Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Smoking Ban

Question

There has recently been alot of talks about smoking bans here in Indiana. I'm a non smoker that feels everyone should have the right to smoke if they choose, but doesnt everyone else have the right to eat and not breathe in the second hand smoke? The recent death of Peter Jennings has really put this on the front burner here locally, how do you feel about it?

61 answers to this question

If I found it enjoyable for me to wear a 7 day old rotting catfish around my neck and old ground beef in my pockets, would you want me sitting next you you while your eating dinner or watching a football game?

p.s. I dont really wear a catfish around my neck and stuff ground beef in my pockets, but just humor me :D

If you did, and the restaurant owner didn't mind you doing that, I'd simply move tables, or leave.

I don't even mind non-smoking restaurants, I don't typically smoke when I eat. I don't smoke indoors at home, and I don't smoke in the truck with the windows up. I don't like smelling like stale smoke, and I don't want to have to smell someone else's smoke while I'm eating with my family. I agree, it should be up to the business owner, not the government.

If you did, and the restaurant owner didn't mind you doing that, I'd simply move tables, or leave.

I don't even mind non-smoking restaurants, I don't typically smoke when I eat. I don't smoke indoors at home, and I don't smoke in the truck with the windows up. I don't like smelling like stale smoke, and I don't want to have to smell someone else's smoke while I'm eating with my family. I agree, it should be up to the business owner, not the government.

I agree with you, unfortunately the business owner will never make the choice to ban smoking because it will hurt his or her bottem line, money before health I guess.

The part about the fish was a little extreme I guess, I did say at the beginning I think people should have the right to smoke if they choose, its just the handful of people out there that dont respect others around them that give other smokers a bad name. I guess you can say that about any group of people really. I think if the public had a little more respect for things around them the govt. would have never felt like thay had to step in.

It all comes down to common courtesy, something that folks don't adhere to much anymore....you know that old "Golden Rule" thing. Like I said before, why not just get a decent filtration system, put the smokers in another section and keep everyone happy and the non-smokers healthy. You'd think the government would be more concerned about air quality as a whole OUTSIDE, where no one has a choice but to breathe. I just love driving toward a big city and seeing the yellow cloud hovering over it. Makes me want to carry my scuba tank everywhere.

Sorry for a long chat on the stump, I am done.

I am the KING of long chats on the stump. lol

Cell phones, mark my word here on them, when CA bans them or says you cannot talk holding one while driving I will be first in line to start a class action lawsuit for discrimination against the hard of hearing (hearing impaired, and I hate it said that way).

I have tried the thingy in the ear and it is worthless for me, I have tried the little mike on the visor and it is worthless for me and I have written many letters to our state Reps telling them that and to invite me up to the Capitol to speak and demo what it is like being mostly deaf and how those things are worthless.

Twice they did not pass the law, I take NO credit for it but feel myself and others who wrote letters for us deafies made a point.

Seems to me that the only reason that you are against it is because the law should not apply to you being hearing impaired. You forget that when you open the flood gates by banning cell phones in cars, they will go after other things like drinks (first no cup holders in cars - just like a lot of cars don't have lighters and some don't have ash trays at the govts request). Once you start banning things, there is NO stopping it. I was rear ended once because the guy behind me dropped his cigar and it wasn't even lit!!! When I was a teenager, I dropped a piece of candy between my seats and ran off the road popping 2 tires... $hit happens - you can't ban everything - that just turns law abiding citizens into criminals.

The picture is a typical liberals perception of the ideal American Future. The liberal is the one on the outside. He has a doctors note and he's hearing impaired so he doesn't have to wear the suit... lol

post-864-137772145535_thumb.jpg

The local Wal Mart has banned smoking on their property. This applies to Customers and employees.

I do think it a wise business decision. I just don't believe it to be the legitimate purpose of government.

Take the guys in the bar, I am a non smoker, I am a gun owner too but would never resort to such a thing

Are you sure you wouldn't? What's the difference between you pulling your gun and having someone else do it for you? Passing a law is doing just that. Forcing someone to comply at the risk of death if they do not.

Sound extreme? Go light up at the local gov't building. Very quickly, a large man armed with a gun will come and inform you that it is a non-smoking area. Now, openly a defiantly refuse to comply. Light another. See what happens...

That's funny about WalMart because whenever I am in the lot I see at least five people power dragging on their way to the door. If you go around back there are vast fields of half smoke butts laying around.

I smoke, I like, it, no intention of quitting real soon. Does that give me the right to infringe on the fresh air of others? ..of course not. Does this mean the governement should control legal activities in my establishment? .. no freakin way..

Every day laws are passed and meaningless issues argued. Sadly, most of those laws and discussions involve petty issues and only serve to detract the american people away from the real things that are drastically wrong. Moreso sad is the fact that many of the laws take away another freedom of the person whom really pays to support this country..the middle class.

That Brit thing is not new but only for the vehicle license plate.

I can speak for CA but not all states, the back of your drivers license has a magnetic stripe, they tell you all it has is what is in front, that is a lie, it has your life history, medical record, criminal record (if you have one) and much more.

How to erase it, strong magnet run across it several times, scratch it too then forget about it.

All vehicles have the little black box gizmo, it records speed, how long at any given speed, how long and hard you applied the brakes and much more, big brother has been spying on you for many years.

Here in CA the courts allow that box to be used by insurance companies and police departments to prove you were speeding or if you failed to stop and more.

There was a suit about that too, someone claimed that when they buy a car that spy box becomes theirs and no one has a right to remove it, he lost.

As far as me ever pointing one of my guns at someone, never happen UNLESS I plan to shoot the person, like when hunting, you don't point till your ready to shoot, at least that is how my Uncle taught me to duck hunt.

Seperate the smokers from non smokers in restaurants, yeah right I can see my wife stuck in he smokers area and I in he non-smoking area, HEY HONEY IS YOUR STEAK DONE ENOUGH FOR YOU? wife, NO IT IS OVER DONE, waiter hurrys over to ask her to stop yelling at me, hey waiter leave my wife alone or I will blow your manhood right out from between your legs.

Never happen, every once in awhile she will sit in non-smoking section to make me happy. She never smokes while I am eating, always waits till I am done. Not suppose to smoke in house but I know she has a few times when I am not home. SNIFF SNIFF, hmm, tabacco smell.

Dave Meiers says

I am the KING of long chats on the stump.
. then this post proves you can say very little while on the stump!!!!

To all, I am aware many people enjoy smoking, but deep down they wise they could stop knowing the harm it does.

Now several say it is not easy to stop smoking, I beg to differ, I know people that stopped cold turkey and never went back to it. Or if your doctor says stop or die what would you do, just smoke til you die or stop?

Dave Meiers says

Seems to me that the only reason that you are against it is because the law should not apply to you being hearing impaired

Not true at all but I would say I could prove the laws banning holding cell phones are discrimatory, check the laws and you will find police and other emergency personal are exempt yet they don't use cell phones to call in if it is an emergency, they use the two way radio in the car, fire truck or what ever vehicle they are driving. Cops for that matter break more laws then you might think. Their families get a plolite warning, not a ticket.

Now my attitude about big brother having to much control, damn right they do and it is time for us to push back and demand our freedom.

Ahhhhhhh I said I would not step up and talk this long.

That Brit thing is not new but only for the vehicle license plate.

I can speak for CA but not all states, the back of your drivers license has a magnetic stripe, they tell you all it has is what is in front, that is a lie, it has your life history, medical record, criminal record (if you have one) and much more.

My life history? How'd they get all that information? Does my doctor report to the department of drivers licenses every time I come in for a check up? :rolleyes:

All vehicles have the little black box gizmo, it records speed, how long at any given speed, how long and hard you applied the brakes and much more, big brother has been spying on you for many years.

Here in CA the courts allow that box to be used by insurance companies and police departments to prove you were speeding or if you failed to stop and more.

Do you have a link to maybe an online article about such a thing? I might believe the car's computer can track these things, but I've never heard of a cop plugging into it and downloading your speed records...Or an insurance company for that matter.

To all, I am aware many people enjoy smoking, but deep down they wise they could stop knowing the harm it does.

Now several say it is not easy to stop smoking, I beg to differ, I know people that stopped cold turkey and never went back to it. Or if your doctor says stop or die what would you do, just smoke til you die or stop?

Yes, a person can do just about anything they set their mind to do. Does that make it EASY? Hell no. Until you've been where I'm at, you can beg to differ all you want, you're still dead wrong. Yes, folks have quit cold turkey. Was it easy? I doubt it, for most of them. And yes, some people DO keep smoking regardless of what the doc says.

Now several say it is not easy to stop smoking, I beg to differ, I know people that stopped cold turkey and never went back to it.

Anyone who quit and said that quittig cold turkey was easy was not a smoker. They were just a holder. Quitting smoking is one of the most difficult things I have ever done. Skydiving, bungee jumping, easy. Make a decision and do it (or don't). With quitting smoking you stand at that high ledge re-evaluating that decision hundreds of times a day. And that decision continues to rear it's ugly head for the rest of yor life. Every time you open a beer. Every time a friend fires up. Every time you pass the smoking section in an airport, restraunt, stadium.

It gets less and less frequent as the years pass, but it never goes away...

Or if your doctor says stop or die what would you do, just smoke til you die or stop?

Many people do just that. Smoke till it kills 'em. People on oxygen (usually from smoking) frequently set themselves afire from smoking in a high O2 environment. 1 ,2, 3 hearts attacks and still smoking.

The fact people have potentially deadly diseases, have been told by their doctor that it is the result of smoking and will kill them, and still continue smoking should tell you something about the power of the smoking addiction.

It's far more than the nicotine alone. Smoking is a chemial addiction, with a physical component (hands) and oral pacifier. It also has a social component, offers the relaxation of deep breathing, requires periodic breaks from ones daily grind. It quells the appetite, encourages weight loss, and acts as a quick pick me up. Finally, being a smoker is like owning a Harley. You can find another smoker in any country on the planet and they will share their smokes, their matches, and their company as if they knew you...

Support anyone who choses to quit. It's a very hard thing to do.

It's far more than the nicotine alone. Smoking is a chemial addiction, with a physical component (hands) and oral pacifier. It also has a social component, offers the relaxation of deep breathing, requires periodic breaks from ones daily grind. It quells the appetite, encourages weight loss, and acts as a quick pick me up. Finally, being a smoker is like owning a Harley. You can find another smoker in any country on the planet and they will share their smokes, their matches, and their company as if they knew you...

Support anyone who choses to quit. It's a very hard thing to do.

Best description Ive heard. My mom quite cold turkey after 30 yrs but stills wants a smoke with me once in a while after not smoking for 10 years. This addiction is unbelievably strong... It's a mind over matter thing though. I quit for 6 months once and noticed that if you can just hold out for 30 seconds, the craving will go away. Yet to return again in an hour or so (even after the 3rd month). I was pretty good after 6 months but broke up w/ my girlfriend, got drunk, bought a pack, etc, etc, etc,..

Don't I know. I've quit before, once for about 8 months, and the other for almost 2 years. Both times I started back, not by some stressful event in my life, but merely by thinking I could smoke one every once in a while. That doesn't seem to work to well for me. This time I will know better than to think I can sneak one hear and there. I'm going to check back in a week for an update in my life extending event.

Don't I know. I've quit before, once for about 8 months, and the other for almost 2 years. Both times I started back, not by some stressful event in my life, but merely by thinking I could smoke one every once in a while. That doesn't seem to work to well for me. This time I will know better than to think I can sneak one hear and there. I'm going to check back in a week for an update in my life extending event.

It doesn't work well for just about anyone...ONE hit of nicotine into your system awakes that nasty beast.

I think I'll go light up and take a drag just to see what it is all about!

No wait back when I was a teenager in High School and College I did a few of those sweet smelling weeds but never got carried away with them.

Where is that small sip of wine I poured to help me sleep better? Yes I sip wine but not often.

As for all of you don't think I want to regulate your life as I don't, as for being a liberal or conservative forget it, I walk a thin line between them.

I see things and say things as I see them, not to please anyone else or upset others but because it is how I see it.

I think a few of you have taken what I said personally and if so that is not how I am nor what I am about.

In one of my post I believe I said live and let live and by that I mean you do what you want, when you want and how you want to do it but don't put others in danger doing it.

Do crack, shot H into your body, tote a joint, drink a 5th if you want that is fine with me but just don't put others at risk doing it.

Or put another way don't get plastered then drive home or to work or anyplace. Don't get high then take a drive.

Your body, your life so enjoy it as you see fit.

Last thing I will say here and that is I don't hate anyone so let's not make this a personal thing. We all are saying what is our opinion and I accept all of your opinions as that, nothing personal about it.

Hand extended in a friendship shake.

I quit smoking today:banana:

Way to go!:lgkick: As a reformed 3-4 pack a day guy, I'd like to tell you that you can do it. I used to smoke before I got out of bed, and in the shower, all day at work, all night before (and then in) bed until I decided to go to sleep.

Started at fifteen, my mom would bring my dad and I our cartons with every grocery trip. Started On Cowboy Killers in the box, was smoking Camel straits (4 packs a day) by 21, finished on about 2 &1/2 packs of Marlboro Lights a day.

I was in a hospital for something unrelated for a few days, and figured I'd try to stay quit after that. There were some tough days there, and once in a while I am still tempted, butit will soon be two years, and I REALLY don't miss it.

You can stay quit, just don't take the first drag.

I'm serious, call me instead of smoking, if you think it might help, I'm all sympathy to new ex-smokers.:)

Way to go!:lgkick: As a reformed 3-4 pack a day guy, I'd like to tell you that you can do it. I used to smoke before I got out of bed, and in the shower, all day at work, all night before (and then in) bed until I decided to go to sleep.

Started at fifteen, my mom would bring my dad and I our cartons with every grocery trip. Started On Cowboy Killers in the box, was smoking Camel straits (4 packs a day) by 21, finished on about 2 &1/2 packs of Marlboro Lights a day.

I was in a hospital for something unrelated for a few days, and figured I'd try to stay quit after that. There were some tough days there, and once in a while I am still tempted, butit will soon be two years, and I REALLY don't miss it.

You can stay quit, just don't take the first drag.

I'm serious, call me instead of smoking, if you think it might help, I'm all sympathy to new ex-smokers.:)

Thanks, any inspirational words are helpful. I'm pretty excited, 2nd day with no problems what so ever. I'm eating a lot more, but that's a bonus, I could stand to gain some weight, which is extremely difficlut for me. My lungs already feel better, and food and drink already taste better. Any other smokers want to join the quiting party, jump on board!

Any other smokers want to join the quiting party, jump on board!

You're on. My Birthday is the 14th, and I was thinking today of giving myself a present. I've tried to quit for my wife, was going to quit for the baby the weekend we brought him home, etc etc...but I realized it is something I have to do for me. That'll be a nice couple of days of no smoking to get me jump started into it. I rarely smoke on the weekends anyways....

Consider me your accountability partner, and I'll do likewise.