Sign in to follow this  
Littlefield

wood restoration rig

I'm putting together a little trailer to do strictly wood restoration, as that is my main work, with some painting.

On a 5x8 single axle trailer, I'm mounting a 225 gal tank, for all the cabins around here that are on 2gpm wells.

I'm putting a float valve on the tank so I can run the anemic water flow that IS available into the tank to offset usage.

On the back end of the trailer, I'm mounting two units, both 4gpm, 3k psi. They will both have 150' of hose on a reel.

Because of the difficulty of hauling around a fiver with an X-Jet I'm going with a Shurflo unit to apply stripper, and a different for brightener.

All units will be plumbed in with either clear tubing, 1", or Sch 80 PVC.

The Shurflo units will have air hose reels as well.

Now, please pick apart this setup, make suggestions, refinements, criticisms.

I would love for someone to point out a major flaw before I pay to make it......

Hey Rich,

Silent Rod here...I would recommend a dual axle trailer. It balances better and relieves the tongue load when the tank gets low. Besides that, it is just more stable.

For the tank, I would recommend a 50 mesh screen for the incoming water. Some residents dont take care of their tanks and they sometimes get silt and other debris in them and that can make its way into your water supply and cause flow problems.

For the 2 pw'ing units, remove the chem injectors and keep the system closed. This gives you a better flow without over working the pump for something you may never use. Also recommend electric start for both with a 25 amp recharging system. Beats the heck out of trying to pull start 2 units on a cold day.

Keep 2-50' hoses in reserve for when you need the additional length.

a 5'er and an X-Jet? are you using that to apply chems to a deck?

Definately use the shurflos but mount them on a 2-wheel cart to make transporting them to the site easier. Keep the X-Jet for house washing and get a 72" ext. lance for those breezy days.

shurflos---a/c or d/c? d/c gives you the least interupted service with a battery and charger that works off your vehicles 12 volt system.

Other than that, the rest is preferrence in equipment manufacturer you are confident with for your units. Cat pumps and k-7 unloaders are da-bomb!:cool:

Hope this helps...:)

Silent Rod (who will try to be more outspoken on this BBS):eek:

Rod,

Maybe you should get your own user name, so we know exacty when it's you............and we can hold you accountable for that last statement.

The other thing you could do is mount the shurflo in the trailer and have about 300' of hose for it on a reel...........so you dont have to drag carts all over the place. Of course, you could disconnect the cart from the reel and make it mobile if you need to...................thats an ideal set up to me.

Mike,

Rod says he's not sure the shurflo pump will handle 300 feet of hose... otherwise he agrees. Do you know if it will? (this over his shoulder as he was walking out to the shop area...)

Beth

As far as the pump and 300ft. That depends on the pump's PSI,GPM and DIA. of the supply line.

It comes down to friction loss.

I dont know much about the terrain and why you dont want to take the chem to the surface. You must have reasons.

I just think a 20 gal drum set-up on a hand cart would still be easier.

Have you ever looked at the hose end sprayers Dave Olsen use's?

A 5X8 trailer!!!!!!

You will outgrow that in a week.

Wash units,fuel cans,3 kinds of strippers,2 kinds of sealers.extra hose,tarps,brush's,roller's,pan's,rags,exstension cords,sanders,buffer/polisher,screw gun,hammer,saw,exstension wand,tool's,water cooler,MSDS,sand paper,defurring pads,extra 12 volt pump,fittings,teflon tape,o rings,o ring pic,tips,masking tape,plastic sheeting,laun plywood shields,ladder,maybe you'll need scaffolding,first aid kit,gloves glass's,nuet. for chems you might spill on yourself,fire exstinguisher,change of clothe's,screws,nails,room for lumber if you need to replace any,wood filler,chinking,im sure im forgetting a lot.

i dont do cabins just some decks.

plus 4 hose reels?

Ron, good comments, but I'm designing this for something very specific.

I have a covered trailer I haul all that other stuff in. I do my work in two stages, stripping/cleaning, and sealing. One trailer for each.

Believe it or not, I have yet to do a deck, without the whole house. Just the way it is here in the hills, all my work is cabins.

Good luck using scaffold on a 45% or steeper slope. That is what is on two or possibly three sides of every cabin I do.

The one side that is on flat ground, usually the driveway coming in from above, is usually the smallest side.

Hauling or wheeling anything around these houses is impossible, or impractical. I can get the trailer within 15' of the house in almost all cases, so I want everything mounted on it.

Rod, thanks for the good suggestions. The electric starters sound great, used to have them on a Water Shotgun model in the past.

Shurflo I'm looking at will probably be D/C. I'll set it up to charge from the truck, unless anybody has a warning about that.

Didn't even think about disconnecting the injectors, thats how I'm applying chemicals now, but when I get the Shurflo's, that will be a thing of the past.

I'm going to put a heavy gauge mesh filter, per your suggestion, as well as a removable whole house filter in the line in front of the pumps, to catch the fine stuff.

I have on open 4x10 trailer and have out grown it, but I don't cart water. Up front is all my chems, buckets, and supplies. I mounted a lift top truck box sideways on one side of the trailer to hold all my rain/water suits, gloves, tape, boots, extra stuff. on the back I mounted my pw right above the axel with two hose reels aft of that. I have a drop down gate, so I lower it and unwind the hoses. Mounted ladder racks on the side of the trailer that holds my ladders and they are "inside" the wheel wells so they don't protrude outside the trailers side profile.

Works for me, though I sometimes wish I had a tandem trailer to hold more "stuff".

Reed

The 225 gal of water alone weighs over 1800#. A 5x8 single axle does not have enough GVRW capacity to safely carry all your equipment.

Here's an ideal way to construct a chemical delivery system: Build a system on a portable cart. Strap the cart inside the trailer. Use it as a trailer mounted system when appropriate, or unstrap it, and move it to the jobsite. You'd have the best of both worlds. The only difference is where you are going to draw the chem from, the trailer or the local site. You'd need to have a reel with spray line mounted in the trailer with q/c's so you can change lines quickly.

Many of us live in areas where parking a trailer is just not possible. Many housing communities have very limited parking. I know that had an impact on our decision.

Beth

P.S. Welcome to the forums, please go to your MY CONTROLS and add your signature.

Why do you pros mount your pressure washers to your trailers?

A couple of reasons.. efficiency, looking professional. Pros use high flow machines that require large heavy pumps and big motors (20+ hp). There is no way you can move those around. It much more efficient, even if you have a smaller portable machine to just unwind a couple of hoses from a reel and get to work.

This is an example of a professional machine.

Diesel Fired 12 Volt Hot Water Burner System General Belt Drive Pump General Pulsar Unloader Valve with EZ Start 5.5 GPM @ 4000 PSI, 20 HP Honda Engine 50' High Pressure Hose with QC's Gun and Wand Assembly with QC's - 12 VOLT 5.5 GPM

55gpm40psiho.html

Edited by PressurePros

When mounting your units it is best to mount them in front of the rear wheels. When mounted in the back they will bounce up and down a lot more especially if your trailer is empty of water. This springboard action can be very damaging to your unit.

I am planning to set up a open trailer for exterior wood restoration.(decks)

Would it not be best to remove the p/w from the trailer to get to the back of the houses?

Also, would you lose too much pressure with a long hose if your washer was mounted on a trailer parked on the street or driveway?

Keep in mind that I am a total rookie!!!

Edited by starter dave

I am planning to set up a trailer for exterior wood restoration.(decks)

Would it not be best to remove the p/w from the trailer to get to the back of the houses?

Also, would you lose too much pressure with a long hose if your washer was mounted on a trailer parked on the street or driveway?

Welcome to TGS. PLease go to "my controls" and complete your signature line. House rules. We like to know who we are talking to.

Again, welcome.

I am planning to set up a open trailer for exterior wood restoration.(decks)

No. You run more hose. There is negligible pressure loss. Doesn't matter anyway. You clean decks with 1000 psi or less. There is a search function on this forum that will guide you in the use of proper chemicals, cleaners and pH balancing agents for wood.

For wood restoration, I wouldn't bother with a trailer setup but just make a rig in the back of your truck. Easier to get around in most of the confining drives and communities that were not built with trailers in mind.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/scrap-book/14024-fords-rule.html

Mine is at post #4

Rod!~

Maybe I should be asking the ready seal people this question but will they sell ready seal to non contractors ?

I would like to do my own deck to practice on.

Dave,

Call Tom or Barbara at ACR Products in Easton, Pa. on Monday. Phone is (610) 253-1899. They will gladly sell you Ready Seal stain.

Do most of you deck guys carry water tanks on your trucks or trailers?

or does the customers supply all the water? Does it depend on the customers home water pressure? Do you charge differently if you use the customers H20?

Edited by starter dave