Sign in to follow this  
djcs0302

deck washing help

Question

Hello to all. I am new to the business. Only a couple of months since I started my own part time business. Things are going great so far. I have done several houses and also fleets that have turned out great. Customer was happy anyway. I have got my first deck cleaning coming up soon and I am kinda nervous. I have read so much on this forum and have learned alot but need help on deck cleaning. I did practice on my deck and was not impressed. In order to get it clean, I feel that I had to get too close with the pressure and now I can see uneven streaks in places as well as the wood looks furred in others. I was using zeps deck wash. Is there something you guys would suggest trying or doing that may help me on this one? How much actual pressure should I have to use if using a good cleaner? Thanks again.

11 answers to this question

Hi,

I know it something you guys in the States don't do, but I use my flat surface cleaner first, then lance afterwards on wooden decking. If it still looks kinda dirty, then chemical. It works for me, no furring or fuzzies. I use a cold water machine, but keep an eye on the PSI.

Roger

800 psi for top pressure - learn your nozzle sizes to attain proper pressure

Chemicals needed - sodium hydroxide based stripper (HD-80 of F-18 are good), EFC-38, some type of acidic ph Balancing brightener. You'll have to use the search button and do some research to find out where to order, which to use and when etc.

Homeowner products available at a home store give homeowner results.

In theory, yes. Try dropping the pressure with a nozzle, and see the difference. Getting closer allows the water particles to stay tighter on impact, giving you a net larger effect than shooting with high powered mist.

Phillip, our resident applied physics graduate, can expound more....

Pressuers Pro's fo lac Tic ?

Now that's tooo funny JIm! :cool:

Use strong enough chems and no need to worry about pressure on the wood.

In theory, yes. Try dropping the pressure with a nozzle, and see the difference. Getting closer allows the water particles to stay tighter on impact, giving you a net larger effect than shooting with high powered mist.

Phillip, our resident applied physics graduate, can expound more....

You are too funny!

No rocket science here. Cleaning efficency is the (grossly) the product of pressure and volume. If you increase the pressure beyond the capability of the substrate to resist it, damage occurs. In wood, this is pretty low. So, you must reduce the pressure to clean wood.

Now, let's say the max pressure you need to properly clean wood is 200 psi at the surface. If you use a full pressure tip and stand back 12" to accomplish that, your fan is 9" wide. At 5.5gpm, each square inch sees .61gpm. If you use a tip that provides only 800psi at the tip, you will probably only stand back 4" and your fan will be 2.9" wide. In this case, the wood will see 1.88gpm. This amounts to a 309% increase in volume.

Obviously, you can take this to an extreme and get 300psi at the tip and work in a 1/2 inch path at 11gpm/in. But who wants to clean a deck 1/2" at a time? So, ~800psi at the tip has generally be accepted as the best compromise of width and volume.

I Would lissen to Roger frome the island of Bleeach ( eNgland). Or Pressuers Pro's fo lac Tic ?

LOL...I had to read it five times but I finally got it. I don't know if that's a good thing. I am finally starting to decipher Jim Speak..scary.