Sign in to follow this  
Jeffrey Abrams

New Gutters

I,ve noticed that newer gutters( one to two years old ) are not coming clean. The black streaks do not come out. I,m using products like gutter zap- works well on older gutters. Anyone notice this? Any thoughts?

Rarely, but I also have had the same problem, there a lower grade of gutter. I usually juice up the mix alittle and make sure Im not taking the finish off. It always reduces the the streaks but not always removes them

ALSO in cold or colder weather the Gutter Zap & Gutter shock isnt as effective, you have to go a little stonger. warm weather no problem

I tried the Gutter Zap (Gutter Burn) should be named. It worked somewhat on new and old gutters streaks. But the prodcut is NOT touchless as claimed. Even if you apply at full strength, which get very expensive. If you look at the gutter's finish when you use it you'll notice it is actually burning the finish. I stopped using it and switched to using Power Stroke or Ripper or even the Premier house wash (at higher concentration) from Epec. I could adjust the concentration as needed and have removed even the worst streaks.

I just did a house yesterday that was really bad. I always prewet the gutters with my house wash and directly brush the gutters with soft brush and concentrate liquid. Close up and far away the gutters shine and do not looked burned(close inspection).

Im surprised you say that about Gutter Zap Ive never had the problems you speak of. Ive never had to use it straight either , I wonder why the 2 totally different results. I also brush all my gutters. I now use RPC Gutter Shock the 55 gallon kits cheaper than Gzap

Have you looked closely at the gutters you are using it on?

I was using it on a few houses when i first got some back about a year or so. At first I was pleased, but became concerned when I got a closer look at the results where some gutters were about eye level to me.

I mixed and applied per directions(spray on and tried to pwash off) but noticed a spotted look where the chemical had splashed.

That's when I really looked closer and saw it was actually burning the coating on the gutters.

I get better results from the Espec chem for much less cost.

From what I can tell of teh MSDS on Gutter Zap, it is sodium hydroxide ~10%....which is Caustic=burn.

I can buy approx 12% NaOH in 55gal drums locally at about $4 +-/gal.

I would rather use something that is not overkill.....I may be doing something incorrect here??? But i ahve tried it diluted and found not effective as claimed. Higher concentrations still not as effective and appears burned....guuters loose that gloss. VS if I use the Esec prodcuts, the gutters are cleaned, shine with same amount of elbow grease.

What is ingredients and concentration of RPC?