Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Concrete Acid/Staining

Question

Celeste or others

On the house I'm building I was wondering about concrete staining/acid I forget what its called. What Im thinking is doing the concrete slad in the kitchen & attached small area just outside of the kitchen.

Do you do the slab or do you have to put another coat of cement. Any info on this

I'd like to do something different and exciting. Maybe?????

Thanks

Jeff

9 answers to this question

Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! I want to come help you!

Okay, if you get in at the right time, you can acid stain the actual slab to use as the visible floor treatment. Depending on what you want the final result to look like will depend on whether you add another microlayer of cement to the slab. Acid staining has a lot of variables - type of concrete, who pours it, grade of cement, etc... and with all of that comes the unpredictability of the results. The upside to doing this to the original slab is that you're not changing the original height of the floor only the slab itself and keeping that in mind, you can cover it very very easily if you don't like your result. The "resurfacing" that we do does consist of applying another coat of cement and either using an integrated color system or hand coloring with more than one color.

I'm not sure if what Jim does is the same - most acid staining is more alike than different but his overlays may have different methods and maybe he'll pipe in here as well :)

Celeste

Putting a microtopping on the slab would probably be a better choice than staining the slab that is there because I am sure there will be some imperfections that need to be addressed prior to staining. also if that is the plan you will need to let Derrick know so they can set the doors and trim accordingly. You could get my buddy steve to polish it for you that would look good with acid stain. One good thing if you ever get tired of it you can tile over it.

What about commercial applications such as dumpster pads with permanent discoloring due to various factors. Is there something that will restore that concrete to a consistent concrete color and be completely permanent. If there is how cost efficient is it? I don't know about staining for high traffic(vehicular) areas.

One drawback to the microcoatings is substrate cracking....since the overlay adheres to the substrate, even if we're stronger than the concrete, if the slab cracks, we're going with it. I don't think I've ever seen a dumpster pad without at least one crack. On those, I would be far more inclined to do acid staining than overlay but dark colors can be integrated if that were the choice of application. Either would be less maintenance dirtwise, but you'd still have to maintain your sealant.

Celeste

Celeste

On 1/23/2006 at 4:11 AM, Celeste said:

Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! I want to come help you!

Okay, if you get in at the right time, you can acid stain the actual slab to use as the visible floor treatment. Depending on what you want the final result to look like will depend on whether you add another microlayer of cement to the slab. Acid staining has a lot of variables - type of concrete, who pours it, grade of cement, etc... and with all of that comes the unpredictability of the results. The upside to doing this to the original slab is that you're not changing the original height of the floor only the slab itself and keeping that in mind, you can cover it very very easily if you don't like your result. The "resurfacing" that we do does consist of applying another coat of cement and either using an integrated color system or hand coloring with more than one color.

I'm not sure if what Jim does is the same - most acid staining is more alike than different but his overlays may have different methods and maybe he'll pipe in here as well :)

Celeste

Has anyone or known of anyone whom has Acid Stained their concrete flooring? We are seriously considering this in our bottom story. From our research it appears this is a very long lasting, rather inexpensive to do flooring; with what appears as beautiful results. We will probadly have to travel all the way to Springfield MO to purchase this stain; unless someone knows of a place it is sold in North Arkansas. We looked at Lowes and Home Depot and they do not carry the Acid Stain just the topical stain. IF you have done this WHAT are the Do's and Don'ts that we may advoid. And WHAT were your results? Are you pleased with them? Thanks...  acid staining raleigh

Edited by jobalthough

On 12/4/2022 at 5:11 PM, jobalthough said:

Has anyone or known of anyone whom has Acid Stained their concrete flooring? We are seriously considering this in our bottom story. From our research it appears this is a very long lasting, rather inexpensive to do flooring; with what appears as beautiful results. We will probadly have to travel all the way to Springfield MO to purchase this stain; unless someone knows of a place it is sold in North Arkansas. We looked at Lowes and Home Depot and they do not carry the Acid Stain just the topical stain. IF you have done this WHAT are the Do's and Don'ts that we may advoid. And WHAT were your results? Are you pleased with them? Thanks...  acid staining arkansas

no response to this

On 12/4/2022 at 7:11 AM, jobalthough said:

Has anyone or known of anyone whom has Acid Stained their concrete flooring? We are seriously considering this in our bottom story. From our research it appears this is a very long lasting, rather inexpensive to do flooring; with what appears as beautiful results. We will probadly have to travel all the way to Springfield MO to purchase this stain; unless someone knows of a place it is sold in North Arkansas. We looked at Lowes and Home Depot and they do not carry the Acid Stain just the topical stain. IF you have done this WHAT are the Do's and Don'ts that we may advoid. And WHAT were your results? Are you pleased with them? Thanks...  acid staining raleigh

Being a pressure washing forum, this falls a little into the niche service and not many offer this as it is a rare service for these professionals.
I would look into concrete installers and such for patios first and see if they would do work inside the home.

Rod & Beth

On 12/5/2022 at 6:54 PM, Beth n Rod said:

Being a pressure washing forum, this falls a little into the niche service and not many offer this as it is a rare service for these professionals.
I would look into concrete installers and such for patios first and see if they would do work inside the home.

Rod & Beth

Also thank you for your suggestion acid staining orlando