Sign in to follow this  
tinman

Any tips for using the gutter cleaning attatchment

I have one of those curved extentions for cleaning out gutters. But it is very hard to use because the pressure makes teh thing go crazy because of teh way it is shaped. Of course turning down teh pressure helps but I was thinking of having a helper use an extension pole to hod it in place above the gutters somehow. Obviously I'm trying to get around using a ladder when possible.:lgsideway Thanks

With a flow actuated unloader and a larger orifice nozzle you won't get the kick out you are experiencing now. Those things make a mess and are really only good if the gutter has had most of the debris already removed.

While the attachment was good intentioned, it is difficult to use if you are using a high pressure rated tip. The alternative was to use a larger orifice size to cut down on the pressure and increase the flow.

Still, without actual inspection, you don't know how good a job you have done without getting up on a ladder to inspect the gutters anyway. So to stress a point, why bother?

Well, the only in favor argument I can offer is a time we needed to use it for a gutter section that was located above our ladders reach (4 stories almost with landscape drops and all), we used it on an extension wand to reach and clear what we could from the otherwise unreachable gutters. The roof pitch was too steep and covered with algae so approach from that direction was completely out of the question. It helped in this case.

While the ads show pictures of it working, it does not fair represent the normal neglect people exhibit to their gutters. They are usually so clogged with debris and large sticks and whatever playthings get thrown onto the roof that makes it unsuitable for this job.

A flex wand with no tip works as well while up on the ladder and a zero degree tip to get the farthest away lengths limits the number of trips up and down the ladder.

Rod!~

The zero tip works great for long spans of gutters,put your ladder at one end and clean the entire length, even the ones full of soggy leaves and such. I use the variable pressure wand while doing this.

I tried using one of the U-shaped add ons with either way noted above and found it resulted in me getting what was in the gutter on my head! That didn't take long to change that tip out!

Also, if there was much in the gutter and I did not physically clean it out, even with a low pressure nozzle the gutters would fill up and all that stuff in the gutter would boil up and work between the gutter and facia board, and lower shingles. Made more of a mess than I wanted.

I go up and hand clean, then use low pressure to wash out and flush down spouts.

They are nice for flushing out gutters, but not very good at cleaning a gutter out. Nothing beats a ladder and a bucket for that job. use the gutter tip to flush the gutters afterwards with clean water so you know they water flow is working correctly.

Thanks for the info . i found another thread where a guy was using it with a "T" fitting with 2 tips on the end of the gutter tool . So the pressure off 2 tips would offset each other and the direction of the tips would be "sideways" so maybe the tool would stay put. We will see.