Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

The X-Jet debate

What method of chemical application do you prefer for housewashing?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. What method of chemical application do you prefer for housewashing?

• X-Jet
    • Downstreamer
    • Roller pump, ShurFlo etc

I used an xjet the 1st 5 years and switched to down streaming this past year wondering why I waited so long. I down streamed the entire year and didn't miss the bucket at all. So why did I switch back to the xjet last month? I was using more 12.5% bleach per week. My ratio xjetting was 2 gallons bleach and 3 gallons water. Down streaming was reversed, 3 gallons bleach with 2 gallons water.It was taking more chemicals per house using .0040 tip, even though I love using this tip especially on windy days.

So get an adjustable downstreamer, or cut your wash mix with water.

I also noticed that when down streaming my rinsing was not completely free of soap out of the line. This was noticed primarily when rinsing the windows.

I'd play around with the orifice sizes in your downstreamer, or try a slightly smaller tip. Even a size 15 or 20 tip will give you low enough pressure for rinsing but should close the downstreamer.

The last reason is, I purchased a new titan reel at the begiining of the year (which I hate ) and the bleach running through the house reel rusted out the center bar creating a pin hole leak.My supply house replaced the bar for free.My last reel lasted 5 years using the xjet but it also wasnt a titan. So long story short.. Xjet uses less chemicals for me , Quality of rinse is better due to no soap in the hose,Less wear on the equipment with bleach being a corrisive.

Place your downstreamer on the downstream side of the hose reel, maybe even use a small (2-3') section of hose between the two. That should keep the chlorine out of the hose reel.

I used an xjet the 1st 5 years and switched to down streaming this past year wondering why I waited so long. I down streamed the entire year and didn't miss the bucket at all. So why did I switch back to the xjet last month? I was using more 12.5% bleach per week. My ratio xjetting was 2 gallons bleach and 3 gallons water. Down streaming was reversed, 3 gallons bleach with 2 gallons water.It was taking more chemicals per house using .0040 tip, even though I love using this tip especially on windy days. I also noticed that when down streaming my rinsing was not completely free of soap out of the line. This was noticed primarily when rinsing the windows. The last reason is, I purchased a new titan reel at the begiining of the year (which I hate ) and the bleach running through the house reel rusted out the center bar creating a pin hole leak.My supply house replaced the bar for free.My last reel lasted 5 years using the xjet but it also wasnt a titan. So long story short.. Xjet uses less chemicals for me , Quality of rinse is better due to no soap in the hose,Less wear on the equipment with bleach being a corrisive.

I could burn through a hose reel every year, and use twice the chem, and still make more money per job downstreaming then I ever would x-jetting.

i like proportioners. but, somehow i have lost my favorite ones. i know alot of you guys don't like 'em, have 'em, and don't use 'em. if you want to get rid of yours then i would like to have them. i will gladly refund your shipping expenses and if you want a nominal fee for them then we can discuss that too. if you can help then please send me a pm and we will work out the details.

thanks in advance,

rando

I've made quite a few tools for downstreaming and for downstreaming at the gun and they all have their place on some jobs and they all work fairly well but not nearly as good as a real x jet.

For example, were in the process of finishing up 11 buildings this week and were downstreaming those with some homemade tips. Then I'm going to VA Beach to do some other buildings with my home made downstreamer and a bunch of shopping centers, then I'm going to frederick for two more buildings when I get back, then I go to the Georgia RT for a few days off. Then I start a complex in Laurel of 40 buildings using a foamer I made.

Most of these buildings are small so I don't have to shoot more than 40' up at the most.

I've made quite a few tools for downstreaming and for downstreaming at the gun and they all have their place on some jobs and they all work fairly well but not nearly as good as a real x jet.

For example, were in the process of finishing up 11 buildings this week and were downstreaming those with some homemade tips. Then I'm going to VA Beach to do some other buildings with my home made downstreamer and a bunch of shopping centers, then I'm going to frederick for two more buildings when I get back, then I go to the Georgia RT for a few days off. Then I start a complex in Laurel of 40 buildings using a foamer I made.

Most of these buildings are small so I don't have to shoot more than 40' up at the most.

I am pretty sure I get about 30' tops with my adjustable tip xjet, are you using the non adjustable?

I really need to get my Ds'er unclogged/working again so I can have both options at all times..

Amazing how this thread (and many of us participants) have evolved. It was interesting reading the guys clinging to their X-Jets and talking about downstreaming like it was Satan coming to collect their firstborn. Then two weeks to a month later hearing them rave how much faster and more effective downstreaming is. I don't know anyone (other than Adrian and jeff L) that still use an X-Jet. is anyone still clinging on for dear life to their M-5?

I'm still clining to mine. I may delve into downstreaming eventually just to see what all the fuss is about. The bucket is a pain in the ass compared to not carrying a bucket but other than that the Xjet M5 rocks.

Other than not carrying the bucket around downstreaming doesn't sound like much of a picnic to me compared to the ease of use with Xjet M5.

Twist my arm if you will.

Amazing how this thread (and many of us participants) have evolved. It was interesting reading the guys clinging to their X-Jets and talking about downstreaming like it was Satan coming to collect their firstborn. Then two weeks to a month later hearing them rave how much faster and more effective downstreaming is. I don't know anyone (other than Adrian and jeff L) that still use an X-Jet. is anyone still clinging on for dear life to their M-5?

Wow, talk about being dragged back into the xjet debate.

I actually have a DS setup for my other pw rig ( which I rarely ever use anymore) with a 30 gal tank to draw from.

I just don't have enough "trailer" to run both units and have an additional tank as well.

What gets me is how so many that use the xjet still "carry" the 5 gal totes. I have 2 hand truck steups that are bundgied. I throw the chems through a trigger gun with no lance attached. I have longer lances if I need them. Mostly the trigger gun is used. The hand trucks make it a bit easier for me.

I favor the DS when I have cleaned fleets and rental cars.

I still however feel the backpack with chems is far right on the "bad scale". But that is just me.

But yes Ken, I am clinging to my xjet for life. FOR LIFE MAN.

For me the xjet takes up less space than adding the tank.

I love my XJET

I love my Deckster

I love Cindy Crawford

X jet M5 is our choice. Powerline Industries is creating a backpack devise to attach your XJet, so there is no bucket to move around. Ask for J.D.

Steve, welcome to TGS. Please go to "my controls" and complete your signature line next time you return.

We use the m5 and use a back pack sprayer modified to hold our cleaning solution. Never had a problem with spills or not priming only a short hose from the backpack sprayer to the tip.

****, Welcome to TGS. Please go to "my controls" and complete your sinature line next time you return.

Downstreaming all of my house wash chemicals, but still clinging to the M-5 for rinsing. On my J-rod 4way holder, I have My M-5 for rinsing, 00-40 for high soaping, 15-40 for low soaping and 15/40 for mid range soaping. With the M-5 with me at all times, it makes it easy to hit concrete walks or drives with a shot of OX for brightening or some HD-80 for a quick deck clean.

I'm still clining to mine. I may delve into downstreaming eventually just to see what all the fuss is about. The bucket is a pain in the ass compared to not carrying a bucket but other than that the Xjet M5 rocks.

Other than not carrying the bucket around downstreaming doesn't sound like much of a picnic to me compared to the ease of use with Xjet M5.

Twist my arm if you will.

Well, nobody here twisted my arm but I finally got around to trying out downstreaming back in September. All I do is house washing and after switching from X-Jetting to downstreaming I have to say I much prefer downstreaming.

Obviously not having to carry the soap bucket is a plus but I'm finding the downstream method to have a more efficient spray for both soaping and rinsing. I had planned to keep on using my X-Jet for rinsing but I like the high and low rinse nozzles in my J Rod 4 way nozzle holder better than the X-Jet.

I wonder what the X-Jet vs. Downstreaming poll results would look like if a brand new poll was taken today. I bet a lot of people have switched over to downstreaming from X-Jet.

I still have my X-Jet for backup but don't plan to use it unless I have to.

Not trying to sound rude at all, but, that just won't work.

It's either one or the other. The 2 won't work in sync if that is what you are saying.

A veritable walk down memory lane, posts since '05 and it's going to be '10 next year - damn how time flies. Seems that the longer I am in this business - the less and less interested I am in the technical/hardware aspect of things. Heck seems like my 20hp 5.5gpm pressure-pro machine is small potatoes compared to what everyone else is using these days, but compared to what folks were posting in those '04 and '05 posts - that would have been a big machine.

Anyways - never felt like spending the money for an x-jet, even though it may have some application sometimes, like an easy stain strip - though far and few now a days. The Downstreamer has been fine for my house washing needs.

The more I downstream the more I like it! I did a hospital this past Monday & Tuesday and the workload was definitely easier not having to muscle the soap cart around and fuss with the extra soap hose.

There's no way I'd go back to using the X-Jet M-5.

I started DS'ing earlier this year. Still have my x-jet and it has its uses but most of the time I DS chems unless I need something really strong. Much easier than hauling the chem container around, no extra hose tangle.

I have two soft wash chemical sprayers the use a hypro 4 roller pumps. They are connected to 35 gallon tanks and outflow through normal household 3/8 inch hoses. No bleach goes through my PW and I can stand on the ground and SOAK 3 stories high with a normal 5 position sprayer. Downside is that I have another engine to maintain and a tank to clean out. Also have to be careful not to run tank dry as that will ruin a pump in a hurry.

Oh great goodness folks I have been washing houses trucks and every thing in between for over 30 years now and I can truly see why so many people go out of business. First of all you need no real pressure to wash common dirt etc. off most anything 2nd what are we cleaning with??... water yes. Now use lots of it an not only can you cover fast but rinsing is faster. Do not worry about how much chem cost it is cheap so use it, but learn how to not make it to strong. I can get three differant chems out of the wand seperatly without ever walking back to the unit or together at the same time from 200ft with no bucket or back pack useing a 3/8 100r1 hose. I have a stanless steel injector an they do have a much needed place in the cleaning profession, but not as a rule in most house washes bank on that. Why carry soap in a bucket arround with you. LoL its like draging out a ax to cut down a tree when a chain saw works better yea they both work I will use the saw. If anyone has any questions as to how this is done come to visit beautiful North Carolina sometime we will have a beer an I will show ya how to really get er done Old fart singing out and standing by Sir, Tom of Millingport A Grime Fighter @yahoo.com