Sign in to follow this  
Jarrod

Best cleaner for fabris awnings

I have searched the forums for a clear choice for a fabric awning cleaner & I can't seem to find one. The awnings I'm doing are very dirty, & loaded with bird poop. They are made out of canvas or some kind of fabric. What is the best cleaner for this job? Thank you in advance.

I clean a Sweet Tomatoes restuarunat annually, and I clean them with my regular house wash solution (bleach and Emulsifer Plus) and they look great everytime. I've heard people say that bleach can weaken the stitching and what not, but I've been cleaning these this way for a couple of years without any problems.

I prefer winsol products. I have cleaned upteen awnings with them. I like a few of the starbrite poducts such as "black streak remover". Bleach is never good for an awning unless you want them to degrade & die in a couple of years. Go to the Winsol website for guidance on application & sealing. Typically canvas awnings are harder to clean than the vinyl. I did have a few photos on this site a couple of years a go (before & after). I think they have vanished with the website being updated a few times.

Try & pick off the bird poo before starting, as wetting it leads to more problems. I never use a pressure washer, just a soft brush and water fed pole cleaning equipment. Pressure washers will stretch the fabric and will lead to unslightly bulges in the fabric.

I think Tony is saying he cleaned them with a pressure washer.

Its o.k. if you reduce the pressure washer down to a level where it is not damaging the awning. As I stated, eventually the pressure will make the awning sag over time. These relatively small awnings are stretched quite close together so the effect is not noticeable. Try doing a 6 metre stretch of awning with a high pressure washer & see it go!

Most manufacturers recommend never to use pressure washers on them, just a pressure similar to what comes out of the faucet.

I think Tony is saying he cleaned them with a pressure washer.

Its o.k. if you reduce the pressure washer down to a level where it is not damaging the awning. As I stated, eventually the pressure will make the awning sag over time. These relatively small awnings are stretched quite close together so the effect is not noticeable. Try doing a 6 metre stretch of awning with a high pressure washer & see it go!

Most manufacturers recommend never to use pressure washers on them, just a pressure similar to what comes out of the faucet.

.......:rolleyes:.........

Hi Ron, you are correct, he never wrote that he power washed them thats why I wrote "I think".

He also has a huge power washing wand next to his name & only promotes pressure washing on his web site. Perhaps you are right...who knows...Tony?

What signature would you like?

karlosdaze.....please review the rules of the bbs for instructions on how to construct your signature.

Thanks,

Celeste

Thanks for the info, now updated my signature. I've left my direct contact details out to due to spamming on a huge level on other similar forums. Anyone who wishes to contact me can by pm or through an easy search on google with the details on my signature.

I have cleaned LOTS of awnings over the last couple of years. The best advice I can give to you is to research & learn about the different types of material used for awnings. Awning Cleaning is not really easy work, you have to use a scrub brush & rinse with low pressure.Some are vinyl, some are canvas type (Sunbrella brand) etc. I have used different chemicals. If you check out Sunbrella's web site, they have a recipe for cleaning. I have tried several of the cleaners on the market, like pw chems, some worked better for me than others did. The biggest sales point you need to make with awning cleaning is SEALING. Without sealing the fabric, the customer is only getting a job that is half done. Emphasize to the customer that after cleaning the fabric, there is no sealer left on the fabric, so deterioration of the fabric will be accelerated.

OK,

Been gone for awhile. No, I did not clean those awnings using only a power washer.

I used a cleaning mix that started with Winsol products, and added a few of my own propietary items to the mix to achieve the performance I needed.

Brushing....and lots of it is required to properly clean awnings. A power washer is of course useful for rinsing, as long as the proper nozzle is used. A #12 served the purpose very well, without causing damage.

We cleaned 92 awnings like the ones pictured, and they all came out beautiful without any damage.

Oh, and just because I have a power washing wand in my logo doesn't mean that's all I use to clean stuff.

But you also stated that you had used one on these awnings - "No, I did not clean those awnings using only a power washer."

So my assumption was correct.

Don't you also find that too much brushing can wear away the weave? Thats why looking for the perfect chemical can make life a lot easier. I would like to know more about the effectiveness of this F13, if anyone has used it.

i am attaching a couple of pics of awnings that i want to clean this weekend. this is one of my commercial accounts (ok, it's my only commercial account) that i do their sidewalks and trash area. they pay me well...gift certificates for the best seafood around. the owner has not mentioned the awnings to me so i want to surprise him with some clean ones. i'm ready for a peck of steamed oysters so if you guys have any advice on cleaning this then i owe you one. i don't really time to order any products so it will have to be sometime i can get over the counter or check my stock.

thanks in advance,

rando

I have a 400SF awning to bid on and I would like some help with dfferent chems. I would like to use my house wash (Wild Cherry) since I will be doing the house and I cant possibly clean the house without getting the awning. I can DS the mix on b ut I am a little worried about the strength. How weak should I go?