Sign in to follow this  
M Pearlstein

Quick Surface cleaner question

Question

New to surface cleaners and I have one out back to work on my own patio first.

I can see the dirt coming up but my question is.....

Why wont the same dirt go right back into the deck and look dirty again when dry?

I guess the second part of the question is are you suppossed to use a gun to move the dirt once it is lifted?

Any advice and tips are welcomed with open arms!!

Thx in advance

16 answers to this question

I always rinse after using a surface cleaner. Some spots are more stubborn than others and you will need to go after them with the wand as well. Gum is a prime example. Also you will have places that the surface cleaner can not reach and you will use the wand. Kond of like a mower and a trimmer, they each have their use and go hand in hand.

Even if your surface cleaner did get every single spot you would still have to rinse it off the excess water. If you don't then the dirt will settle, the water will dry up and it's dirty again.

The use of a water broom helps greatly when rising off. I have 12" brooms with 3 nozzles and 16" brooms with 4 nozzles. It really speeds the rinse up.

I found a good price for brooms at http://www.Higherpowersupplies.com

Their price was like $32 for the 16" broom but if you buy more than 1, it gets cheaper. I think I paid $28 each. I think I paid $24 for the 12" brooms.

Good cleaning.....

Ya, I like the 16" broom. It does a nice sweep to rinse only. Doesn't have the punch to do a deep clean, but to do a final rinse, I use it quite often. I use it with a 48" lance and it is very comfortable for me.

Always rinse the more you rinse the better your job will look. for a avg. driveway i use about 300 gal when i rinse. and did you say you used a surface cleaner on a deck if i were you I wound not do that its a good way to mess up good wood quick

Always rinse the more you rinse the better your job will look. for a avg. driveway i use about 300 gal when i rinse. and did you say you used a surface cleaner on a deck if i were you I wound not do that its a good way to mess up good wood quick

You must have some mighty big driveways out there, as 300 gallons for me would be one hour of washing. To use that just for a rinse seems crazy. I can use one 230 gallon tank to do 3000 square feet. Surface cleaner first, then back to rinse and get the gum.

and did you say you used a surface cleaner on a deck if i were you I wound not do that its a good way to mess up good wood quick

Its a large paver (24" squares) patio. Way too much pressure from my cleaner to use on wood :)

You must have some mighty big driveways out there, as 300 gallons for me would be one hour of washing. To use that just for a rinse seems crazy. I can use one 230 gallon tank to do 3000 square feet. Surface cleaner first, then back to rinse and get the gum.

I'm assuming 5.5gpm Are you doing 3000sq in 45 minutes?!? That is awesome. With 4gpm and a 27in cleaner, I'm at about 1000ft/hr clean and rinse.

Hope everyone had a good mothers day today, and for those of you lucky guys and gals with their mother still with you. Call them quick if you haven't yet, and tell them how much they mean to you.

Only one MOM....icon7.gificon7.gif

we have 2 units one is 8 gpm and the other is 11gpm so we use alot of water. But like I said the more you rince the better you job will look. Remember down here in Ga. we have red clay on all our concrete.

I'm assuming 5.5gpm Are you doing 3000sq in 45 minutes?!? That is awesome. With 4gpm and a 27in cleaner, I'm at about 1000ft/hr clean and rinse.

Of course every place has it's own twist, but I can usually get about 6000 an hour with the surface cleaner and then depending on what I was washing and the pitch add in the rinse time.

I almost always blow the area first and prespray as well. F-18 from Pressure tek kickks some major butt.

we have 2 units one is 8 gpm and the other is 11gpm so we use alot of water. But like I said the more you rince the better you job will look. Remember down here in Ga. we have red clay on all our concrete.

Well, now you mention the machine size.

Even still, that's 30 minutes or so of rinsing...that's just nuts...Either you're rinsing some HUGE driveways, or you're just wasting water (and time).

I can rinse a typical 2 car-width 2-car-length driveway in about 5 minutes. I can stand there for another 25 mintutes, but it won't look any better.