Sign in to follow this  
mdspowerwashing

Poll: What type of pressure washing rig do you use?

What type (portable/trailer/truck) of pressure washer do you use?  

618 members have voted

1. 1. What type (portable/trailer/truck) of pressure washer do you use?

• Trailer Mounted
    • Portable Gas
    • Portable Electric
    • Truck or Van Mounted
    • Other

Question

Hi, I was just looking to see what type of pressure washer you guys use - Portable pressure washer , Trailer mounted rig, Box van/ truck mounted, or other.

I have a trailer mounted rig (delco 5.5gpm hot water) with 525 gallon tank, and I also have a portable 13hp 4gpm cold machine. I've been thinking lately, I do mostly house washing and decks, I usually pull my 18 foot pressure washing trailer. For most, if not all my jobs, I could just use the portable 13hp pressure washer. Do most you guys have trailer rigs, or just use a portable pressure washer?

I'm actually thinking of just selling the whole trailer mounted rig, and keeping my portable 13hp 4gpm machine, x jet, nozzles, wand, chemicals, ladder and just using it. Its kind of a pain to lug around a 18 foot trailer and back into some tight places, not to mention the extra wear on the truck, and decreased fuel milage. What do you guys think? Sell it or keep it? I know its nice to have 5.5gpm and the hot water, but I just don't seem to do a lot of concrete cleaning where I need the hot water.

Thanks, Matt

174 answers to this question

If your luck is any thing like mine, just as soon as you get rid of it you will run up on an opportunity that will require it. i have a cold water 4 gal min mounted on my trailer that will be nice to have if my main unit breaks in the middle of a job say like after you shoot the acid on a brick wall you are cleaning. I tried rinsing with the small machine after getting used to 5.5 gal machine and I could not believe the difference an extra 1.5 gpm made.

I went from 4gpm portable in a truck to a 5.5 skid on a trailer. Ocassionally, I have need to use the 4gpm machine still. The difference in ease and speed is phenomenal. I would NEVER go back willingly. Never.

FWIW, I do 100% residential with about 20% driveways.

I am on a 12' trailer right now, but am thinking of putting inside a van when I upgrade to a hot water skid this year with a 50 gallon water tank, and I am going to mount my 325 water tank on a small trailer to tow behind when I need the extra water.

I have a 5.6 gpm gear drive mounted in a 1 ton van with a bunck of equipment and my deck restoration stuff and a backup unit.

I have a hot water skid and a 4gmp gear drive backup unit in a trailer with my recovery equipment and a 325 gallon tank. we are puttng a filtration/recycle system in the trailer next week also. I will be doing a lot of work in the next few months where recovery is a must

Hi, I was just looking to see what type of pressure washer you guys use - Portable pressure washer , Trailer mounted rig, Box van/ truck mounted, or other.

I have a trailer mounted rig (delco 5.5gpm hot water) with 525 gallon tank, and I also have a portable 13hp 4gpm cold machine. I've been thinking lately, I do mostly house washing and decks, I usually pull my 18 foot pressure washing trailer. For most, if not all my jobs, I could just use the portable 13hp pressure washer. Do most you guys have trailer rigs, or just use a portable pressure washer?

I'm actually thinking of just selling the whole trailer mounted rig, and keeping my portable 13hp 4gpm machine, x jet, nozzles, wand, chemicals, ladder and just using it. Its kind of a pain to lug around a 18 foot trailer and back into some tight places, not to mention the extra wear on the truck, and decreased fuel milage. What do you guys think? Sell it or keep it? I know its nice to have 5.5gpm and the hot water, but I just don't seem to do a lot of concrete cleaning where I need the hot water.

Thanks, Matt

Matt, Let me know if you are going to put it up for sale.

thanks

Thanks, Matt

I think in your situation the best thing would be to drop the 525 water tank, and down size too a smaller trialer with a nice 25-50g float tank to back up your water supply. There's no logical reason to carry around a tank of that size, when all you do is residential. 12' trailer should allow for plenty of room without the tank.

It's funny, I just bought a rig from Scott(Flimmy) and it sucks so bad hauling around this trailer, but i love it. It is so much easier pulling hose off a reel and turning a key. I used to haul off a cold water machine off a truck, unroll 100 ft of hose and 75 ft of supply and have to constantly pull that damn cord to fire it up. Now I have the unloader pumped back into the tank so the washer can run for hours without pulling the trigger. I hate pulling the trailer,but it saves so much labor that it's unreal.

Portable Hydrotek CP35005VH cold water, with a 4.5 GPM AR belt driven pump. Only work on wood, so the machine is fine. Agree with Jamie though about loading and unloading the unit, unwinding hose etc. Takes time to set up and breakdown.

Unfortunately, live in a neighborhood that prohibits commercial vehicles and trailers. If I decide to grow the business, will have to rent at another location.

why not buy a small open trailer, set up with a reserve tank and reels and your portable machine for residential and keep your large enclosed trailer. you could probably get a 10-12' open trailer for around $700. I have a 10ft and it is pretty easy getting in tight spots. You can plumb your small machine just like your big one.

why not buy a small open trailer, set up with a reserve tank and reels and your portable machine for residential and keep your large enclosed trailer. you could probably get a 10-12' open trailer for around $700. I have a 10ft and it is pretty easy getting in tight spots. You can plumb your small machine just like your big one.

The problem in my area, is with an open trailer is equipment sometimes find legs and walk away. Its also nice to just close your trailer door at the end of a day and not worry about the weather.

I believe it to be a safety issue with chemicals and fuels on a open trailer that children and pets may get into.

In Arizona most units are on open trailers, we have no need to protect anything form the climate except the sun.

My fantasy machine would be mounted on a 18 foot flatbed diesel. I have three diesels but none flatbeds. My ford 400’s cant seem to get by a gas station.

I had a couple Chevy’s over the years and never really like them.

I pick up a couple a few years back at and auction. They have been less maintenance and less fuel to operate. Being a ford guy this is very tough to admit. Keep in mind I’m talking Chevy one tons Not half ton pick ups. Ford is much tougher than Chevy’s half tons.

I have still about 11 trailer units that I’m slowly getting rid of. I rent pw also so I will always keep a couple trailer units. When the trucks break down you can always tow a trailer.

If I lived back in the cold country I would want all aluminum trailers. No wood and certainly not steel. Of course all enclosed stuff to keep equipment protected.

I think in your situation the best thing would be to drop the 525 water tank, and down size too a smaller trialer with a nice 25-50g float tank to back up your water supply. There's no logical reason to carry around a tank of that size, when all you do is residential. 12' trailer should allow for plenty of room without the tank.

I concur. I'm 95% resi and I have a 5x14 with a 275 tote tank and it works great. I have a 5.5 skid, a 4gpm roll around (tied down), a 2x4 tool box, and roof for lances, buckets, 3 hose reels, etc. I had a 525 (still for sale - bargain basement), but it had too much of a foot print. I may yet go down to a 125'er for a float, but no smaller as I often run 2 guns (9gpm).

I carry a 4gpm 3000psi machine that sits on the tailgate of the pickup and works well for houses and machinery. I carry in the same pu a smaller 2000psi machine that I lift out and carry to do a deck area. With the pu I am able to get into very tight driveways and do not have to worry about traffic. Most if not all the houses and commercials I do have city water so there is sufficient pressure from the client.

Ron, you have 11 trailer units? I guess life's good in Arizona.

Tunatussle, I just learned that gpm is the key to all cleaning. I've actually known it for years but never had the funds to support it. Now that I have it, I'll never leave it. If you use your bigger machine at a lower psi with more hose you'll love the diff it makes.

[quoteRon, you have 11 trailer units? I guess life's good in Arizona.

]

I have been converting to flatbeds, I have two trailers being converted next week onto fords.

I have made some mistakes, I started using 1/4 inch diamond plate on earlier trailers. they where way to heavy, i thought.

I'm going back to the heavy diamond plate. the 1/8 rusted threw and i almost lost a chemical tank.

I stoped using wood years ago, Scott was driving behind me on the freeway and i got a call. your about to loose a hose reel. the wood had completely just fallen apart.

That was the day i started conversion.

I Have 350 Gallon Tank. 8.0 Gallon A Minute 24 Horse Machine On An Open Trailer. Hose Reels For Garden And Pw Hoses. Then I Have A 50 Gallon Tank With A Shurflo Pump For Degreasers And Chems..i Do Dumptrucks Every Week, 3 Shopping Plaza Customers,tge Rest Is Residential..and Paver Sealing

I just set up a 6x9 landscape type trailer to haul my 4gpm portable, 100 gallon tank for roof cleaning, 200' of chem hose, shurflo, batteries, some chems, and step ladder. The back of my truck was just getting too small. Funny thing is, I have all this stuff on my trailer now and the back of my truck is still full, pressure hoses that I still keep in a hand coils, same with garden hoses, ext ladder, extension pole, more chems, buckets, and tool box. I bet by next year I'll need a bigger trailer once I buy a surface cleaner, hose reels, and who knows what else. Sometimes it seems like all I do is spend money trying to get set up to make more money to spend. But man is it fun growing in this industry!

I just set up a 6x9 landscape type trailer to haul my 4gpm portable, 100 gallon tank for roof cleaning, 200' of chem hose, shurflo, batteries, some chems, and step ladder. The back of my truck was just getting too small. Funny thing is, I have all this stuff on my trailer now and the back of my truck is still full, pressure hoses that I still keep in a hand coils, same with garden hoses, ext ladder, extension pole, more chems, buckets, and tool box. I bet by next year I'll need a bigger trailer once I buy a surface cleaner, hose reels, and who knows what else. Sometimes it seems like all I do is spend money trying to get set up to make more money to spend. But man is it fun growing in this industry!

I know what you mean. It seems like everytime I upgrade my equipment, within a few months I need to upgrade again. I just hate ineffeciency, so any thing I can add to speed up my processes without sacrificing quality is hard to avoid.

Yep, never enough space.

Ranger became an F150

F150 became a 6x10 trailer (and a pickup).

6x10 became a 6x14.

6x14 got overhead racks.

Now I want a 7x16...

This year I've upgraded from a 5x8 open to a 7x12 enclosed. I like having the room to grow, pro look of a tandem, and getting everything under a roof. The gas mileage...lordy. In a year, though, like Philip Lance and others I'll probably post right back to this same thread saying I need more room!

The toughest transition for me has been having to use the MIRRORS to back this thing! Not looking over the right shoulder to go backwards is harder than it should be. Plenty of humbled moments lately....

Pouring rain here this morning...this makes it barely tolerable to put on the office duds and hold meetings all day. Looking forward to the 'day'...

Everyone have a super Friday.

Cheers,

post-1223-137772155064_thumb.jpg

I use a 12 x 6 tandem axle trailer.

5.6 GPM machine 24 horse over the wheels with a 55 gallon tank for water shortfall. 2 HP hose reels off the back, 200' and 50' and 100' reel of supply garden hose feeding a water softner then to the tank. Up front on the tounge is a tool box with all my lances and tools and odds and ends. Between the washer and tool box is my chems and my steel eagle plus road cones, etc. Along the side of the trailer is a 4" pvc pipe hosing long lances and extension poles.

Had a 300 gallon tank put proved to be overkill and took up to much room.

The toughest transition for me has been having to use the MIRRORS to back this thing! Not looking over the right shoulder to go backwards is harder than it should be. Plenty of humbled moments lately....

I was a shoulder guy until I gut the Just takes a few weeks. Once you get used to mirrors, you'll never go back to the old way...

never get rid of the hot water 5.5 ....hold on to it like your life depends on it ...i agree with a previous post i read ,downsize the water tank i would drop to a 225 and mount it all on a5 x 10 or 12,everything should fit easily ,image is a lot to some people and i feel the 225 tank + the hot washer and the cold washer should make for a nice uniform fit that should be pleasing to the eye and it will look more professional than a 50 or 100 gallon tankmounted the same way dont get me wrong it will work i just feel the customers first impression is important ....no offense to anyone its just an oponion

I have a 18 ft enclosed rolling billboard 6.3 gal per min landa with a 325 gal tank ,30 in steel eagle ,cones and all hoses stay on the trailer .3.5 gal MITIM cold stays on the truck (Dodge 2500) as a back up and for tight spots ,chems are loaded onto the truck daily as needed per job I try not to drive around with any extra weight if I don't have to. Going from 6.3 to 3.5 is such a huge difference in time savings .Time is $$$ Keep the rig