Sign in to follow this  
Barry M

Average age at start up

How old were you when you started the biz?  

358 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when you started the biz?

• 15 to 20
    • 20 to 25
    • 25 to 30
    • 30 to 35
    • 35 to 40
    • 40 to 45
    • 45 to 50
    • 50 to 55
    • 55 or older

I was just curious what the average age of starting up a PWing biz was. I started last year, I was 33. Part of me wishes I started when I was in my twenties and could go all day on 4 hours sleep, come home drink a 12er slap the old lady on the ass and do it all again tomarrow. But then again I didn't have the wisdom I do now.

I started a little over a year ago. I work for a organization for 25 years, during that time owned three different businesses while working full time. Retired in 02-01-02 and decided to start a PW business. I like the work, in my prior life I could never really see any results. Now when I leave everyone is happy.

I started my business soon after I turned 22. Sometimes it is a blessing and sometimes it is a curse. Being younger gives people the wrong impression a lot of times. I constantly study and lurk in every forum possible so that when someone asks one of those oddball questions to see how much I know I can intelligently answer it. My business has done tremendous, mostly in part to my ability to effectively sell myself and my effort to constantly offer reliability and quality work. I try to maintain very visually impressive equipment so that I don't look like I am pressure washing to pay for my college beer money. I am finishing college in the next year(thanks to pressure washing) with a major in Construction Management. I have not decided yet whether I will continue to grow my business or whether I will head in to the Construction industry full time. I do know that it will be a long while before I could build my salary to the amount I am making running my own business. And of course I have always heard if you can work for yourself, DO IT! Fortunately, my family business is commercial construction. I may have a merger in the near future. My goal would be to work for the family business as a project manager(have been superintendent during Summer for past two years) and also managing new pressure washing contracts and bringing in pressure washing techs to continue to run the business I have built. Only time will tell...

Been doing what I do since the ripe age of 15, working in a rental store servicing equipment of all types including pw's. Went pw exclusive in '77, worked as service mgr for 3 different companies over a 19 year span. March of next year I celebrate 10 years of owning my own store. I've seen a lot of changes in that time period.

I started my business soon after I turned 22. Sometimes it is a blessing and sometimes it is a curse. Being younger gives people the wrong impression a lot of times. I constantly study and lurk in every forum possible so that when someone asks one of those oddball questions to see how much I know I can intelligently answer it. My business has done tremendous, mostly in part to my ability to effectively sell myself and my effort to constantly offer reliability and quality work. I try to maintain very visually impressive equipment so that I don't look like I am pressure washing to pay for my college beer money. I am finishing college in the next year(thanks to pressure washing) with a major in Construction Management. I have not decided yet whether I will continue to grow my business or whether I will head in to the Construction industry full time. I do know that it will be a long while before I could build my salary to the amount I am making running my own business. And of course I have always heard if you can work for yourself, DO IT! Fortunately, my family business is commercial construction. I may have a merger in the near future. My goal would be to work for the family business as a project manager(have been superintendent during Summer for past two years) and also managing new pressure washing contracts and bringing in pressure washing techs to continue to run the business I have built. Only time will tell...

I started my business as a second career... I hold a degree in nursing, but to be honest, I am tired of the insurance companies telling me how to do my job...

I agree with what you said above.... I have worked to position myself and my business to portray the professional image to my clients... My Pwashing salary has exceeded my nursing salary... I will have to flip a coin soon.

Vandiesal - Well said - Image to the client is everything.

I got started in auto detailing in 1991, but before that my dad built the first coin operated car wash in my hometown in 1976.

I'm starting a pressure washing service now at age 36. I miss being my own boss.

Man, .25 would get you about 3 minutes of wash time back in 1976 !

I started washing trucks when is was 12 years old. My family owned a trash business and my dad would not let me work after school during the week days because it was to dangerous. So every saturday I went and washed trucks. I continued washing truck at another trash company until when I was 20 I started my own business last year. I will be 21 on friday 2/3/06 and heading up to vegas with my best friend. should be good times.

In the spring of '01 I Moved to Watertown NY. to help a fellow do Maple Syrup for 1 month. On the weekend I would help my cousin wash trucks, then when the month was up I was Kinda getting hooked on P/w ( and was in no hurry to go home) so I started helping him all the time doing all kinds of washing. I stayed all summer. Came home in the falland was wound up about washing!!! Started getting my things together and did my first job in March '02 (didn't make any money on the first job but I was in glory!!!;) I can't complain the Lords been good to me!!! I now have 3 rigs on the road and Trying to find help!!! I turn 24 in March!!

First picture is my first few weeks till I got my trailer built. Then the second is me for the first 1 1/2 year till I got my Blue gooseneck. I have pics of it and other trailer on here somewhere. (Pics ain't real clear I had to scan them in.)

GET-R-DONE

post-976-137772151324_thumb.jpg

post-976-137772151331_thumb.jpg

Started as full time business 10 years ago at 49 when downsized by large bank. Had been washing boat hulls since 1986 during fall layups but not as a business only for boaters I knew.

I am 26 and started this year. Full time I have the greates job in the world as a firefighter and love it, even on the bad days. However, with 4 days off at a time and two little princessess at home, some extra money is nice.

Did about 6 months of research and educating myself and here I am. 2 months into, still as green as can be, but so far I must say I like.

I've been Powerwashing for 11+ yrs now and I've been a Police Officer for 20 yrs. Both incomes at times are similiar. Sometimes my income from Powerwashing is far ahead of my income as a cop..but then come those cold winter months this is when I'm most happy being a publice servant..Still when I'm all said and Done My Powerwashing career will be much longer then my "Other Job" unless I'm crazy enough to do both for another 20 yrs.

Oh yea today I'm an old 45..just stripped a large deck that took the whole day...

i was thinking about this a few weeks ago . i have been getting everything togather and researching for the past 6 months. i have done road construction for the past 2 years after being laid off as an inbound dock super for a trucking company for 7 years. working on the road the hours and the pay to say the least suck. im hopeful this is my calling. im careful when i get into something but i put every bit of effort. a pittbull has nothing on me.

Don't know if this is an apprpriate post due to the fact that I have not actually started yet. But, I will be 42 when I start in the Spring. I had a job I really liked, but I gave that up so my wife could be closer to her dying sister. Since then I have worked a couple of jobs I don't really like. I have done powerwashing in the past and really enjoyed not being tied to a desk ALL day. And I really want to do something better for my family than I am able to do in the 9 to 5 rat race.

I just turned 34 in August. I worked as Police Officer for 5 years, and left to do various managment jobs. I have been layed off 4 times in the past 2 years (company cutbacks). I started my company this year and absolutely love it. I am still busy, (I have done 6 houses in the past 2 days and have a roof and a building tomorrow). I could not imaging going back to working for someone else!

I just turned 34 in August. I worked as Police Officer for 5 years, and left to do various managment jobs. I have been layed off 4 times in the past 2 years (company cutbacks). I started my company this year and absolutely love it. I am still busy, (I have done 6 houses in the past 2 days and have a roof and a building tomorrow). I could not imaging going back to working for someone else!

Good luck to you

I worked for a property maintenance co. for 5 years and saw the amount of money that was paid out for this service over the years, so when I quit and started my own home maintenance company I added it on to the list. I am about as green as it comes but I am learning every day thanks to this site. By the way I am 30.

i started my biz about 6 months ago, im 24 right now and i wish i had started right out of high school lol, i am fortunate enough to have 2 trailers one fully paid for with a 25hp 8gpm on both and a 24hp landa hotwater on one. i guess when im in my 30's ill look back and say i was happy i started in my early 20's