Sign in to follow this  
Russell Cissell

Price

When you bid a deck what do you most often charge per square foot?  

331 members have voted

1. 1. When you bid a deck what do you most often charge per square foot?

• $1.00 - $1.25
    • $1.25 - $1.50
    • $1.50 - $2.00
    • $2.00 - $3.00
    • Over $3.00 per sq/ft

Question

After talking with another contractor today I became very curious about pricing. I've been specializing in wood restoration for over a decade. The price varies by region of the country and also from company to company within each market.

I am very interested to see how the prices here in the St. Louis market stack up with those nationwide.

112 answers to this question

Well said, Celeste.

Obviously someone felt like he was being personally attacked. I think its reasonable to conduct intelligent, level-headed dialogue about regional circumstances that affect pricing. I, for one, have benefited greatly from past TGS discussions on the topic.

Yes, "times are tough" with respect to the American economy as a whole. As...a whole. The fact is times are not equally tough in all markets. For instance, in my market, the only cut-backs my clients are making is deciding to vacation in Europe this year instead of trekking in Africa. These clients are working in industries that have been getting rich in these lean times. I have two clients who are pharmaceutical CFO'S, another dozen that are corporate lawyers, and a new one just yesterday, that is a professional football player. I guess what Im getting at is what many folks have said in the past.

Where your positioned in the market has EVERYTHING to do with pricing.

If I offered to lower my price to one of my clients who was on the fence about a prospective project, I'm certain that I would never hear from him again. Certain of it. Thats just my market. Okay, perhaps Charlie was pushing it a bit to call such practices "sleazy", but I think he was trying to make a point. A valuable one, in my opinion. Im certain that the clients in my market would interpret such a pricing technique as pretty unprofessional and indicative that I may have been fishing for "the most I could get" when I originally quoted their project.

In the infamous and soon to be patented words of Rod, "just my .02."

Hi Dave.. Although Chaz was talking to you I doubt he was talking at or about your person directly in stating his beliefs. We comment on other's ideas here and offer lesson or our beliefs of how we expect things will go down or be taken by the masses. I suspect the 'you' or 'you're' type speech was indirect and generally speaking. Probably not meant to label or put you down at least until you fullfill what is being talked about in lowering prices. He doesn't even know you right? That usually the first clue to a misunderstanding...just my .02 :)

JeaPaint say you charge a 1.85 psf thats just for cleaning/stripping, then you set another charge for staining, say 1.85 psf for staining. Thats what we do thats 3.70 psf for total restoration. Someone said you couldnt get 1.00 psf thats crazy to me, your work is worth more than that. You can get more you just gotta explain to the customer wood restoration is a art and its not cheap! The biggest promblem I had with wood when I started doing it is I wasnt confident in my pricing, then Scott Jackson said Dave you gotta be confident in your pricing when talking to a customer. After a couple behind my belt I was plenty confident and started booking plenty jobs with higher pricing...

I am in San Antonio Texas and I am shocked at the prices you are posting. Here, I charge $2.50 sq. ft. for clean and seal and $2.50-$4.00 for strip and seal. I have lost a few jobs to painters, one recently. The painter bid it at $1.50. They sprayed on an interior rubbing stain on a $47,000.00 dollar just built deck and it failed in a month. They called me to fix it and I told them yes but the price was 30% higher than my original bid to undo what had been done. They decided to live with what they had. It was a shame.

I am in San Antonio Texas and I am shocked at the prices you are posting. Here, I charge $2.50 sq. ft. for clean and seal and $2.50-$4.00 for strip and seal. I have lost a few jobs to painters, one recently. The painter bid it at $1.50. They sprayed on an interior rubbing stain on a $47,000.00 dollar just built deck and it failed in a month. They called me to fix it and I told them yes but the price was 30% higher than my original bid to undo what had been done. They decided to live with what they had. It was a shame.

I'd call them back and tell them the price goe's back to original after the stain fails some more,,,aka this summer....before they call someone else...I wouldn't want to "quit" the job just because they went with someone else first. That sounds like a heck of a deck and too much money to leave on the table if you don't. Swallow your pride and fatten up your pocket...

Prices are based on ones own measurements and difficulties. Some of the figures thrown out here are arbitrary numbers. The skill level of the person, confidence, and ability to complete the job should be a factor.

Celeste, You realize there is a least 11 posters in this thread that reflect no signature?.. Least one example, such as Fenner's, shows no signature one post but then more recent posts or posts in other threads do show...what's with all that?

After talking with another contractor today I became very curious about pricing. I've been specializing in wood restoration for over a decade. The price varies by region of the country and also from company to company within each market.

I am very interested to see how the prices here in the St. Louis market stack up with those nationwide.

Here in Bloomington I am are getting 1.00 sq ft for a cleaning and 2 sq ft for a strip and seal.

Just stopped by, saw this thread was still active. Russ started this in 05. WOW. interesting to see how prices are gonna be with this economy.

Hope all are well.

reed

I charge $1.75 a square foot for clean and stain and $2.25 for a strip and stain. I never lower my prices they take it or they don't! Unless of course they are getting multiple things done.

I had someone ask me about giving a military discount. My response was "If I gave a military discount then that means that I am over charging everyone else." Did the work that week.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate their service and have family in the military but I will NOT charge everyone else more as they are working and helping the community also.

The price is the price.

I am curious if anyone has had to bite the bullet and lower their rates with the present economy. Any comments?

Also, does anyone begin to lower the rate a bit as the square footage goes up. On smaller decks it seems prudent to always charge premium price to make the job worth my while, but those prices on much larger decks seem to be out of the ballpark. Anyone else ever deal with this to stay competitive??

How much do you guys charge to clean and seal railing and spindles? i know you cant include that in with the sqft because the railing and spindles will vary from deck to deck...

My prices include the railings whether standard or chippendale. When I do a front porch with no railing work my $/s.f. decreases since there is less labor and time involved.

The economy definately lowered the closing ratio last year - we haggled price a bit on some jobs to get the work but in one part it's to keep the crews busy too. I wont give away a job no matter what but if I can keep my numbers in check +/- 10% and close the deal I usually do it. I have to keep 6 to 7 employees busy April 1st through October 1st so the work has to be there but it also has to be profitable and worthwhile. Everyone has to have a breaking point.

2010 is taking off with a bang though. Unfortunately everybody has the right now mindset!

I agree with Dan. It will be easier to compute the total cost if you will charge separately. Some people find these agreeable particularly if they are commissioning for different jobs like skirting and post alone. You will just add other costs like sealing, stripping, and bench if they ask for it.

Edited by airjacobs

I agree with you Dan. I charge seperate for the decking (includes skirting and post) and the railing. I also seperate the cost for stripping vs sealing.

Curious, how much do you get per linear foot of railing there? Actually lets break it down between regular rail & pickets vs. chipendale style. Look forward to what your getting. Also, what about those built-in benches??

Thanks!;)

I see intersting answer in this thread. I am curious when pricing your stripping or sealing does this include your materials or is this just a labor price and you add materials. I would assume the later but you know what assuming does.

I liked the way some guys estimate rails by tkaing feet x 4. thats a good idea in my book. I do think it is best to price them different from the floor do to the time it takes to do them compared to the floor.

I just came from a deck estimate 35 miles from my shop. The front deck is ipe 7x14, the HO has a beck deck at 12 x38 another 12x15 and another piece at 8x12 those are all PT. All have no railings, there is a boat load of lawn furniture etc has to be moved and replaced. All said and done 900 sf ft of deck to strip and apply semi solid or trans by pad, roller, brush and you will have quite of cutting in to do.

Now i put all things in consideration, travel, materials , stripper, finish, applicators, can I do this work at a dollar a sq ft , I think not. Man days, how much can a worker strip and seal in a day after setting up , cleaning up, and travel back and forth to job. Wouldn't a 2 man crew be better much more productive for getting stripper mixed up and setting up , loading etc... and then coming back to finish.

My point is I have been estimating decks for some time and painting seems like forever and I do use a sq ft method but I get my numbers from my production rates. Just my 2 cts and yes guys here would bid anything at a buck a sq ft without even looking at what they are bidding... now if it would stop raining and snowing all week so we can get going and start doing some work.

We whole heartily give a Military discount if it wasn't for our very brave troops we would not be free to have a business. No one gives up more in the community than troops serving in combat or war time zone. They deserve everything they get and more. We aslo support Wounded Warrior Project - Home and the Fisher House Boston