Sign in to follow this  
Andrew07

Brick Washing

Question

Hello all I am bidding on brick building cleanup for new construction, and I am also new to brick cleaning, does anyone have any good tips or recommendations, (I have already found the right chemical NMD 80, and have done allot of research), but need some ballpark pricing help, I am in the Chicago area, I would appreciate it, Thank You and God Bless, Andy

PS I have a skid pressure washer, with heat, 3000 PSI, I think it is 4.5 GPM,

Thanks again:lgkick:, sorry about this guy, lol

23 answers to this question

Delco Cleaning Systems pricing guide says the average is .10 to .25 cents a square foot. I don't do new construction brick myself, I'm sure others will chime in but this gives you an idea.

Actually, Brent, it's about .18 sq ft, which is a little low but if you're coming after a really good mason, is a doable figure.

1000 bricks is approximately 166 sq ft so at .18 / sq, you get 29.88 per thousand.

We have decided against using the per 1000 estimate for a couple of reasons. When you get to a new construction site there are broken bricks EVERYWHERE. The mason bills the contractor for bricks used in places that you won't be cleaning (footers) so you really can't ever be sure that the figure you get is going to be accurate. We always measure and use the sq foot rule so that our bililng is fair and to make sure we have enough product. Builders that use a per 1000 billing rate are just doing the quickest math they can do to budget :)

Celeste

I would not consider cleaning any brick for .18. I just picked up one with 67K sf at $.30/sf.

Andrew if you have never cleaned it before you may want to watch someone before you do. You could very easily loose your a$$ if you're not careful. Delco's price guide is by far inaccurate in this line of work. There is more to consider than spraying chemicals on and rinsing it off. You will probably have to do some scraping and rubbing in some areas. You can call me if you have any questions.

Logistics are absolutely going to play into these estimates. For a commercial job in Chicago, no way would I dream of .18/sq. Where Scott is, things are less. I also indicated that .18 had some strings attached, ie, an excellent mason as well as making an assumption that it was a residential job. I'm also putting residential pricing for NC there.....commercial work here does start at .30 and up.

Celeste

Actually, Brent, it's about .18 sq ft, which is a little low but if you're coming after a really good mason, is a doable figure.

1000 bricks is approximately 166 sq ft so at .18 / sq, you get 29.88 per thousand.

I should of kept my mouth shut!! I"OPEN MOUTH...INSERT FOOT" was thinking 1000 square feet and not 1000 bricks

I am so amazed at myself sometimes, as I think I know or have some idea what I "THINK" I know and in reality.......... I should have sat in the corner with mouth closed and just listened politely!!!

Those damn shoes are getting way toooo big and don't taste good

Thanks guys for all your great replies,

That’s weird because the local chemical shop here told me $1-2 per square foot, do you think this is way off, since all the prices you guys are telling me are allot lower? Or for Chicago they might be right on?

Jim said,

“Andrew if you have never cleaned it before you may want to watch someone before you do,”

Yes that is what I was thinking to do, anyone willing to take me in for a day, free helper!, I am willing to drive a little, I am sure it would be a great experience.

The job is 12,000 square feet including in windows and doors and 10,000 without windows and doors, the brick is Williamsburg colonials (I hope they are an easy cleanup), normally do you guys take out windows and garage doors for the quote, or this included since you are cleaning them also?

Would you rent a lift since the job is 30' tall or use the xjet?

Jim said,

“You can call me if you have any questions.”

Thanks I really appreciate it I might take you up on that offer.

Thanks all you replies

Considering your experience you may be able to finish in two days. xjet with a proportioner is a must have to your arsenal. the height of the building will make a difference because if you are working out of a lift it will slow production down. also depending on the work quality of the masons. if their are soldier courses or rowlocks with mortar on top they will have to be scraped and rubbed down prior to cleaning.

Hey, even hating cold Chicago weather, I'd come help for those prices :) If you can't catch Jim by phone (probably unlikely :)), Roger does a good amount of brick work as well

Celeste

Roger and I could come and split the dollar, I would be up for that. we could do it in a day.

andrew to give you an idea, i have done buildings that size in one day. But the amount of windows, doors, medallions, keys, etc. play a factor in amount of time. post some pics if you can, also how high is building. one thing to look out for is inside corners with mortar pile up above grade level. grade level is the level at which soil will be backfilled. I always find out where this grade is going to be because the stuff below grade does not need to be cleaned.

I got ahead of myself and missed where you said it was thirty feet tall. I would charge your rate and have the contractor provide the lift at his expense. I posted a pic of a building with 15,000 sf, I'll see if i can find it and link it in this thread.

I just got off the phone with Jim Carroll, very helpful and knowledgeable guy, thanks again for your time Jim, also thanks again CarolinaProWash and others for posting helpful information. I really hope I get this job it would be a great experience, even though I would have to probably do it in this cold weather, but it is not too bad today about 40-45 degrees, but with my luck it will be 10 degrees or colder out when I have to do the job.

$25-$30 per 1000 standard is common for the southern Ohio area.

With standard size brick, we figure 7 per square foot or 142 sq ft per 1000.

One watchout on commercial is they frequently use oversize bricks, in which case your sq ft would increase.

Yes, per 1000 is the common language used by builders, and we don't mind

if the broken/unused bricks are included in the price, though we never clean them.

This job is killing me, seems like I have to scape almost everything even the smaller smears, brick job was completed about two months ago, I suspect this is one reason for being so tuff in coming off, guy is also very picky, that does not help, lol, I will post pics when I am done, any other tips would help but I dont know what else could be done? thanks, Andy