladder with a quickness) and the roofers (they're all crazy anyway) ....the gutter guys use the fiberglass and seem to respect the heights they are working at a little more than the others.

Celeste

Barry

I use nothing but fiberglass have both a 24 and 28 foot both have stabilizers. Stabilizers keep the ladder off the gutters as well as providing a more solid feel while working. I agree with Celeste they are 3000 times heavier but I've had an aluminum twist and fall with me before, fiberglass won't do that.

I have a fiberglass 6 foot step and a 24' extension ladder with a stabilzer. Stablizer is a huge plus and like Howard said it keeps the ladder off of the gutters.

Richard

I use a 32ft aluminum everyday.Treat any ladder with respect and you will be fine.Fiberglass is for electrical work and take one hell of a man to throw up a 32

day in and day out.

Fiberglass is the way to go, minimal flex, does not conduct electricity, easy to stencil your company name on the side and just heavy enough so that the wind wont blow it off the side of the building while you are on the roof!

Yes we use a stabilizer - if using a ladder was a day in day out ordeal, we might reconsider but so far it's been fine. The two of us have no problem - we have a good buddy system for getting our 40 footer up and down :) (But then again....I'm one hell of a woman! LOL)

Celeste

I have a 24', 28 ' fiberglass extension ladders and a 8' fiberglass step ladder. It's all about balance. I find it easier to carry a ladder by myself that with help. Now a 32' fiberglass :eek: I'll take the help on that one.

Dont trust any type of ladder as far as wind.Tie it off at the top every time.No buddy wants to get stranded on a roof with your ladder on the ground.As for fiberglass and electric,think smart and treat EVERY wire as hot.

Fiberglass extension ladder, orange colored and rated to support more weight then most other ladders. Commercial rated.

I use a stabalizer now and it makes a great difference. MUCH MORE support for the ladder, protects the gutters, and prevents most ladder movement.

Ladders are not something you want to cut corners on when it comes to cost. Your safety should be more of a concern then money.

All my ladders are aluminum, and since I do not go higher than 24', I see no reason to bust my butt hauling heavy fiberglass ladders around. Also use stabilizers, as they make a huge difference in stability.

I use all Werner aluminum Type IA heavy duty...16 Ft., 24 Ft and 40 Ft. that weighs a ton but the wind is not going to blow you away. I usually charge xtra if i have to use the 40' on any job.:cool:

We use fiberglass step ladders 4ft, 8ft and 12ft. all of the extention ladders 16ft,24ft,28ft and 40ft we have are aluminum with ladder levelers and we use stand-offs when possible. Why carry the extra weight around all day, its more important to have the energy on the ladder and moving the ladder. Yes, the stand-offs and ladder levelers add more weight but thats where we add our weight not the (fiberglass) you should make your ladders safer.

Marino Ortega

ReflectiveClean@aol.com

I guess it does depend a bit on a persons wieght as to which ladder to choose. I weigh about 175 and my 20ft is rated to 225. For a big boy/girl I would probably go with the fiberglass.

It's just not your weight, its the total weight of you and your equipment and or anything else up there with you. I guess like I said before why push it to its limit? You can spend a little extra and get a ladder that can support you much better then an aluminum, light duty, home owners ladder. My safety will always come before cost. There are ways you can carry ladders that make moving it around much easier, not to mention wheeled carts.

Type 1a aluminum or fiberglass suports 300 pounds.

There is no difference

except for the weight. I went to the werner ladder website, the 24 ft. type 1A aluminum ladder shipped actually weighs 8 pounds more then the fiberglass ladder. So when comparing the ladders that are equal in weight restrictions, the aluminum actually weighs a little more.

Ok, who voted for wood? It takes a heck of a man to move a wooden ladder upright by himself. Especially after it rains and the wood swells. I use to do it for a vinyl siding company I worked for, talk about busting a nut.