Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

A perspective; Do we really understand?

The following is an example set of different words used in our business language.

Professional adj. 1. of, engaged in, or worthy of the high standards of, a profession. 2. designating or of a school, esp. a graduate school, offering instruction in a profession 3. earning one's living from an activity, such as a sport, not normally thought of as an occupation. 4. engaged in by professional players [professional hockey] 5. engaged in a specified occupation for pay or as a means of livelihood [ a professional writer] 6. being such in the manner of one practicing a profession [a professional hatemonger] -n 1. a person practicing a profession 2. a) a person who engages in some art, sport, etc. for money, esp. for his livelihood, rather than as a hobby b) a golfer, tennis player, etc. affiliated with a particular club as a contestant, teacher, and the like: usually clipped to pro 3. a person who does something with great skill

Conflict of interest a conflict between one's obligation to the public good and one's self interest, as in the case of a public officeholder who owns stock in a company seeking government contracts

Integrity n 1. the quality or state of being complete; unbroken condition; wholeness; entirety 2. the quality or state of being unimpaired; perfect condition; soundness 3. the quality or state of being of sound moral principle; uprightness, honesty, and sincerity - syn. see HONESTY

Ethical adj. 1. having to do with ethics or morality; of or conforming to moral standards 2. conforming to the standards of conduct of a given profession or group 3. designating or or a drug obtainable only on a doctor's prescription -syn. see MORAL

Ethics n.pl. 1. the study of standards of conduct and moral judgment; moral philosophy 2. a treatise on this study 3. the system or code of morals of a particular person, religion, group, profession, etc.

Respect vt. 1. a) to feel or show honor or esteem for; hold in high regard b) to consider or treat with deference or dutiful regard 2. to show consideration for; avoid intruding upon or interfering with [to respect others' privacy] 3. to concern; relate to -n 1. a feeling of high regard, honor, or esteem [to have respect for a great artist] 2. a state of being held in honor or esteem [to have the respect of one's sons] 3. deference or dutiful regard [respect for the law] 4. consideration; courteous regard [to have respect for the feelings of others] 5. [pl.] courteous expressions of regard: now chiefly in pay one's respects to show polite regard by visiting or presenting oneself 6. a particular point or detail

respect[/b]] 7. reference; relation [with respect to the problem] -syn. see REGARD

Respectable adj. 1. worthy of respect or esteem; estimable 2. conforming to socially acceptable behavior, attitudes, taste, etc.; proper; correct 3. fairly good in quality; of moderate excellence [a respectable meal] 4. fairly large in size, number, or amount [a respectable score] 5. good enough to be seen, used, etc.; presentable [a respectable pair of shoes]

Quality n. 1. any of the features that make something what it is; characteristic element; attribute 2. basic nature; character; kind 3. the degree of excellence which a thing possesses 4. excellence; superiority 5. [now rare] position, capacity, or role 6. a) [archaic] high school position b) [archaic or Dial.] people of high social position

will post more as time allows.

Rod!~

I find this type of information useful because it helps me to use the language more effectively, improve communication and helps to avoid confusion or misunderstanding.

I have noticed that some of these words have been used in a context incongruent with their definition which is the primary reason why I started this thread. Don't even get me started on the bastardization of some words that only add to the problems we now have in maintaining open lines of communication.

I invite others to contribute their examples as well of misuses of the language for consideration of the community. It is the hopes that we will all take the time and learn to communicate better and be more effective in the time we actually spend communicating to develop better working relationships and friendships in the process.

Rod!~