Sign in to follow this  
Tronman

$7,000 Budget for new equipment

Question

I just returned my Briggs and Stratton to Sears due to a broken frame (4.5 mo. old), so I am starting off from scratch again except fo rmy M5 X-Jet. I need some feedback on what to buy. If you were going after 1-2 story home roofs, siding and concrete as well as commercial buildings what type of equipment would you start with. I really only want to spend about $7,000 on a trailer and a good heated system with a large water tank. ANy other recomendations for add-ons is appreciated (like compressor, shuflo, generator, etc) I will also be buying a van to haul it all with. I have quotes from Northern and Silver Eagle Mfg. for some rigs.

I have a lot of advertising hitting tomorrow so I need to act rather quickly.

Thanks in advance.

15 answers to this question

One thing to consider is purchasing a back up cold water unit. I bought 2 machines when I started out and have never regretted it. It would only cost approximately $1000 to get a good back up unit but when the main one quits and you can't get parts or get it fixed because it's late afternoon on Friday, it will be money well spent. You could even buy a good used one if you shop around.

Larry is offering some great advise with the back-up unit purchase. Both trailers I have are equiped with 5.6 gpm main machines and a 4 gpm backup machine, I had a coil rupture 70 miles from home nd the back-up machine saved my butt.

If you were closer, I am getting rid of a dual axle 2004 16 foot open trailer. It might be a bit large for you.

I am getting a 4GPM, 3400PSI, 11HP cold water Briggs and Stratten for $800.

So far I have looked at Delco, American Eagle, Ramteq, Northern, and E-Bay. I know what it should look like but I don't know if the brands they are putting together are the best. Each one says that thier stuff is th ebest and they can all give great examples. It's like visiting 5 different denominational churches to decide which one is the best. In the end any one will probably do, and there will be some custom tailoring after the fact. They each will probably get you to the finish line.

And, since I have not decided on oen type of work exclusively it is really hard to buy the right equipment. It's like saying you want a gun that will kill both elephants and squirls. You could wind up getting stepped on by the ticked off elephant or be taking home a few squirrel hairs for dinner.

I want to warn you in case you are going to get a direct drive machine. You said something about tanks. If you are going to pull from a tank do not go with the direct drive. They can work but too many hassles. Go with a belt drive.

Remember this when it comes to pressure washers. When chosing a cold water machine there are only 3 real components. The engine, pump, and the unloader. The different manufacturers just put them on different frames. If company A uses a 13 hp Honda engine, General TS 2021 pump, and a K7 unloader and company B uses the exact same. What is the difference? Hot water machines will be different but cold water are close to the same. I would probably bet that the 4 GPM is really 3.6 to 3.8. They like to round up.

I have 2 direct drives on my trailer pulling form a 535 gal. tank. I understand the idea that belt drives suck better but I have had no trouble with my setup.

Being an old squirrel hunter (back in my youth) remember this, it takes a lot of squirrel to make a mess.

With power washers, a hot water unit can operate as a cold water unit anytime. But when you need it (concrete, gum, grease, oil) it can and will decrease your clean time by having hot water. I to have a direct drive unit and have had no problems with it. Granted I don't have it hooked to a tank but I still have had no problems with my direct drive. When I upgrade my equipment later this season I'll probably get another direct drive, but it will be another Hot/Cold machine I do know that.

Hey TRon, check out my website @www.excaliburpw.com to see pics of rig I just built. If you get in a bind, give me a call and I might be able to help you out. I live in Crosby, just outside of Houston. Tom

actually there is another guy that has one for even less. I am not comparing the rigs quality I just remember the price was for a hot water, 5.6 gpm machine with trailer, something like 50 hours on it, $4500

Hey TRon, check out my website @www.excaliburpw.com to see pics of rig I just built. If you get in a bind, give me a call and I might be able to help you out. I live in Crosby, just outside of Houston. Tom

Nice rig!

What did it set you back to make that?

Nice rig!

What did it set you back to make that?

Got about 18k into it, counting a 4gpm belt drive backup, a big boy, a shurflo wagon and all my tips , wands everything to get going, (the rig itself- about 15k ) plus a month of fab. adding a 42" x 112" sign on street side and a small sign on the rear tail-gate ramp that I still have to build. I need to get some work though.