Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

The amazing wood kid

The amazing wood kid

By Rob Golub

RACINE - Give Nick Roy, 15, some wood. Stand back. Results follow.

After you visit the blinds, bathrooms and builders at the Home Expo today, you'll find teenage entrepreneur Nick Roy in the basement of Memorial Hall.

He's selling his labor of love. He's selling yet more stuff he's made out of wood.

What's interesting about his carpentry is that he picked it up with absolutely no training whatsoever. No books on carpentry. No home repair TV watching. He just made it all up.

[/url]1x1.gifIt all started when, one day, he asked his dad to build him skateboard ramps in their Racine backyard. When dad said he didn't know if he had the time, Nick asked dad if he could at least have the wood. Much to everyone's surprise, Nick then went ahead and built a small skateboard park.

That was sixth grade.

Now, as a freshman at Case High School, Nick finds he's the expert. "We're learning how to make boxes now in shop class so I'm a little ahead," he admitted.

Nick's father, Charles Roy, 42, gave his son some space in front of his Memorial Hall booth, CCC & W Deck Cleaning & Power Washing. Nick displays smooth, professional-looking and hand-made wooden boxes at a small table at the front of the booth.

Nick sold a $45 box Saturday, his first-ever sale. "It feels great," he said.

"At first I wanted to be an architect and then I found out I wouldn't be able to build stuff so I decided I want to be a carpenter," he said. "I want to start my own carpentry business. When I grow old that's what I would like to do in life."

Why wait? Nick wants to start up his business now, at age 15. Forget boxes. Next, he wants to try building and selling cabinets and entertainment centers.

http://www.journaltimes.com/articles/2005/03/20/local/iq_3446479.txt

Note: The young man in this article is the son of Charlie Roy, a member here on TGS. Charlie, thanks for sharing this with us. Hope you don't mind that I wanted to post it here for posterity. Great article!

Beth

No problem Beth. The wood he uses is exotic wood for his pieces. The best part of this is that he had 25-30 people come up to him and said they came down there to see him. He also got two more orders.

Charlie

Congrats Charley, and MOST OF ALL, CONGRATS NICK.

Love it when the youth of today have theirs talents put forth and not sitting around the computer games.

As they say where I was raised, You done good by him Charley.

Reed

Sounds like my cousin. He was making skateboards in junior high, guitars in high school, violins, cellos and some REALLY fancy exotic wood furniture since. Top notch quality with no formal training. I think since then he's turned his attention to masonry work. Amazing stuff, though none of it made it to me. It's cool when people like these guys seem to have these amazing natural talents. i'm more respective of that type of talent than just about any other personal trait.

Welcome Nick and Charlie

Nick, Nice work, good quality wood work is very hard to find. Have you ever thought of making Cigar Humidor's? They're not much bigger than what your making now. Just a thought.

Again very nice work.

Howard

Nick,

You are seriously da man!! Good job not being a worthless punk like probably 90% or us were when we were your age! I loved that bloodwood/cherry box, when work picks up and I get over the winter money blues (dad will understand that one:)) I am going to buy one of those. I am sure your dad is proud of you, but more importantly, you should give yourself a big ole' pat on the back for not being afraid to take a risk and doing something you love with your talents. Best of luck to your future, and all the great things I'm sure it will hold,

jon

Hey Nick,

Just remember, if you can love your trade, you'll always be happy with your job. This is a great talent that you have and you can go far with it! (But you still need to go to college!)

Celeste