Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Motivational Speech

OK Motivational speech coming up.:rolleyes:

I share alot of pictures and my experiences with you all, not to brag or even not to show off my work. The TGS and others are a place I can share with others that have some of the same business interest and I like that, hell I love this place & this biz

I get some helpful & very nice responses from you all and I thank you, for allowing me to bore you all with my babbling

Im looking back now on my biz life since Im coming up on my 2 year anniversary of going fulltime. I went fulltime March 2004.

Now I want to tell you all, mainly the newbies or the guys that been in it for a little while but now want to grow. It can be done

Alot of you have heard all or part of my story. You know the stuff, like was crazy partier for years, waited till 39 to get married & have children, no real education, not a great speaker or saleman. Not mechanically inclined at all, etc etc etc

Well 2 years ago I took a big leap, before that I had hunted down 2 property managers of 2 dirty properties, each one took over 9months to a year to get the jobs. Well I got the OK to do the 2 big jobs in Feb 2004 and started one in March2004 and then the other one was scheduled for June 2004 and I had an alright residential biz that I knew would fill up at least 4-6 months of the year. I was worried that I might not have enough work to support my family comfortably, but I had to go full time because I couldnt do these to big jobs parttime. It was a complex of 32 buildings & one of 35 buildings

Now let me get to my point, finally, Ya right

I see alot of guys out here with motivation and some great ideas. You can do this. I did these 2 big complexes in 2004 with 2 cold water 4gpm machines and 1 rental machine, I had no employees except a kid who worked sometimes for me and he quit 3 days before the big job. I freaked and was VERY scared and almost gave up. My wife said Jeff you can do it, hire a temp and do it yourself if you have to. Here I was no workers and 32 buildings to clean, I called my brother in law who worked nights and who helped me many times PWing, I asked him to work this job with me and asked him if he knew of anybody that wanted a job, I was paying $10 an hr. Well My Bro In Law worked & he found a freind of a freind who wasnt working and I hired a Labor Ready guy. I taught them what to do and we finished the job. I couldnt believe it. The property loved us!!!!! That was the start of something big!!!

Now Im sort of in the same boat. I have 2 fulltime guys but it looks like enough work were I'll have to hire for several months a couple more fulltime guys or more, I'll need moe equipment etc etc. I stress, but not to the point of hurting me. I just want to be the best and not screw up and I want to do all this work on time & great.

I will do it, why? because I WANT IT!!!!

Do you want it bad enough to spend, hours, days , weeks yes years to secure the work. Then you have to work it, live it!!!

I see the post on marketing & on equipment. You dont have to be the saleman of the year or have all the biggest and best machines, althou it would help. Ive rented equipment and Ive done some very low cost marketting and its worked and it can work for you guys

Residential or commercial what ever you want to do, you can get the work, but you HAVE TO invest time to get the work ALOT of time. The work itself in a few months you can be a pro, almost! With these BB's what you dont know you can learn from those here. But getting the work is the hard part right?

I have no fancy brouchures, no smooth sales pitch. You have to show the people you want their work and tell them what you can do for them.

Alright what are you doing to gear up for this year? Alright you have 1000 post cards, your in one newspaper your ready to start your advertising blitz, Its NOT ENOUGH!!!

You cant afford to do more you have to afford it. You have a computer make up some simple cheesy fliers, buy a roll of stamps every other week and send fliers out now and dont stop for a few months, spring thru summer. Newspaper ads expensive, look for neighborhood newsletters, go to neighborhoods and pull up to a home owner and ask them if they have a neighborhood newsletter. Ask the person if you gave them a cheap price on a roof cleaning & house wash could you use them as a sales tool. Do the job, but before you do it, drive around the whole neighborhod and write down every address, make a flier and invite the people to come watch you work.

My wife and I drove around neighborhoods and would write down thousands of addresses and then we would fill out envolopes by had and mail them, I mean thousands of them. I didnt know how to do it any other way at the time, neither of of were good with the computer, we did it all by hand. You get one job, do it geat and ask the people to help you out getting more work. Be sincere, tell them please tell your freinds, neighbors & family about you

I posted fliers in supermarkets, put up inexpensive door hangers, drpped cards every doctors office store that I could find an empty spot. I sent over 10,000 fliers and postcards 2 years in a row.

You cant do a little advertising you have to alot for at least a couple years to get established some what.

Commercial, youve heard me say it before, write, fax, call all the fricking time. You get a job call & thank them and ask for more work, look on the net for companies and write, fax, call. Your afraid to talk to them cold call over the phone, leave message(s) on their voice mail, that way they get the message and you dont have to talk to them directly at first. My faxes are simple black & white on my computer, look unprofessional maybe but they work

My motavation for my biz is I dont ever want to work for anybody again and I want to support and care for my family and be comfortable

Well Im going to end this. Its Saturday morning and we go to start the big job today. OH ya you'll have to work alot of hours. But now theres many times I send my guys to do the work and I either try to relax, take a nap or Im calling writing & faxing

Im lucky with the area Im in theres a ton of work, but unless you live in the back woods thers plenty of work out there, you just have to find it and let them know your here to do it

GOOD LUCK and do it and do more!!!! Its out there you just have to make up your mind if you really want it. This goes for the guy who just wants to suppliment their income or wants it fulltime, one man operation or if you want a crew or 2.

I love this biz and it shows to my customers

Oh ya Ive been up since 4 am I worked on 2 proposals and faxed 15 PM's companies

You all know Im not an expert on all this, but I work hard at it.

I'll shut up now got to get ready for work:lgjump:

Thank you everybody for your help and some of the nice comments

JL

JL

Thanks Jeff,

This is a very important speech that many could use at this point in time to help them get on their way.

You have echoed the same drive and determination of those who have made up their minds and committed to the decision to control their own lives and make a business grow. You will be successful and it shows.

I hope that others find inspiration from your speech and find their own success.

Again, Thank you for your contributions past present and future. :)

Rod!~

There's nothing like waking up on a Saturday, sitting down at the computer with a 'Hooters' cup full of coffee and reading one of Jeff's big ass speaches. Jeff, your speaches always inspire me because it's all from the heart. Sometimes when I read your speaches I'll express certain words louder and with a deep voice and stand up and start yelling like a motivational speaker would. My wife thinks I'm nuts but it's all in fun, but I tell her that will be me someday I just have to keep after it and not give up. Thanks for sharing all your experience for us to learn from.

First of all Jeff. No real education?? you are dissing my devils...

Often times it is not the guy that is fast out of the chute that is done. He will burn up and die quick. It is often the guy that puts one foot in front of the other, learns a little bit at each job and keeps on going. That is the guy that knows it is going to take work and is willing to put out the continuous effort. Now, you will have to excuse me, I am short on employees and have a bunch of Belly DUmps to wash...

Jeff,

I love the fire in your belly. You're right. Giving 100% of yourself and you very best efforts is critical to the success of any startup.

Thank you for spreading your words of motivation. We would all do well to make sure our personal belly fires always remain lit.

Beth

Thanks everybody, I just thought Id post this now, because its getting to be that time of year for most. Spring is coming and its CLEANING TIME. Beth 100% that says it all!!!

You know something was said to me today from one of the guys from the BB. Me and my crew were working the big project we just started today, there I was me, my 2 guys and a day laboror. We busted hump all week on the high rise and now started this job on a Saturday. It started raining at about 11am, not a downpour but enough to make it uncomfortable, we kept working because we are on a limited time frame to get this job done.

Well Neil from Ashville stopped by, he was in the area buying something and visiting family, and he stopped by to see me. Never met him before, nice guy!!!

Now we were talking about PWing for a minute and its still raining @ 2pm I'm soaking wet and Neil said PWing is FUN, you know he's right.:dance: Here I am soaking wet and I really didnt mind it at all, I was having FUN, PWing isnt hard work, you have hard long days but it is FUN and thats why I love this biz, I can have FUN doing the work, FUN getting positive feed back from the customer, FUN to be able help support my workers & their families, FUN to accomplish something, FUN to collect the money.:lgmoneyey

Thanks Neil for mentioning FUN to me on this rainy day

What a great day

Man it takes me some time to get to the point LOL

JL

There's nothing like waking up on a Saturday, sitting down at the computer with a 'Hooters' cup full of coffee and reading one of Jeff's big ass speaches. Jeff, your speaches always inspire me because it's all from the heart. Sometimes when I read your speaches I'll express certain words louder and with a deep voice and stand up and start yelling like a motivational speaker would. My wife thinks I'm nuts but it's all in fun, but I tell her that will be me someday I just have to keep after it and not give up. Thanks for sharing all your experience for us to learn from.

Thats funny Barry, your wifes right, you are nuts!!!!!:lgwave:

Good glad someone the U.S.A. had fun today!!!...because I had a redo today. Lgangry

The guy was a fanatic!!!!!!!!!!!

Did the job in 2 days instead of 3 like he thoght it should have taken and I (the boss) was not there the whole time.

Man the realy rips me off.

Had a very confusins day on thur. This fanatic called and said bla bla bla and said that so and so washing co. was better then us.

2 hours later I talk to another customer that has the same kind of work talking about scheduling another washing, and I say that man I', terribly busy right then (really don't like doing this work) and the man say ah come on we like your wash quality better than the other companies... the same people that the other fella had just got done runing in the dirt!!! We talked for awhile and come to find out that I was $1100 higher then the other washing co. but he still wanted us. Go figure!!!!

I guess momma said we woud have them days!! Just makes you feel like crap!!!! :banghead:

Sorry I got off the topic here, but had to air out somewhere!!!

I'm ready for sping and more :sunshine:

Thanks for sharing Jeff!!! Love your posts!!!

Good glad someone the U.S.A. had fun today!!!...because I had a redo today. Lgangry

The guy was a fanatic!!!!!!!!!!!

Did the job in 2 days instead of 3 like he thoght it should have taken and I (the boss) was not there the whole time.

Man the realy rips me off.

Had a very confusins day on thur. This fanatic called and said bla bla bla and said that so and so washing co. was better then us.

2 hours later I talk to another customer that has the same kind of work talking about scheduling another washing, and I say that man I', terribly busy right then (really don't like doing this work) and the man say ah come on we like your wash quality better than the other companies... the same people that the other fella had just got done runing in the dirt!!! We talked for awhile and come to find out that I was $1100 higher then the other washing co. but he still wanted us. Go figure!!!!

I guess momma said we woud have them days!! Just makes you feel like crap!!!! :banghead:

Sorry I got off the topic here, but had to air out somewhere!!!

I'm ready for sping and more :sunshine:

Thanks for sharing Jeff!!! Love your posts!!!

Thank God there's more good days than bad. Tomorrows another day, Have a good one!!!!!

Often times it is not the guy that is fast out of the chute that is done. He will burn up and die quick. It is often the guy that puts one foot in front of the other, learns a little bit at each job and keeps on going. That is the guy that knows it is going to take work and is willing to put out the continuous effort.

This is a very true statement!!

You have to cultivate your customers, you have to build on a relationship. Just because you get a good lead & you do the job great, doesnt mean your going to be the only one a PM or any customer will call. It can be a long slow process.

Just like any friendship or relationship, trust is one of the hardest things in a relationship. Its just like the man or women thats had bad relationships (Not me all my exgirlfriends love me, Ya right lol), they are'nt always trusting of that next person they date, we'll customers, many people have been burnt by contractors, you hear the stories all the time.

So when your talking to customers , PM's, builders you have to start off thinking these people may like what your saying, but can they really trust you in their mind. Be professional, give a good impression the 1st time you meet with someone and every other time you meet & talk with them.

Like Scott said the guy fast out of the chute, who comes on strong, promises the customer the world and doesnt deliver will burn. Be honest and sincere, always make sure you can deliver on what you offer, always be professional and always do good work and do it when you say your going to do it and you can & will be a success

I've told you all before I've had more than a few PM's tel me they can trust me. I was floored the 1st time I heard this from a PM that works for a very large PM company. Someone saying they trust you I think is one of the biggest compliment a person and/or a company can get.

So when your out there trying to secure work, think of the job, the customer and the sales pitch, but think of the word trust. If you gain the trust of your customers over time, the sky is the limit

Man all the nice comments you all have said to me on these stories I write, is going to my head. Maybe I'll become a Motivational speaker, go to businesses, colleges, auditoriums, WORLD TOUR!!!!

OH YA I'm afraid to talk in front of a crowd, NEVER MIND:eek:

After reading your post I got to thinking about some things (yea, I think sometimes). I was thinking about following up on bids, leads, and calling old customers. I thought this would be a good thread to mention it in. after reading your thread and thinking about this, I have records of all my faxed quotes from 2 years ago, so I just refaxed all of those people a simple note to let them know that I was still in business and was thinking about them. one thing that made me feel good was that one of the numbers I faxed was no longer any good. I was thinking maybe it was a good thing I did not do a job for that guy. Not wishing him any bad luck, he could have just changed his fax number. I also emailed a group that I had targeted a while back. It has been said that it takes 7 times for some one to recognize you. I also got to thinking a little more. The next idea that I will share is this. I have all of these guys in a particular folder for email. I am going to send them and email and picture every time I finish a job. This way it keeps my name in front of them and it also shows them the work that I am doing.

Another thing that made me think about sending these faxes was a called that I received and the guy asked me if I was still in business and cleaning. so i thought I would keep letting everyone know that I am around and maybe at some point they will remember and eventually do some work with them.

I work in the construction market and it may be different for other aspects of pressure washing but sounded like a good idea to me.

I remember when Jeff went full time, he told then and tells me know to go full time. My wife has been at home with our children for the last 6 years and she just returned to work recently. she is selling real estate now. so hopefully with her returning to work it will ease cash flow and allow me to go full time soon.

Anyhow everyone keep posting ideas, even if you think that what your are posting is mindless blabbering some of us may think that it is not. I feel like I have been blabbering long enough.

I sure did enjoy spending some time yesterday with Jeff. It was one of those drenching rains. Today in MB was COLD...much colder and windier than yesterday. He's the real thing. We all know that, though. Need more Jeff's in this world. I'm surprised he didn't mention his barrel tile experience!

cheers,

/neil

I sure did enjoy spending some time yesterday with Jeff. It was one of those drenching rains. Today in MB was COLD...much colder and windier than yesterday. He's the real thing. We all know that, though. Need more Jeff's in this world. I'm surprised he didn't mention his barrel tile experience!

cheers,

/neil

It was cool meeting you Neil, I cant wait to see you get the ball rolling big time, your a smart man, you'll be an assest to PWing in your area. Cant wait to see your trailer & rig all set up

I mentioned the tile roof in another post, Neils talking about the job we started Saturday. I had to get up on a tile roof to get a little steeple. Well I just had never been on a tile roof. Its was like walking on flippin egg shells. Im used to running around on roofs, Sure cant do that on tile roofs, I swear Im never doing one of those Damn tile roofs, I'll end up owning the roof when Im done breaking them all. Don P and the rest of the Florida guys can have them. If I ever get a complex of tile roofs Im subbing it out

JL

After reading your post I got to thinking about some things (yea, I think sometimes). I was thinking about following up on bids, leads, and calling old customers. I thought this would be a good thread to mention it in. after reading your thread and thinking about this, I have records of all my faxed quotes from 2 years ago, so I just refaxed all of those people a simple note to let them know that I was still in business and was thinking about them. one thing that made me feel good was that one of the numbers I faxed was no longer any good. I was thinking maybe it was a good thing I did not do a job for that guy. Not wishing him any bad luck, he could have just changed his fax number. I also emailed a group that I had targeted a while back. It has been said that it takes 7 times for some one to recognize you. I also got to thinking a little more. The next idea that I will share is this. I have all of these guys in a particular folder for email. I am going to send them and email and picture every time I finish a job. This way it keeps my name in front of them and it also shows them the work that I am doing.

Another thing that made me think about sending these faxes was a called that I received and the guy asked me if I was still in business and cleaning. so i thought I would keep letting everyone know that I am around and maybe at some point they will remember and eventually do some work with them.

I work in the construction market and it may be different for other aspects of pressure washing but sounded like a good idea to me.

I remember when Jeff went full time, he told then and tells me know to go full time. My wife has been at home with our children for the last 6 years and she just returned to work recently. she is selling real estate now. so hopefully with her returning to work it will ease cash flow and allow me to go full time soon.

Anyhow everyone keep posting ideas, even if you think that what your are posting is mindless blabbering some of us may think that it is not. I feel like I have been blabbering long enough.

Jim keeps telling me, He's going to be the King & me the queen. I dont know about Jim , He called the other day and asked if I wanted to go see Brokeback Mountain:lglolly: ONLY KIDDING

Jim with all your connections and the great work you do on new brick. You be the King of brick & beyond. Once the wife starts selling a bunch of homes you'll be fulltime and love it, everything has its time.

Good Idea to contact the old contacts, I bet you get some calls and $$$$$ out of just something as simple as faxing & emailing. Go for it man

I'll be talking to you

JL

HEY What Does The Fax For Property Managers Say

Hire Me or Else, lol

Heres some of the fliers I fax & mail, real simple. I send them to Pm's Ive never worked for and ones I have. It keeps my name in front of them. I know it works, Ive gotten calls that said I was thinking about calling you, then I got your flier/note. I send these every 2-4 months or something like it. I change them up all the time. Not pretty and not expensive, but effective

JL

Sent out some emails on Sunday evening after the post above, Only about 3-4 that were targeted to the decision makers(had names & email addresses). Got a call and email Monday morning at 8:00 asking for pricing on a project for a company that I have wanted to do work for, for some time now. They should be worth about $20k/ year to me.

Sent out some emails on Sunday evening after the post above, Only about 3-4 that were targeted to the decision makers(had names & email addresses). Got a call and email Monday morning at 8:00 asking for pricing on a project for a company that I have wanted to do work for, for some time now. They should be worth about $20k/ year to me.

Hey Jim

Since I sort of gave you the idea to email these companies do I get a percentage of that 20K? :lgsideway

JL

Great post Jeff. You motivate me too.

I was in MB Sat and would have stopped by had I known where you were working.

Bill

Bill,

Next give me a call would like to meet you

Have a good one!!

JL