Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

The X-Jet debate

What method of chemical application do you prefer for housewashing?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. What method of chemical application do you prefer for housewashing?

• X-Jet
    • Downstreamer
    • Roller pump, ShurFlo etc

Once we got the "mix" from the x-jet out of the way and got the downstreaming mix right (only one try:)), we fly through housewashing with no extra hose, no buckets to spill. For new brick however, we'd never try it without our x-jet :)

I like useing my flojet to apply soap but I do use the x-jet. I use both of them on most jobs. Whatever seems to be the best you can bet thats what I will be useing!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is my take as it relates to housewashing:

X-Jet (positive)

- best chem ratio

X-Jet (negative)

- Limited height and flow (I don't count that mist over 30 feet as usuable mix unless you soak it at which point the neighbors house, car and plant life mis also being cleaned)

- unwieldy buckets and hoses

- won't prime on 8 ft wand unless you point it straight

- You can lose an X-Jet

Downstream (positive)

- plenty of ratio if you get the right downstreamer 1:5

- increased height of usable flow ( I get 50 feet )

- increased flow

- no overspray

- flow is on demand, no priming

- less chance for damage to siding as you are using flow, not pressure

Downstream (negative)

- Ratios are too low for roof cleaning

- chemicals run through your hose

- You have to turn off the downstreamer (or change nozles to rinse)

- No foaming/agitation of chemical so it doesn't cling as well

For me, I down stream every house now. I found a nice surfactant called Barlox that gives me the cling. My housewash mix is 3 gallons of (leaving out brand name) and 5 gallons of 12% sodium hypochlorite, 2 cups of Barlox. This will do the average 5000 sf home with moderate mold. I switched to stainless QC's and swivel and have had absolutely no problems.

The X-Jet is a great tool, and I haven't retired it yet. Last week I had brick with mold growth that waved in the wind. For that I needed the strength of the X-J but that was extreme. As someone said, the right tools for the right job.

What debate?

:2eyes:

Rod ~

Read my post and tell me. I would debate that downstreaming far surpasses the X-Jet on 85% of housewash jobs. I have a feeling this statement alone will give you all the debate you could ever care to read.

Most of the time, I downstream and rinse with the M-5 X-jet. I don't like messing with the buckets either and just make my mix stronger for the downstreamer.

Here is my take as it relates to housewashing:

Downstream (positive)

- plenty of ratio if you get the right downstreamer 1:5

- increased height of usable flow ( I get 50 feet ).

I've seen this said before if your getting 50ft by down streaming are you using an extension wand? I'm really not clear on this x-jet vs down streaming issue. I down streamed when I first started then found the x-jet. No more ladders, no more extension wands, but do have to drag around a bucket and extra hose. The fact that the x-jet doesn't prime above 8 ft really gripes me sometimes especially when its really hot, its the 2nd or third house that day and I have to climb on the roof to get that last bit of roof line above the garage. I guess my question is what tip do you use? The soap tip doesn't shoot that high so:lgkeyboarI'm standing by with my wide lined notebook ready to take notes.

Thanks

Hey Ken,

Just yanking your chain...I'm an M-5 fan.

I havent downstreamed in about 2 years. I rigged up a chem injector at the gun for my extend-a-wand so that I could uncouple as needed. As a matter of fact, I only needed it to clean a chimney 3 stories up on a windy day and even then the ratio was weak compared to the M-5 I use regularly. The chem injector is getting a great deal of dark time in my tool box these days.

I can set up my M-5 on an extension lance (6') or onto the end of the extend-a-wand fully extended (24') and still get the draw I need to clean any of the projects I have had.

I didnt like walking back to the pw'er to pull the hose off the injector or vice-versa. I use only low pressure (300-350 psi) to clean siding with so changing tips doesn't help in my case. If I dont like the pattern when I am rinsing, I just use my bendable wand without a tip and get a tight pattern of water up to 40 feet onto the siding for agitation and rinsing.

I may lug a 5 gallon pail around with me, but it has a cover and is set up so that I dont have to worry about spills.

As far as lugging the bucket, I am working on an idea for that too! ;)

The M-5 has my vote for the most innovative peice of equipment in my tool box.

I agree that putting chems through your hose is not the best thing for them and makes windows harder to get clean not to mention the residue it leaves on siding.

The chem injector has in my opinion become obsolete for our needs.

Rod~

I use an 0040 on a 5.5 gpm machine on the end of an eight foot wand.

I have only used the M-5 and love the way she cleans. Would like to try a downstream injector some day just so I will have a first hand decision on which I like best.

I would think an 8' wand would be a little bit of a pain when doing a house wash. I use a 6' wand sometimes on a tall house with the M-5, but always switch back to my small wand after I have finished the hard to reach section because it is a pain to work with.

Great Discussion, Love this board

Thanks again Rod and Beth

We have an 8 gpm machine which I am sure helps to some extent.

But no additional pumps.

Having the unit sized to your units psi helps, especially when you use the minimum psi rating.

ex.3000-4000 psi for ours.

there is a 2000-3000 psi rated unit that could help get better draw but I think gpms is also a determining factor.

Rod~

I'm really glad to see the different opinions on the X-JET nozzle. In doing this, we can address the questions that come up.

Keep in mind that one of the major advantages of using the nozzle is the fact that all harmful chemicals are directed to the end of the X-JET. This allows you to bypass the chemical flow through the pump, downstream injector, gun, lance and pressure nozzle. This makes for much longer life for all of these parts.

KEEP 'EM COMING.

I clean about 95% Brick on new construction and next to the pressure washer it is the most important tool on my trailer. I have the original. It is less parts for me to tear up. Yes I have torn up an original. Snatched the chem hose barb out of it, then cracked the stainless portion trying to get it out with an easy out. I have also torn up anvils with rubber hammers. So the less moving parts for me the better.

I clean about 95% Brick on new construction and next to the pressure washer it is the most important tool on my trailer. I have the original. It is less parts for me to tear up. Yes I have torn up an original. Snatched the chem hose barb out of it, then cracked the stainless portion trying to get it out with an easy out. I have also torn up anvils with rubber hammers. So the less moving parts for me the better.

Sounds like you may be a little heavy handed. When I was a locksmith there was another guy who worked for the company who was heavy handed and in the lock trade that just doesn't work. He kept braking locks, tools, linkages and anything else that required finesse. That's all right though, this guy was strong as an ox. I think he missed his calling as a bare-handed head crusher.

Dude!

Where did you go today? Everytime we talk you disappear.....Are your customers really that much more important?

:lgsad:

Just missin' with ya, Jim.....You can call anytime!

:lgbugeyes

I'm really glad to see the different opinions on the X-JET nozzle. In doing this, we can address the questions that come up.

Keep in mind that one of the major advantages of using the nozzle is the fact that all harmful chemicals are directed to the end of the X-JET. This allows you to bypass the chemical flow through the pump, downstream injector, gun, lance and pressure nozzle. This makes for much longer life for all of these parts.

KEEP 'EM COMING.

There is no chemical flow through the pump using a downstreamer.

I use SS fittings on all my connections, and haven't had any problems with shortened life spans. The chem gets rinsed from the system when I rinse whatever I'm washing, so it isn't in there all that long to begin with.

The only problem I have with my M5 (and this has happened on both that I've owned) is that the clip that holds the black adjustment knob winds up falling out, and once it comes out, it will not stay in. I've replaced it with a piece of bare 12 guage copper wire, and that seems to work.

Other than that, it's a great tool, but certainly isn't the best or only tool for every job. For most housewashing, downstreaming is faster and much easier (for me, at least). For those things that require a higher concentration of chlorine, the Xjet delivers.

Once we got the "mix" from the x-jet out of the way and got the downstreaming mix right (only one try:)), we fly through housewashing with no extra hose, no buckets to spill. For new brick however, we'd never try it without our x-jet :)

What chems are you using on NEW brick? I'm working on a quote on a new one-story commercial build-out. It's mostly brick, has lots of hardiplank and wood trim as well. Lot's of mortar and red clay staining, mostly on the brick work. 2 -buildings. ea at 6500 sf of surface.

Customer also wants concrete retaining wall cleaned of red clay stains - a block looking affair/textured concrete at over 5000 sf. I did a test run on it. My production rate was 120sf/10 mins with a turbo nozzle/cold water. My machine is rated at 4.8gpm/3000 psi. But man! That red clay is a ***** even when I tried HOT water. I've not done a test run on the brick yet.

I'm figuring 0.11 is a good flat rate for the whole project but I'm concerned about the mortar stains/red clay creating major (slowing) variables on my production rate in some places.

This job could begat many more with this developer who's been relying on beat up old cold water machines and their day labor for less than stellar results from what I can see on their other projects.