Sign in to follow this  
Paul B.

References (Conversion Charts, Formulas).

Most folks at one time or another want to know how to convert miles to kilometers or liters to gallons, how much is an acre, how to size pulleys, motors, belt lengths, what metals are stronger, have more corrosion resistance, stock sizes, what is a tap drill for a 1/4"-20 tap, etc., etc., etc.

The know it all reference book used by mechanical designers and engineers is the Machinery Handbook. (There are others specific to electrical, HVAC and fluid power). The contents of the Machinery Handbook are extensive. It contains: conversion charts, material selection and properties, geometry formulas, HP formulas, pulley and belt length calculations, tap drill and tap size charts, trig formulas, stress, deflection and other formulas, etc., etc. This is the Bible and major reference book of all mechanical designers and engineers. It is expensive in the $100 range, but it's a reference book for a life-time.

On the other end of the financial scale (FREE), lot of product manufacturers place charts and formulas in their catalogs. I always make it a habit to get a paper catolog even when on-line access is available - I don't always want to take my laptop into the shop. Here are a two that have a wealth of info on parts, materials and references:

Dultmeier (www.Dultmeier.com) - Distributor of a wide range of excellent product and parts for the pressure washing and other service industries.

- Nozzle Volume chart

- Nozzle Pattern chart

- Hose Friction chart

- Water through Hose Flow Data graph

- Viscosity Measures

- Pipe and Tubing chart

- Pump and system hook-up diagrams

- Motor Frame charts

- Pulley selection chart

- Weights & Measures

- Conversion Factors and Formulas

ChemMasters (www.ChemMasters.net) - Mfg. of concrete products such as repair mortars, cures and seals, concrete and masonry sealers, coatings and toppings, cleaners and solvents.

- Conversion charts (about 15 pages worth)

- Building material weights

- Water/Cementweights - Temperature Conversion

- Concrete Estimator

- Solids Coating Coverage

Call them or e-mail them for a copy of their catalogs.

Paul that book you refer to the Machinerys Handbook is a machinist bible. I know, thats what I did for 14 yrs and the last 2 yrs I was the quality control manager there. I used that book everyday and it was well worn. Its a must if you do any kind of machine work.:)

Memorize that handbook and you can take the equivalency test to become a professional mechanical engineer. They allowed people to do that in the 70's and 80's but I don't know if that has changed or not.

I still use it quite a bit. What edition is yours?

I worked with an old timer that had like the 7th eddition.

We had to buy him another one so he could keep up with the new technology.

I have this book also, Received my card in 1996, been out of the business for 4 years and will not go back....

There is another book that has the same info for about .50 cents and it gets you by alot cheaper and if you get it, it will pay for itself the first time for sure....

Carr lane handy multipliers and trig tables for engineers...

Ziel supply company is wher I bought it...

309-764-4242 Hope this helps...

Matt

I also forgot to mention, I am lucky enough to live in a town that dultmeier is located.... I can not say enough about these guys.

Matt