Sign in to follow this  
tropical wave

beige aluminum siding

Question

we've got a tan aluminum house to do this week (weather wont cooperate) but anyway, the siding isnt too oxidized, not too much when rubbed with hand......the homeowner is removing all the aluminum shutters and replacing with new ones after the wash, which you can tell on the pics that behind the shutters is nasty. the siding underneath is a little darker (un-faded) but its mostly dirt...the aluminum isnt that old style smooth surface, it has ridges in it like vinyl, the aluminum trim is the smooth dark brown that I'll have to be careful not to remove too much.....the question is, under the overhangs is where the most of the grime is, we'll use regular mix of citriclean, 12%, etc. etc. if the mix doesnt get this clean, is there anything else in the arsenal that I could shoot on there...heavy degreaser, acid, anything ?????? being somewhat oxidized aluminum, im gonna reduce the pressure quite a bit and rinse with a 40 as to not zig zag the siding with an X-jet rinse...... plus if we can get to it before next tuesday, it will be only around 50 degrees and damp, any comments on dwell time etc with the dampness and drizzle...... thanx !!

3 answers to this question

Mike,

Often times with aluminum siding, I have found that the top one or two panels below the overhang are actually pitted, although from the ground they look just dirty.

There is nothing that can be done to eliminate this, except to repaint the area.

I would suggest a closer inspection, and if you find the pitting, then you need to explain to the customer that you can get the siding cleaner, but the pitting will still be visible on the top panels.

Sometimes it's necessary to do a little testing up front to determine exactly what you are up against before you commit to anything.

Mike,

Often times with aluminum siding, I have found that the top one or two panels below the overhang are actually pitted, although from the ground they look just dirty.

There is nothing that can be done to eliminate this, except to repaint the area.

I would suggest a closer inspection, and if you find the pitting, then you need to explain to the customer that you can get the siding cleaner, but the pitting will still be visible on the top panels.

Sometimes it's necessary to do a little testing up front to determine exactly what you are up against before you commit to anything.

well, its supposed to be almost 60 tomorrow and sunny, so we're gonna head a bit north and do this one.....if theres time and the weather holds out, we've got a deck to strip too...which is also pretty far north from us...

thanks for the tip tony, the top is the "dirtiest" area and I really hope it isnt pitted, it isnt really that old either...maybe 8 years the homeowner said (why its not vinyl, I'll never know) the rest of the house is filthy, and it will be a whole lot cleaner....plus his cement steps and foundation are moldy which will also come nice and clean......the homeowner will be pleased and if the top 2 rows are pitted Ill tell him so...... thanks again !!! you enjoying that snow up there?

Well the snow was here yesterday,(about 4-5") and gone today when it hit 63. Craziest darn weather I can remember.

Sunday was like a blizzard at times, and this afternoon, some neighbors were mowing their grass....:)