Sign in to follow this  
Able Hands

First deck strip

Question

Here are some pics of my first deck strip. Notice the stain in the top right of the first before pic. The homeowner thinks it's from a citronella candle that was tipped over. I was able to get the BBQ stains up with grill magic, but that stain is still there. Any one have any thoughts on what I can use.

The after pics aren't great, and they are obviously before staining.

After I was done with the cleaning I was talking to the homeowner about getting their grill off from the deck. They decided to have me install a set of steps on the side of the deck and put in a small patio for the grill. So, the new wood will have to be washed before I can do any staining anyway.

Plus, while I was talking with them about the new steps their 6 year old tracked copius amounts of mud up onto the cleaned deck. The whole deck needs to be rinsed at the least, and I'd like to get the candle wax up if I can.

Matt

Attatchments moved to post dated 04-12-16

44 answers to this question

First off, Rodney... good luck on your strip, behr can be nasty. I ran into a guy who applied behr three years in a row to his deck without cleaning it inbetween. I ended up using hd80 full strenght with boost and it still took two strips to take it off. Take your time and be patient. Oh, DONT PUT BEHR BACK ON!! I know they make oil and i think latex, not sure what you are dealing with but if the sample didnt touch it then its probably not oil. Keep us posted on how it comes out.

Second, what are the osbourne brushes? I have not seen these before.

Jon

Matt, looks good. Sometimes hard work is the only way to make something look great. Don't begrudge that, view it as a testament to your character. Lots of guys would have just stained over the fur. If you mixed HD 80 at 2 oz per gallon, and it sat only 5,6 minutes and furred like crazy, heres what may have happened.

1. Too much pressure. Water volume is what you want to depend on.

2. You accidentally mixed stronger than you thought.

3. Sometimes crap happens. If you already cleaned/stripped it before, it may have just been too much for the wood to handle. Today one of my guys freaked because some sodium percarb on a wall for 15-20 minutes, and rinsed with a soap tip; furred slightly. Sometimes something surprises you even after years in the biz. If nothing ever does, you're not out there enough.

by the way, an osborn brush at 3.5 would get you out of there at about 200 sqft/hr. They disperse the fuzz much better than any sandpaper I've ever used.

Jonathan,

http://www.theloghomestore.com/clean.shtml#buffing-brush

I will look into the sprayer, but I'll probably roll this if it won't go through a pump up.

I used a 4008 tip which should have gotten me down to around 800-1000 psi. Held the tip 6 inches away. Believe the problem to me really old wood.

House was built in 1986. At some point near to completion the deck was PAINTED. Since that time the boards were flipped. If there was any sealer (probably Thompsons) it would have been in 2003 or earlier. My friend has owned the house since '04 and the deck has never looked great... Until now!!

In my original before pics you'll see sort of a black outline in the center of the deck. That area is where the outdoor fireplace sits almost all the time. They keep the fireplace elevated off the deck surface on 4" solid cinder blocks, plus the height of the legs gets the thing about 8" off the deck. I think I have finally convinced them to get some sheet metal to put under the fireplace and on top of the cinder blocks to reflect some of the heat away from the deck. Once they saw the original before/after pics they recognized the damage they were doing. This area where the fireplace sits is also where all of the rain from the roof hits. No gutters. The deck boards in this area are all cupped with extremely raised grain.

Lastly, this deck gets full sun from about 10:30 on. The poor thing is baked.

Did't take any pics before I started sanding, but it was definitely lighter than the last strip.

Rodney, I'd like to help you on friday, but I have another job I'll be on.

Matt

FINALLY,

Thanks to everyone here, I have completed my first deck. I moved all of the pictures to this post for convenience.

Pics in order are beginning, not quite, middle, and the completed project in the next post (since I can only attach three pics in a single post).

While I am proud of my results on my first deck... Please feel free to shoot me down, and let me know of any imperfections seen in the photos.

I had way more overspray on the pickets than I was comfortable with, I cleaned it as best I could with mineral spirits on some and HD80 on others. My friend is painting everything anyway, so I wasn't sooo worried about it (nor was he). Is there anything I can do after the fact for over spray on painted pickets? For future reference I will brush in at least one more board width before I start spraying.

I've had a few beers in celebration so before I start blathering on about this thing... Here are the pics!!! And again please point out any screw ups I commited.

The final "AFTER" photos are in the following post.

Matt

post-1544-137772154537_thumb.jpg

post-1544-137772154542_thumb.jpg

post-1544-137772154547_thumb.jpg

I was back at my friends house last night for the birthday party.

They are unhappy with the color reults on the new steps that were installed. While the old wood looks great and they are extremely pleased with it, the steps look BRIGHT ORANGE. They stand out like a sore thumb. I was hoping it would calm down some, but each time I look at them, it looks worse.

So, how do I go about removing 2 coats of WTW, that is only a few days old? I'm guessing it won't be easy.

What should I put on the new wood to try and match it to the old wood a little better?

Matt

New wood is always lighter and brighter than aged wood. We are always very plain about that. You could sand them, then use the tint kit to go darker and try again. If you try to strip them, you risk compromising the other boards in my opinion.

Beth :cup: :groovy3:

The new steps are completely separated from the old decking. The deck is up against the house, and brick/concrete patio. Kind of hard to describe. Suffice it to say there is no worry of getting stripper on the old wood.

Matt

You could go full strength and apply by brush (HD-80). Apply a neutralizer to the adjacent boards before you wash to help neutralize anything that might get on there. It can be a challenge to strip WTW when new. You may still end up sanding some onto he return trip.

Beth

According to russell, there is no problem with applying a second coat of WTW to ad protection, or change a color. Why not just apply a second, darker coat to bring them in line with each other? The steps will take on a non skid characteristic with the second application, esp. when wet. Not a drawback in my opinion with steps....