Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Pet Odor and Paint

Was at Home Depot today in the Paint section. Heard someone ask the HD employee if they knew how to get cat urine odor out of concrete. "He said sure do" as he handed them a can of BEHR concrete sealer.

He recommended to them that they paint over it with this and the smell would be gone.

Does anyone have any comments to this, as to whether it is true or false? I can not believe that the sealer will eliminate the smell. Please advise.

It's possible but highly unlikely that the Behr product will cover the odor. Hard to believe that someone would recommend a coating vs. a cleaner, but then would you ask a clerk at Home Depot how to clean concrete or carpet. Personally, I would call a carpet cleaner for cleaning advice or Pet store or a Vet. What do Vets use?

Bleach the concrete.

There is also a product called "Out!" cat spray & urine stain & odor remover (made by Out! International, Inc.). It's for carpets, upholstery and works very well on concrete.

Well, I did stop them after they finished with the HD clerk. I told them that trying to cover up something like that is ill advised and that they need an enzyme type cleaner. They said they tried a few and that none of them worked. I have tried bleach and after many gallons, had no quality results.

They also admitted that they were to cause for this as they were trying to clean a smaller area, and then it spread to the whole room. They were now going to replace the carpet and pad, but needed to get the odor out of the concrete first.

My suggestion was try baking soda first, and if that fails, call a carpet cleaner who has tile and grout capabilities. Left them with a card, so if they call, I will recommend the "OUT".

Charcoal has been used for many years to filter odors.

Fish tanks use charcoal,

Cigarettes have them too.

Air cleaner filters rely on it highly,

Respirators can't work without them.

White vinegar and water has some effect on cat urine but fighting an acid with an acid? Mixed results.

Could it be that the mold & mildew additive in Behr neutralizes the acids and organic materials in the urine?

Baking soda may do the job also, but it sounds like they have a major kitty problem if it has spread all over the room. Most likely a male cat that needs to be neutered (Ouch), otherwise he'll keep spraying and urinating to mark his territory.

Stress will also keep the cat from breaking the bad habit even after being neutered (Ouch). Feed him lots of tuna, take the lid off the aquarium, let him scratch the new divan (sofa) without hurling objects at him, buy him some exotic bird magazines and make sure there is a cover on the litter box (privacy is key along with keeping the bird magazine next to the litter box).

Sounds like he's on his way to become an outdoor cat.

From what I understand, the most effective products on the market use bacterial enzymes which are GOOD bacteria that feeds on the organic material and turns it into water and carbon dioxide. Problem with most of these products - if you have already used bleach or detergent, they will be non-effective, as the cleaning products will kill off the bacteria. So the consumer thinks they purchased a lousy product, which in most instances is not the case - it needs to be the first thing used, not the second or third.

Our Vet uses "Cat-Off" by Tifornell (I'm sure there are dozens of similar products on the shelves).

Meowww!

I have a small problem I need help with: :2eyes:

I have charcoal stains on my concrete floor that needs to be removed (it's a long story, don't ask how it got there). :o

Should I buy a pressure washer at Home Depot? and is 3500 psi enough? Do I need to move the furniture or can I just throw tarps over them? or should I hire a professional?

....%$**#!!#%##cat!

Hey Paul,

No need for the PW, just rub in some of that beach sand :fishing: that you have out back, and the charcoal will be gone.

Good point on the enzyme stuff needing to be used first. I never thought about that, but if there is no bacteria, then it can not work.

I think this job calls for rotary extraction, (FURY) and that is why I referred them to a carpet/tile cleaner. The cat only did a small area (bad kitty) they say, and when they tried to clean it themselves, they made it spread to the whole room. (Bad kitty parents) Will wait and see if they call.