Sign in to follow this  
JFife

removing wallpaper

Question

I have to remove some wallpaper border from my house, and was wondering if anyone had any tips. Guy was telling me that you can mix Downy 1:1 with water and it will remove wallpaper better than any stripper you can find at the store. Any input??

8 answers to this question

When I bought the house it was full of wallpaper.

I used a product called Dif from Home Depot.

Never heard of the Dawn method so I can't say anything but I do know that Dif worked wonders. Just follow the instructions on the back. It's worth noting that my wall paper was professionally installed and from what I understand this makes a big difference.

Good luck

I heard that too Jon. Also, if the wallpaper is vinyl or anything that doesn't soak water, you will want to score the paper to allow the solution to penetrate. There is a tool available with wheels and rolling pointy tips, it might be called a wallpaper tiger or something like that.

Put the downy/water mix in a spray bottle and apply like that. Use a 4" scraper to help ease the paper off.

Wallpaper removal has to rate as one of the biggest pains in the *** for homeowner tasks. Except maybe for deck maintainance....lol.

I guess we were lucky. We remodled a bathroom, and the paper just peeled off in sheets. But then, we were not surprised, especially when we had an easy time removing old tile from the floor...the prior owner didn't like adhesives...

Try the downy... it makes sense in a way.

Beth

Depends on the kind of wallpaper and glue. I've got most wallpaper off just soaking it with hot water, and then peeling it right off the wall.

Mike just the upper portion or the entire thing all at once. I'm not familiar with the different types but when I used the Dif mixed with hot water and sprayed it on, it only pealed the top layer off (or the patterned layer). The backing came off even easier afterwards.........all it needed was to be moistened with some more hot water.

the one thing about steamers is you have to be careful that you dont leave the steam plate in the same place for to long.....and the plaster is old it will take off the plaster in sheets.....i use one sometimes but most times i use a paper tiger,4 inch scraper and a wool\foam paint roller, rolling sideways from the top and working fast downwards....go round the room 3 times with the water...start stripping and wet as needed.

there is good money in this working for painters\firms in the winter.