Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Skid or Portable and some growing pains

When I first got into this business several years ago, I did restaurant exhaust cleaning, so I had no choice but to get a hot water skid unit. Some rules changed at my biggest account, so I had to go with an electric unit. Now that contract is up, and I am left with a decision. Liquidate the electric but then what? I am phasing out my commercial flat work too. I have one small portable I bought as a backup and have been using it on all my residential. It has served my needs just fine.

With an eye towards expanding the residential work into two crews, would you buy a gas hot water skid and keep the smaller unit for decks? I am leaning towards a second portable cold water unit because I have found it easier to bring the machine out back with fifty feet of hose(s) as opposed to reeling out 100 feet of supply and then another 200+ ft of output that has to be carefully snaked through landscaping etc. Some other positives of a portable include winter storage, weight/gas savings.

I have always used hot water on concrete. I also like the hot when mixing up chemicals but it hardly seems worth the investment when 90% of my work only requires cold. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I am leaning towards a second portable cold water unit because I have found it easier to bring the machine out back with fifty feet of hose(s) as opposed to reeling out 100 feet of supply and then another 200+ ft of output that has to be carefully snaked through landscaping etc.

I'm a cold water guy with a portable. After 1/2 a season of pulling, I bolted it to the trailer and just spool out hose. FWIW, I park on the road and typically pull 100+ft of supply and 250ft of HP hose. In the long run, I find it easier than load, unload. And you will find places that you cannot take the portable for various reasons. So, you'll be carrying a long hose and snaking it some anyway.

I use portables on all residential work. Just works better for me.

FWIW..... I always keep extra equipment as spares, the resale of used equipment is often so poor it's not worth selling.