Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Algae on PT deck

Question

14 answers to this question

Here's a PT lumber deck with redwood rail caps. It was covered with algae, and had a brown stain. We stripped it with HD-80 at 3.5 oz per gallon, and neutralized with Citralic.

Beth

Hi Beth,

Looks nice. Do you take any precautions to prevent getting HD-80 on the house? Or is it ok?

Thanks,

Mike

This was vinyl, it was fine. We do wet things down tho...

Beth

Thanks Beth. Novice question here... do you apply HD-80 to entire floor at once or do you work in sections?

Thanks,

Mike

Rails first, floor last. Start outside on the rails, then do the inside rails, then the floor. For this deck we did all of it at the same time, let dwell, then washed it. Apply the neutralizer, let dwell, rinse (not wash), rinse, rinse...roll hoses and off you go.

If you ever needhelp in the field, feel free to call. Glad to help. We do quite a bit of deck stripping work.

Beth

Rails first, floor last. Start outside on the rails, then do the inside rails, then the floor. For this deck we did all of it at the same time, let dwell, then washed it. Apply the neutralizer, let dwell, rinse (not wash), rinse, rinse...roll hoses and off you go.

If you ever needhelp in the field, feel free to call. Glad to help. We do quite a bit of deck stripping work.

Beth

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the explanation of the process. I'll defenitely call if I need help.

Thanks!

Mike

Nice work Beth, would you by any chance have a picture of this deck when dried? All mine look like this when they are wet but after they dry the color is not as nice.

We will get our dry shots the day we go out to seal. We have years of expereince with HD-80, and Rod knows by sight how much to use. He does test occasionally, but not often, and these days only if he is faced with such a heavy buildup of various gunk that he has to guage his time as much as his strength.

Beth :cup: :groovy2:

B & R:

That looks great. What type of stain/sealer do you use? I notice it's "very shiney" (sp?) does it dry that way also? I love seeing your pictures, always so professional and also always great advise for us novices.

denny

Hi Denny,

We have not sealed it yet. The wood is just wet in the above photos. This deck was abused by the prior company that serviced it, and the next step is actually to fully sand the horizontals. The deck is PT lumber, except the rail caps which are Redwood. The owner wants to see the beauty of the wood as it was when built. We also have some repair work to do on the staircase. I'll post photos of the next steps when we go back to do that work.

Beth

when you say applied citric, rinsed , not washed. i take it that is rinsing at a lower pressure?? also, when prepping a grey, never sealed deck, do you use a brush to loosen the dead wood fibers or just water pressure

The citralic is a blend of oxylic and citric, you apply it, let dwell, and rinse. We use the black soap tip for that. The purpose of the Citralic is to neutralize the stripper. Since you washed after you applied the stripper, you simply rinse the neutralizer off whenit is finished doing it's job. Do not leave it on the wood. Rinse thoroughly.

Beth