Sign in to follow this  
RCBill

Honda is tearing me up

Hello

I have a 13hp Honda. Sometimes the damn thing rips the pull cord out of my hand. I don't think this is a design feature. Any suggestions?

Bill

I have 2 13 horse Honda's and they pull start very easily, usually on first pull. As long as your pump doesn't have a load on it (backed up pressure on line) you should not be having such a hard time with this.

Ditto, works like a champ. I have had it jerk once before, but I think that was after a pull w/o choke (no start) and there was fuel in the cylinder waiting for a spark causing a counter rotation.

Open you gun and have water flowing out of the wand before starting.

No nozzle is needed. We use nylon ties to lock the guns open and slide them up when needed to release the trigger.

Insert the nozzle once the machine is running.

Try this and your problems should go away!

Just pull the trigger once to let the pressure out of the line before pull starting.

There is also an easy-start valve that can be bought and installed on the unloader to release the pressure to make starting easier.

Just pull the trigger once to let the pressure out of the line before pull starting.

There is also an easy-start valve that can be bought and installed on the unloader to release the pressure to make starting easier.

tony, is this easy start valve something that can be had at espec or something? I'd like one of those.....sometimes I'll leave the gun on a deck and come around, shut the machine down, mix something or whatever, go to fire it up and have to walk out back, pull the trigger to releive the pressure, walk back around to start her up.....PITA

I've been pulling the trigger when starting, but I may not have been consistent. I guess the ball valve is mtd at the water input?

All that I know of for a supply of parts is Delco. Not that that's bad. I'll go to their on-line catalog for the easy-start valve.

I need to give that counter-rotation some thought. When the problem occurs, it is quick, it does seem that a single explosion pulls the cord out of my hands. I have not be using the choke other than for the initial startup. I don't understand how failing to use it leaves gas in the cylinder. But I have the Owner's Manual in front of me. I give it a good read.

Thanks Men,

Bill

Your problem is valve adjustment in the engine or a stuck compression release on the camshaft. If you're comfortable turning wrenches, remove the valve cover and check the valve clearance at TDC. .006 on intake, .008 on exhaust. If the clearance is right, put your thumb on the exhaust valve rocker arm and slowly pull the engine over. The exhaust valve should move slightly just before TDC. If it doesn't, the compression release on the cam is broken or stuck with debris. Probably best to take this to a shop.

RC, it's just like people said above. I also have a little machine that is a pull start 13 hp. If there is a pressure build up, you will tear your shoulder out. Open the gun and let it flow then start...should zing right up. My machine is already equipped with an EZ-start and this doesn't alleviate the problem only opening the gun does.

Provided it's not something more complicated and out of the ordinary, it's a simple fix. Install a ball valve on the end of the hose and leave it open. As soon as you start the machine, close the ball valve and put the wand or surface cleaner on it and open the valve and you're good to go. Simply close the valve when you want to switch from a wand to a surface cleaner or whatever.

Don, I think that engine would kick back with no water in it at all. Definitely sounds like a compression problem.

RC, try starting it without any hoses on it. Be ready to shut it off if it starts. If it still screws up and it's new, get it fixed for free.

Russ,

I'll do it. I'll run some water through it first just to get the pump wet. If I works 8-10 times without dislocating my fingers, we go to ball valve. Otherwise it's back to the seller.

Thanks all,

Bill

I need to give that counter-rotation some thought. When the problem occurs, it is quick, it does seem that a single explosion pulls the cord out of my hands. I have not be using the choke other than for the initial startup. I don't understand how failing to use it leaves gas in the cylinder. But I have the Owner's Manual in front of me. I give it a good read.

Backfires, counter rotation, and etc are typically a timing problem (valve or spark - see prev post by more knowledgable tech).

The choke only comes into play because it can cause an a fuel-air ratio that prohibits combustion. In the next cycle, the cylinder fires for whatever reason (detonation, etc) out of sequence (pre-compression) and drives it into counter rotation. If it happens on rare ocassion, call it a fluke. If it happens regularly (as you have described), see a small engine mechanic.

FWIW, the GX390 is a great motor. If it is giving you alot of grief, consult a professional.

Well, I started the Honda 6-8 times will supply hose connected, no wand or even hose connected to the output and there wasn't a hint of a yank on the pull-cord. So I'm gonna call it a load problem.

Unless someone tells me otherwise, I will insert a tee in the output with one side going to the wand and the other going to a ball-valve. I'll open the ball-valve to start, closing it after the motor is running.

Thanks again to all,

Bill

Provided it's not something more complicated and out of the ordinary, it's a simple fix. Install a ball valve on the end of the hose and leave it open. As soon as you start the machine, close the ball valve and put the wand or surface cleaner on it and open the valve and you're good to go. Simply close the valve when you want to switch from a wand to a surface cleaner or whatever.

I think there's an echo in here! :lgbounces

Unless someone tells me otherwise, I will insert a tee in the output with one side going to the wand and the other going to a ball-valve. I'll open the ball-valve to start, closing it after the motor is running.

Thanks again to all,

Bill

Put the ballvalve at the end of the hose so you can use it to change to different attachments without having to shutdown and then restart the engine.
I think there's an echo in here! :lgbounces

Echos are good when they get missed the first time.

You know Don, I thought that was what you meant.

So, I have supply hose> fitting> ball-valve> fitting> input to pump. (Man I gotta tell ya, I have all kinds of technical background but I feel like a dumbass.) As I prepare to start the motor, with the supply hose/ball valve connected to the input, I close the ball

I'm gonna just have to work on this with some kind of privacy.

Thank you to all,

Bill

Like I said before, install an easy start valve. My pressure washer supply catalog describes it's ability to eliminate back pressure when pulling a manual start gas engine.

But what do I know, I'm only a power washer......:)

Tony, they don't always work as advertised. One the one manual start machine I have, it came with it from the factory and I still get the backbreaker effect if there is water in a closed output line.