Sign in to follow this  
troyt

Deck Spindles

Question

19 answers to this question

Is there a lot of waste in overspray, or is there a big enough time savings it doesn't make that much of a difference? Thanks.

There can be a lot of waste if your tip is too big, but using the right small T-Jet tip for spindles is the way to go.I'm using a shurflo set up with a Spray Systems Inc. wand.Now the overspray that gets on the deck floor can just be padded in can help make your first coat.

Ken,

Why do you mask the floor? Will the stain not blend in on the floor?

Hey Shane,

I have had some issues with products flash drying. Also considering this year my demographic switched to the uber properties along this huge resevoir ($2-$10 million). I don't think anyone in this area has less than 1400 sf. On these I like to do all the rails first. With the temps and all of these decks getting sun all day I have been splitting rails and floor into two days. Sometimes what comes off the rails is a drip and that is hard to blend if you are using a lighter tone. Also I have had just enough overspray hit the floor (and dry) to make a resistant bond on the surface with not enough pigment. When you try to go over it, you more than likely end up with shiny spots.

Troy, once you spray a rail you will kick yourself for ever brushing or ragging. Your technique will get better and like Shane said, the right tips also make a difference.

Ken,

I understand what you mean with the heat and stain flashing it's a pain to stain a deck in the heat of the day.WOW those are some monster decks and i don't blame you for breaking the rails and floors into 2 days.Trying to stain in the heat of the day can sometimes waste a lot of stain with it drying to fast.You can spray 3 or 4 coats and looked like you only sprayed 1 coat.

Those 2-10 mill. mansions must look pretty :cool:

What shurflo should I be looking for? What are their limitations on what can be pump through them? Now you have me excited, lol. More equipment, I love it.

What is the best way to put stain on the spindles of a deck, any quick tricks to this process?

I shurflo most, but if they cant be sprayed for whatever reason, the stain paddles are fantastic !!!!!!!

What is the best all around pump, looks like a lot of you are using the 1.8gpm @ 60 psi. Also, can ox acid also be pumped with the shurflo? What does small T mean with a jet tip? And one last quesiton, should I go with more braided hose or a mobile truck to haul the pump and fluids around with a shorter hose to the wand from the pump?

What is the best all around pump, looks like a lot of you are using the 1.8gpm @ 60 psi. Also, can ox acid also be pumped with the shurflo? What does small T mean with a jet tip? And one last quesiton, should I go with more braided hose or a mobile truck to haul the pump and fluids around with a shorter hose to the wand from the pump?

Troy,

1.8 60psi has been the only pump i've used for chems and staining semi trans oil base stain.You won't have any problems spaying stripper,oxalic or bleach with this pump.Just be sure you run fresh water/soap thru the pump to clean them.Keep all your conectors oiled up they will corrode real fast.Spend the extra $$ and use stainless QD's for chems especially.

"Teejet" is the name of the tip.

I use braided hoses only ...:cool:

we have 2 shurflos, a 1.0 @ 60 and a 1.2 @ 60, both work fine and both are mounted on carts...both use 50 feet of braided hose and I think are rated at 300psi.....Ive tinkered with the setups and probably have some unnessesary things attached, but I like having them there, (ball valves on the hose ends, plugs and QC's all over the place, switches and fuses in the electrical circuits) and like Shane responded, just clean them out when done and they work fine.......I also replaced the standard o-rings in the QC's with viton o-rings, since I had a bag of them and too much time on my hands one day... :cool:

Too funny tropical..

I just figured out the t-jet name today, lol. I saw the packaging, yellow with TeeJet. Now what degree tip are you using, I see a lot of 80 and 73 degree, but the only place I am finding them are at Runnings Fleet Farm, are there other degree tips?

Also, now that I am looking at the shurflo, I have noticed some choices, do I want on demand? or just by pass. I also find one that has an on/off switch mounted on the pump itself, with an adjustible pressure switch which shuts the pump off once it reaches pressure. Help me make a decison, what would you go with, or what do you have. Thanks.

Too funny tropical..

I just figured out the t-jet name today, lol. I saw the packaging, yellow with TeeJet. Now what degree tip are you using, I see a lot of 80 and 73 degree, but the only place I am finding them are at Runnings Fleet Farm, are there other degree tips?

Troyt, for chem spraying I usually use a plastic chem wand and gun made by t-jet, which has an adjustable cone tip..... for spraying sealer I use the pressure adjustable trigger gun from sunbrite supply....the gun has a pressure wheel which reduces the pressure and volume of the spray....this also uses an adjustable cone spray tip.....we have a couple of the fan tips, which Ive tried but prefer the cone spray better....80 degree pattern is wide and good for spraying lawns etc...not pin point control...

I dont know what the price is for the pump with a switch already mounted, but they are really easy to install yourself....from the battery the negative black wire gets wired direct and the red positive gets placed between the battery and the pump....simple

we have the pumps with the adjustable pressure switch ,I think the bypass models are more expensive too, it pretty much comes down to what you want.... I spent the xtra 20 bucks and got the "all viton" seals pump....

hope this helps, Mike

we use 3/8....... :) but I would listen to Shane, because he's the man :cool:

Aww Mike.......:beerchug:

I like 1/4 hose cause it's lighter carrying it around and doesn't weigh down my wand when i'm spraying. :cool:

Aww Mike.......:beerchug:

I like 1/4 hose cause it's lighter carrying it around and doesn't weigh down my wand when i'm spraying. :cool:

I like the 3/8 because its heavier so it makes me work, reminds me to stop enjoying this sooooo much..... LOL :)