Sign in to follow this  
glock40

Customer complaint

Today I hit the streets looking for work. Well after hitting the big money towns and placing my business card on the exterior poles of the mail box post. I received a call from a very wealthy person this rich person says hello did you place this card on my mail box I said im not sure what you mean sir. He says well your card was affixed to my mailbox post and as I removed your card the scotch tape peeled my paint from the box post.

Has this ever happen to anyone. I mean come on these house are at least a million easy and no drives anything thats american in this town. Put it this way Mike Tyson owned a home where I was today so that tells you enough.

I willing to bet that if you went back and touched-up the mail box the homeowner will be impressed and tell a few neighbors (might even have work for you), making a good impression. Bring extra cards and flyers.

But if you don't take care of the mail box he will tell more than a few neighbors and that impression will be left. Your time would have been wasted.

You most definitely must go touch up his paint. I'm sure that technically somewhere in someone's mind you trespassed, solicited, defaced personal property or any of a number of other prosecutable offenses. Cover your rear and reputation and beat feet back over - make a professional impression on the homeowner.

Celeste

Celeste

Becareful how you handle this. I would suggest that you call that guy and let him know that you will be back to touch up that spot. In the future becareful where you go to solicit business. On my "Other" Job I'm in an area that is extremely wealthy and there are rules there that are enforced and one of them is soliciting. You are not allowed to do it and not knowing the town ordinances will not help you from getting out of a ticket. These rules are in place because because the very rich are paranoid and who could blame them. This is one of the ways that there houses are scoped out to possibly be burglarized.

:lgbugeyes :lgbow:

Not only do you call him, let him know you will be out to touch it up, but leave him a note...a thank you note...on company letter head...containing the following points...

• Thank him for bringing it to your attention,
  • Offer your deepest apologies for the mishap.
  • Let him know that as a result you are reevaluating your marketing distribution methods, and that had it not been for his feedback, you would not have had this opportunity to improve your company's image.
  • Let him know you sincerely hope he will consider using your services in the future.
  • Sign you name, and put your personal cell phone number on it, hand written below it.

That's what I would do.

Beth

What others have said is true....check the laws in your area. If it isn't illegal, then keep doing it...this type of advertising (I use full page flyers) is the most profitable for me, and the least expensive.

I encounter the problem of the "peeling paint" regularly. At first I was a little weirded out that people actually bothered to call and complain about such a trivial thing. Then, I began to think how I would react had it happened to MY mailbox....the SAME way! So, I began repairing (when possible) the paint when I get a compaint call. I even had one little old lady that I replaced her whole mailbox (it looked 40 years old and had been repainted many times). I also apologized, of course. She was very grateful and said she was sorry that she couldn't afford my services. Well, over the next few weeks I began getting calls from people for cleaning....and they said Mrs.X recommended me. Well, I ended up getting 20+ referrals from this little old lady over the following months (I replaced her mailbox in the spring). I ended up washing her house pro bono in the fall....and have each year since. I have made literally thousands of dollars in referrals from this lady....and it only cost me $9.97!!!

Yes, I realize this is an extreme case....BUT, people DO talk...and remember, do a good job and the person will tell one person, do a bad job and the person will tell 10 people.

• Thank him for bringing it to your attention,
  • Offer your deepest apologies for the mishap.
  • Let him know that as a result you are reevaluating your marketing distribution methods, and that had it not been for his feedback, you would not have had this opportunity to improve your company's image.
  • Let him know you sincerely hope he will consider using your services in the future.
  • Sign you name, and put your personal cell phone number on it, hand written below it.

Beth

Excellent advice Beth!

Today I hit the streets looking for work. Well after hitting the big money towns and placing my business card on the exterior poles of the mail box post. I received a call from a very wealthy person this rich person says hello did you place this card on my mail box I said im not sure what you mean sir. He says well your card was affixed to my mailbox post and as I removed your card the scotch tape peeled my paint from the box post.

I have been told many times that 3 things really tick off a homeowner about flyers.

- Taped or tacked to the post/box. After a few dozen it begins to look cruddy.

- bend the flag while inserting non-taped/tacked flyers.

- place them so they come lose and fly about the streets.

For these reasons, I losely fold them trifold (not roll) and slip them behind the flag. The trifold provided enough tension to stay, not enough to cause damage. No tacks or tape neccessary.

It's actually illegal to attach anything to a mail box, in a mail box or it's post or the little flags. You can be fined heavily for it too but it's rare.

Yep, but outside doesn't draw the ire of the postman nearly as much as inside does! Courtesy and placement of flyers goes along way with the homeowner and the mailman. If they have a "non-mail" box, use it. If the flag is up, pass. If no flag, skip it.

Use magnetic business cards!! They are fairly cheap, look professional, and I have gotten calls months later. They put it on their fridge and call you when they need something.

Last year that was the only way I solicited business and did quite well. One call will pay for hundreds of magnetic business cards. You also do not run into situations like this. I only had one complaint call all season. Just a very old dude who really did not have anything else to do. I smoothed it over, I lied and told him I just lost my job, just trying to support my family blah, blah blah. He had me come out and do his patio!!!

Jeff Robison

Titan Exterior

678-360-2518

Very unclassy move.

Do what Beth suggested. For a move that unclassy you better REALLY step it up and become professional in a hurry.

I wouldn't even tape a card on a mobile home. May as well get some spray paint and grafitti it up- that's how the upper class views what you did.

Live and learn, my friend. Welcome to the Board.

I am really particularly picky that my flyers do not offend. Today I got a call from someone who as soon as I said hello spouted out: "We got your flyer on our mailbox today. I just wanted to let you know that we will NEVER use your services [click]"

I am really particularly picky that my flyers do not offend. Today I got a call from someone who as soon as I said hello spouted out: "We got your flyer on our mailbox today. I just wanted to let you know that we will NEVER use your services [click]"

Guys get post cards or mailers and mail them to people, yes its more expensive, But you wont **** anyone off and its a little more professional looking. About 4-5 years ago when I 1st started I did about 700 fliers in a week I got 2 calls. I sent out about 300 envelopes with flier & biz card and I got dozens of calls. Sometimes mailing work great sometimes not so great, but if I get a neighborhood with a good response I'll send to those areas several times. I had one person call and he showed me 3 mailers & 2 postcards of mine, one was over 3 years old. People will call or save them, I believe flier or card on mailbox they just crumple up & toss. I know I do

just my $.37

i agree with Jeff and Craig, anyone running a professional business has no business putting flyers on mailboxes. It looks shoddy and fly-by-night. There are LEGIT ways of doing freebies, it just takes more work. Most places (check ordinances) it is legal to do doorhangers. Sometimes you can knock on doors (which is the best IMO). Just suck it up and send postcards, you'll reap big rewards and not waste a days worth of gas and time doing something illegal.

Ive been reading up on bulk mailing you can get a permit and if you do the sorting yourself you can get stuff mailed for as cheap as .12 a piece. go to the usps web site they have all the info there. Ive been taking color glossy fliers i get made for a real good price and i put them in the clear door hanger bags. i don't think its illegal ? anybody have any thoughts on doing it this way

Guys get post cards or mailers and mail them to people, yes its more expensive, But you wont **** anyone off and its a little more professional looking. About 4-5 years ago when I 1st started I did about 700 fliers in a week I got 2 calls. I sent out about 300 envelopes with flier & biz card and I got dozens of calls. Sometimes mailing work great sometimes not so great, but if I get a neighborhood with a good response I'll send to those areas several times. I had one person call and he showed me 3 mailers & 2 postcards of mine, one was over 3 years old. People will call or save them, I believe flier or card on mailbox they just crumple up & toss. I know I do

just my $.37

I only flyer during really slow periods when I need jobs for the guys tomorrow, but the printer is 7-10 days out. I hadn't thought about mailing the flyers, but that's worthy of consideration. The reason I had not pursued it further is with a 1% response, first class = $37/acq. Thoughts anyone?

Ive been reading up on bulk mailing you can get a permit and if you do the sorting yourself you can get stuff mailed for as cheap as .12 a piece. go to the usps web site they have all the info there. Ive been taking color glossy fliers i get made for a real good price and i put them in the clear door hanger bags. i don't think its illegal ? anybody have any thoughts on doing it this way

12c/piece is min 100 pieces per route sorted by route number and dropped at the post office that services the route. Realistically, 15c is about the min unless you're doing some serious volume (then start figuring cost of time for sorting).

Anyway, for oversized cards figure 15c/piece + 10c for printing [+ 8c/name (one time cost)]. That put you at $25/lead. Factor in 80% conversion and you're looking at $31.25 per lead.

Anyway, for oversized cards figure 15c/piece + 10c for printing [+ 8c/name (one time cost)]. That put you at $25/lead. Factor in 80% conversion and you're looking at $31.25 per lead.

Yes, 31.25 per lead, maybe, but considering the potential of a dozen other jobs steming from the jobs you do get will justify the cost down the road. I'm big on back tracking my jobs, and I've had trees of 10 to 20 jobs that I can back track to the one job that started it all. I don't like looking at the 1% or 2% return figure because it's not accurate. Pay now thrive later.

Dan,

Just last night I followed up on an idea that Mike W gave. I went to our county website and began digging for property appraisals. After about 3 hours of digging, I found an obscure little page (way off the beaten path) that would let you pull the appraisal for a given property. At the bottom of that page there was a small text link for "search". BINGO! Put in any street or subdivision, and there's a nice little listing of every house and the owners name. The only drawbacks that I see are that the name is last, first and trunc'd to 40 chars. So, some of the records will need to be massaged or look a little weird. That and they don't give zip codes. That's no biggie as the subdiv's generally have one zip.

I downloaded 10 of my hottest subdiv's and plan to start carpet bombing the tomorrow morning...

Many thanks to Mike for this excellent tip. I was driving to the subdiv, getting a few cross street names, using google maps to get all the street names in that subdiv (by eye), and then buying records on all the houses on street "x". This takes a WHOLE lot less time to get a subdiv (minutes vs hours) and I can take an old invoice and easliy get all the homes in that subdiv. Oh, and as a bonus you get the appraisal. It's not hard science, but in uniform neighborhoods you can judge relative size/difficulty by the differing values.