Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

How do you apply sealers and stains?

Question

Everyone has preferences, and they even vary depending on the product you're applying.

Pump up

Airless

Brush

Roller

Pad

Hand Mit

How do you apply sealers and stains? Do you use different methods for different products?

Beth

31 answers to this question

Guest Steven Rowlett

I use an airless and have found it to pay for itself in savings on stain , I use less . I adition the quality and speed will more than pay for the system in just a few jobs. This tool will take some pratice to master though. I had the advantage of learning to spray 30 years ago when I started making cabinets and furniture.

I use an airless as well. My fave pump is my Titan 440 lowboy. It just runs perfectly all the time, what more can I say? It even lets me know a week ahead of time when the seals needs replacing.

For houses, I have a 5-8ft extension that holds the gun on the end, and pulls the trigger at the gun, to eliminate spitting from the tip. After a good spray, I have a Besst (no typo) 6"stain brush mounted with a brush holder on a pole, either a 8' or 16', that I backbrush the stain with.

Im looking forward to trying Readyseal this spring, and seeing if the no backbrushing claim really works. I hope so....

Rich,

It is true about Ready seal, and it's also true of Wood Tux. Wood Tux hold the color at the surface better, and has as a slight film to it that ready doesn't.

If you try Ready Seal, try on the Tux.

We'll have samples in Las Vegas.

Beth:cool:

Beth, let me know when you are shipping, I'll buy a bucket to try.

I'm assuming Wood Tux is "for the best dressed wood in town." ??

A lot of my customers would love a slight sheen on nicely buffed logs, can't give it to them with Wolmans, etc.

Rich,

You just came up with the best bye line for Wood Tux. "For the Best Dressed Wood". What ya think Beth, sounds like a winner. Try to get it to Russ before the brochure is printed.

Reed

ps looking forward to trying the Wood Tux, I have a fence ready for it. My own!

Hi all,

The brochures are printed. The slogan is "Dress up your wood".

It begins shipping March 15th. It's 89.00 a 5 gallon pail, oil based, and you guys are going to love this stuff.

Last time Russ was this excited, he shipped HD-80! You can preorder now if you like. :)

That way you have it when you need it, and I know the weather in the south is ready in many places.

Beth

p.s. The logo will be available for use on users web sites. Spinning bow tie and all. Just ask.

The slogan is great, but "Wood Tux" really doesnt flow off the tounge.............

Back to the original question, more often then not, I brush the railing and spindles, and spray the floor with a shurflo sprayer (I use an AC powered Deckhand sprayer).

I can't wait to try that new "Hurricane Brush".

Slight sheen, I'll be trying wood tux this year as well. On my own Deck.

Now for the question.

I spray with an airless the railings, spindles and any lattace work around the deck. Then I us a Pad on the deck surface, steps and top of the railings.

:D :D

Spring is just around the corner I can feel it. :cool:

We're going to do our deck with Wood Tux too... poor deck. It's like 19 years old! We need to repalce it, probably do that this fall. Till then, as cracked as it is (we bought the house and it was like that) it can at least have a nice color and finish! :)

We were curious about those mits you put on and stain with. Anyone using them? Rod's concern is that on old decks you might get splinters in your hand.

Beth

We do. Our standard method is spray and backpad. In some cases depending on the coating, we will brush the entire deck.

We had heard that the hand stain mits were great on spindles... of course, I have seen some realllllly splintery spindles, and as Rod pointed out, he's not anxious to have a hunk of flesh taken out of his hand. Anyone worked with stain mits? They sound great, but are they?

Beth:confused:

Tell Rod to get tough, no really you could get a splitter quick, but it is part of the job....

The Mitts are nice for like a ton of spindles to do but they are a mess when you come down to it... It ruins down your arm and to the floor.... I use them for roof that have boards about 4 inchen apart, spindles, back of chairs that have lattice on the back...

Where ever I need it where standard bruch or air less will not allow me to go...

Hope this helps Beth

Matt

Has anybody ever used ICI(Dulux Paint) WoodPride Exterior Stains ? I was considering using their Deck/Siding(solventborne) stain on an upcoming deck/fence job ? I am new in the business and would appreciate any feedback. I was going to go with a Graco airless sprayer.........any particular tips I should be using ?

I use a pad because I believe it is easier to control the amount that goes on. Also this is the high traffic areas and I want to make sure that I get good coverage . Besides I hate to bend over all the time, and my back won't take that anyways. :D

Guest Steven Rowlett

Just starting out with an airless use a 211 on the spindles and a 511 on the floor. Later you can move up to a 213 and a 513, they will deliver more product but you will need to move fast.

If the product you are applying is thin enough, ie ReadySeal, WoodTux, get a few of the contractors pack of "windex" type spray bottles. These are great for spot spraying under handrails where the spindles attach. Also around the base of the posts on the deck surface. Most of the spray bottles one can adjust the spray, mist or stream. IF the product has alot of solids in it you may have to clean the screen on the uptake tube a few time. But the bottle makes real quick work of getting those hard to apply areas around spindles attachment areas.

Reed

It sounds like spraying is the best way to apply stain to the spindles. What are you doing to prevent overspray? Are you using airless sprayers or shur flo pumps? Thanks

H2O Joe,

ICI offered me the WoodPride, but am already offering more choices than probably should be. ICI in my area offers TWP for the same price as the WoodPride ($79.95 per 5 gallon pail - contractor rate). I would recommend TWP over WoodPride since it has Consumer Report appeal and good reputation for quality and colors.

Let us know what you think if you try it.

Reed,

That is so simple it is BRILLIANT!!! I had never thought about small spray bottles for rails and spindles. Bet your bottom dollar I'll tell Rod. :) On the occasions when I go out to help seal up decks, I end up with the rails, lattice, etc. I have been looking for a way to make it easier and faster. Tried a mit on the last deck. Didn't like that. Left little fuzzies all over the place. I have also tried those little craft sponges on a stick that have the beveled end. Those I like because you can get into corners. I also like small paint brushes for corners. But for those rails that are starburst patterns where the spindles get close together at the bottom, I'm thinking the little spray bottles you mentioned sound great.

Thanks Reed!

Beth

I wish I could take full credit for that, but someone mentioned that to me a few years back and wow, what a godsend. Cut spindle time down like crazy. One point of interest, you may have to clean the strainer screen from time to time on the bottom of the uptake tube if your sealer has a high concentration of undispersed solids. Another benefit, you can swirl or shake the bottle to keep it mixed. Sometime the simplest of things are the best ways of doing things. I think sometimes as professionals we make things too complicated and fail to step back a step or two and reevaluate processes. Damn did I just sound like my old military management role coming through? I guess it never goes away.

Have great season everyone, and pray the economy comes around

Reed

I agree with you Reed, A simple task always turn in to a chore...

Beth, you get the spindles, cause it is a hard job and it takes a person with a eye.... When I take my girlfriend for hoods she always get the job of polishing, why, she has the eye....

Matt

Reed,

I never thought of using windex bottles aither. I have a 1 quart pump up spray bottle that I am going to try on my next deck. I got them at Home Depot and Lowes. I have used them on windows and the have a good spray adjustment . Cost about $5 to $7 each.

Hey Reed... how soon you forget! I tipped you about spray bottles for tough/small areas. ;)

Here's another use for them... when I use a twinkie for doing spindles e.g. just the outsides when I've sprayed the 3 insides, or to touch-up areas like under rails or below them, press the end of the twinkie into the spray bottle nozzle and give it a couple of quick squeezes to soak it. Swipe a spindle (or 2), and reload. Once you get into a rythum it's pretty quick, controls amount of product you need, and saves time and the body movement of bending or moving to a pot or tray to pick-up product and move to apply it. Dave Perry, Pro Seal Deck Care. "If It's Outdoor Wood, It Needs Care." :D

I found an easy way to fill those spray bottles with no mess.

I went to the local supermarket and bought a turkey baster

just dip in the stain and squeez, repeat with the spray bottle.

cheap and it works

Bob