Sign in to follow this  
desi

hf acid

Tony in Michigan mentioned he never uses this stuff. I am wondering if you folks use products that contain HF ACID? Places like Prosoco, Eacochem, etc. say it's so diluted most of the danger is gone.

By the way, what is HF and hydrochloric good for cleaning?

Richard uses it all the time doing trucks. Some of eacochem's products contain small amounts. I've always been told it's a nasty so if we can use something that is as effective, we avoid the stuff ourselves.

Hydrochloric acid is the proper term for muriatic. The only time we'll use plain ole muriatic acid is to etch concrete prior to staining it. My personal philosophy is that the chemical mixtures that actual chemists mix have a wonderful purpose - they all have the right amount of all of the ingredients to make a product funtion as it should PLUS they come with instructions, which is a monumental help if you were to ever have a problem or failure. It's worth the few extra dollars to me to know that I have a lower risk of an accident or claim that could send my insurance through the roof.

Just my .12 worth.

Celeste

Hydrochloric acid is the proper term for muriatic. The only time we'll use plain ole muriatic acid is to etch concrete prior to staining it. My personal philosophy is that the chemical mixtures that actual chemists mix have a wonderful purpose - they all have the right amount of all of the ingredients to make a product funtion as it should PLUS they come with instructions, which is a monumental help if you were to ever have a problem or failure.

Can you recommend a better product than xjetted 33% muriatic to remove ground in red clay stains from new construction concrete drives? All I've had success with is a light spritz through the xjet followed by a surface cleaning. muratic is expensive and difficult to handle. Suitable alternatives are welcome.

P.S. Our Northern friends need not reply. Your reddish dirt is not red clay by a _large_ margin. Unless you have lived down here and experienced red clay stains in all their orange glory, you can't possibly understand. :) Seriously though, I'd rather deal with red kool-aid on white carpet than red clay stains...

Hey Philip -

Oxalic acid does wonders on our nasty southern red stuff :) We use it on all the new construction sidewalks, driveways, slabs & even the vinyl siding. We do wash the surfaces with hot water first to see what's gonna let go. Mix oxalic 2 lbs to 5 gallons of water in a pump up sprayer and evenly spray the entire driveway (you can't spot clean concrete with this) let dwell for about 10 minutes then rinse. We have experienced where some idiot has walked with muddy feet across the uncured concrete - in other words, if the mud is in the cream coat prior to proper curing - it ain't all coming out with anything other than time (maybe).

Celeste

Can you recommend a better product than xjetted 33% muriatic to remove ground in red clay stains from new construction concrete drives?

I don't personally believe that an xjet is the right tool to apply HF or HC acid. Both can be extremely toxic. It's almost impossible to not create overspray when using an xjet.

Over spray from an xjet can carry in the wind for 100 feet, easily. Why would anyone want to risk causing uncontained overspray from HF or HC acid ?

Well I guess you could keep some calcium gluconate (sp?) gel ready in case the HF ends up on someones' skin.

Check out this web page.......http://mrel.bsg.uiuc.edu/shannon/labHF-safety.htm

I know this is a little late but I happened on to this post. Eco-Chem makes a product called One Restore that works great for the red clay staining. I have used it numerous times with great results.

Michael