Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Paid with Ding Dongs

Question

So I finished this resi in Atlanta and had a couple of gallons of chems left over from the job in my drum. I get home and was wondering what I should do with the leftover chems,i.e. pour it on the overgrown kudzu ( wild fast growing weed here in ATL) or try and save it for the next job. Well, there is this little old Irish couple that live a few houses down from me and their driveway is practically black from years of

moldy buildup. The old man barely remembers yesterday and always talks about the war way back when. The wife is still pretty sharp though. Well I asked them if I could use the leftover chems on their driveway and clean it for free. She agreed to let me do it for free, but kept insisting that she at least pay me a little something. I declined over and over.

Now before anyone starts grilling me for giving away my services, keep in mind that this is a very very old couple on a fixed income. I even cut their grass from time to time. The old man gives me fruit and veggies from his garden, which is payment enough for me.

Well while I was cleaning their driveway she elusively climbed into my work truck and slipped a box of hostess ding dongs in for payment. Needless to say, all the calories I just burned will most likely return. I didn't even know they made Ding Dongs anymore. So I got rid of my extra chems and will most likely gain a few lbs. from this one. Man I forgot how good those things were.

Have a great day everyone!!!!!

Adrian

10 answers to this question

Adrain-

Yikes, I'm not sure they do make ding dongs anymore. Check the date on those bad boys.

Great story!

I'll share one.

When I was going to school down in South Florida I lived next door to this Ancient Treasure of a gal. She didn't much care for me with the loud music and all that ruckus. One nigh the girl friend wakes me up swearing she hears screaming coming from the old lady's house. I go to the back door and listen and sure enough before long I hear the chilling scream.

It was somewhere between HEEEEEELLP!!! and OUUUUCH!

So quickly I assume she is down with a broken hip or something. I call 911. About 1/2 hour later after scaring her half to death I have two police standing at my door none too happy. The lady is startled but just fine and my credibility is not looking so hot. Thankfully about then the scream came back. They investigate and it turns out to be a couple of cats in the throws of creating kittens.

The police forgive with a laugh and leave. Everyone returns to bed. The next day I wake to a new best friend and a constant supply of yummy baked goods. Turns out the Treasure lived alone in FL with all of her family up north. She was overjoyed that we made the effort to see that she was ok. She had tons of great stories and even more tasty recipies.

LMAO about the cats. Sometimes good old fashioned hospitality pays off.

by the way the ding dongs are good through Nov. Took your advice and checked the date. I remember when my mom used to pack them in my lunch and they were wrapped in foil. Now they are hermetically sealed in plastic to prevent spoilage.

2 down 10 to go.

Have a great day.

P.S. My big brother lives in O'Fallon Mo. not too far from STL. Ever hear of that place.

Nice sleepy little town.

Take care

Adrian

Rod tells the story of the little girl (between 4 and 6 yers old?) that brought him a piece of home make strawberry short cake once. She waited patiently while he worked and was just beaming as she gave it to him. Best strawberry shortcake he's ever eaten, I'm sure.

Beth

So I finished this resi in Atlanta and had a couple of gallons of chems left over from the job in my drum. I get home and was wondering what I should do with the leftover chems,i.e. pour it on the overgrown kudzu ( wild fast growing weed here in ATL) or try and save it for the next job. Well, there is this little old Irish couple that live a few houses down from me and their driveway is practically black from years of

moldy buildup. The old man barely remembers yesterday and always talks about the war way back when. The wife is still pretty sharp though. Well I asked them if I could use the leftover chems on their driveway and clean it for free. She agreed to let me do it for free, but kept insisting that she at least pay me a little something. I declined over and over.

Now before anyone starts grilling me for giving away my services, keep in mind that this is a very very old couple on a fixed income. I even cut their grass from time to time. The old man gives me fruit and veggies from his garden, which is payment enough for me.

Well while I was cleaning their driveway she elusively climbed into my work truck and slipped a box of hostess ding dongs in for payment. Needless to say, all the calories I just burned will most likely return. I didn't even know they made Ding Dongs anymore. So I got rid of my extra chems and will most likely gain a few lbs. from this one. Man I forgot how good those things were.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Great story! Thanks for taking the time to chat yesterday.

Thanks!

Mike

Adrian

Adrian,

We give work away on a fairly regular basis. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you feel it for a worthwhile cause.Also,as I have been told by many here it is good PR for your company,although I have not taken advantage of that angle yet.

If I find out an elderly person in our community is in need of cleaning we do what I refer to as a "Drive By Cleaning".We try to sneak them in when the homeowner isn't home,they may be at a Dr. appointment,the senior center or something like that.We get word to them that the job was done at no charge and we hope they enjoy their nice clean home.

God blesses us in so many ways,and in return we try to spread that feeling to others.